Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

It's time for the NL to adopt the DH

With the new CBA in place it is time for the NL to adopt the DH.
    I used to be against it but I am all for it now.
    Interleague play will be year round next year under the CBA so it makes no sense to me to keep switching rules.
    The DH was discussed in the 1920's. The AL has had it for 40 years. The experiment has been a success.
    It is time for both leagues to play under the same rules and the DH is not going away in the AL.
    I am sick of watching a game and knowing the 9th batter will have a 90% chance of making an out.
    The NL league has a disadantage in interleague play because they don't build their rosters around a slugging DH.

Please NL adopt the DH and stop with the 2 different rules. And this comes from who would have never dreamed of saying this before.

Banned

Re: It's time for the NL to adopt the DH

Should have been:
    And this comes from someone who would have never dreamed of saying this before.

Snowball's Chance! AL baseball is boring because of the DH - less strategy, no double switches, no watching the pitcher hit. If the NL adopts the DH, I would seriously think about picking a different sport.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Why is it a snowballs chance?
    Is that what people said when the AL did it?

Banned

And watching the modern pitcher hit is painful.

Freddie -

No disrespect to you, but I have to strongly disagree with you.

1) The NL is the SENIOR Circuit - why should they have to change their rules to the league that hasn't been around as long?

2) The DH was supposed to be an experiment in 1973... but just like the IRS after WWI, it was an idea and experiment that got legs and doesn't look to stop anytime soon...

3) Realize that I grew up in Dallas as a Rangers fan since 1972 (1st year) so I had been watching AL (DH Powered) baseball my entire life until the Rockies started here in Denver in 1993 (I moved here in 1991). I never thought I'd like NL baseball, now I enjoy it more than AL by a long shot.

4) If you're a 'baseball' player, you should be able to HIT (regardless of position) and if you can hit, you should be able to FIELD a position. That's how the game was created and how I prefer to see it played.

All the best -

Smitty

P.S. - here's a link everyone might enjoy about Ron Blomberg - the 1st DH

History of the DH

Quote Originally Posted by freddiefreeman5 View Post
    With the new CBA in place it is time for the NL to adopt the DH.
    I used to be against it but I am all for it now.
    Interleague play will be year round next year under the CBA so it makes no sense to me to keep switching rules.
    The DH was discussed in the 1920's. The AL has had it for 40 years. The experiment has been a success.
    It is time for both leagues to play under the same rules and the DH is not going away in the AL.
    I am sick of watching a game and knowing the 9th batter will have a 90% chance of making an out.
    The NL league has a disadantage in interleague play because they don't build their rosters around a slugging DH.

Please NL adopt the DH and stop with the 2 different rules. And this comes from who would have never dreamed of saying this before.
    I feel the exact opposite. I say do away with the DH. If you are playing in the field you should be batting in the line up. That is the way we grow up playing and to me the pros should do it no differently.
    Russell Wuerffel
    Always looking for Chipper Jones game used bats and authenticated hits and MLB authenticated commemorative logo basballs.
    lakeerie92 @ yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by lakeerie92 View Post
    I feel the exact opposite. I say do away with the DH. If you are playing in the field you should be batting in the line up. That is the way we grow up playing and to me the pros should do it no differently.
    ABSOLUTELY AGREE....Do away with the DH...don't cheapen the game more by having the NL go to the DL.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jbsportstuff View Post
    ABSOLUTELY AGREE....Do away with the DH...don't cheapen the game more by having the NL go to the DL.
    I agree too.
    BUT the AL is never going to do away with the DH.
    So I would rather have one rule not 2.

Banned

All of you do make strong cases though and it brings back my strong feelings on the issue.
    Thank you all for giving me a deeper reflection of the issue.