Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 40 12311 ... LastLast

The Kansas City Royals game used thread

I know that we have several Royals collectors on the board, so I wanted to create a thread for fellow Royals collectors to learn from each other and educate each other. As well as a place for us to share our findings/pickups.

I'll start with my favorite baseball item in my collection. I was able to obtain this from fellow forum member Jerry S. He was kind enough to let me pry this away from his collection. Even though I have had it for a few months, I still have not created a display for it.

George Brett 1992 game used jersey. This road style jersey is my favorite Royals style of jersey ever (Road 1992-94), and it is also of my favorite player ever. My all time grail type baseball jersey would be George Brett's 3,000 hit jersey, but that is in the Royals HOF and I don't think that is going to be in my collection anytime soon. Here is a road jersey worn by Brett in 1992 just prior to his 3,000 hit. George wore this jersey in September of 1992 on road trips to NYY, Bal and Min. George inscribed the hits that he had while wearing this gamer (2,979-2,784, 2,994-2,996). Brett collected hits 2,997-3,000 in one night in a 4 hit game against the Angels. On this jersey there is the Joe Burke "JRB" memorial patch. On Brett's jerseys, he modified the patch to have a "JHB" which I believe was for his father Jack Brett. The jersey is unwashed and has residual pine tar on the left collarbone area and the back right shoulder.

The tagging on the front of the jersey isn't exactly like other 1992 Royals jerseys as they typically show the Year, set #, number, then name. The Intera Tag is on the neck of this Brett jersey. I will post an example of another 1992 gamer next.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Re: The Kansas City Royals game used thread

1992 Kevin Appier game used jersey

Perhaps the most underrated pitcher of the early 1990s, Kevin Appier was a favorite of mine growing up. His funky delivery and forkball were fun to watch. In 1992 Appier went 15-8 with a 2.46 ERA

This 1992 home jersey is minus the Joe Burke patch where the outline of the patch can still be seen. The tagging on the front of the jersey is consistent with most 1992 Royals gamers that I have seen. The sleeve cuffs are faded some and some pilling from the chest velcro can be seen

1989 Bret Saberhagen game used road jersey

1989 was an odd numbered year, so it was a great year for Sabes. He went 23-6 with a 2.16 ERA. As a kid this was one of my favorite seasons as the Royals were still competitive and Sabes was battling Dave Stewart for the Cy Young.

I obtained this jersey from the 2012 Hunt All Star game auction. We had previously discussed this jersey here . I had missed out on this jersey on ebay but it had had it's name restored and auctioned off for me to win it. Some pilling is present near the chest velcro.

The interesting thing about this jersey is that in 1989 Rawlings was the jersey supplier for the Royals, but this jersey is a Wilson made jersey. An easy way to spot the Wilson and Rawlings jerseys is by the number fonts. Sabes wore both Wilson and Rawlings that year. He was wearing the Wilson when he won his Royals record 23rd win in Oakland. Unfortunately I didn't win the SCP auction for the 1989 Saberhagen glove as that was a beauty. The two baseball cards show the Wilson and Rawlings styles

1986 David Cone game used rookie jersey

Another Royals Cy Young winner here. 1986 was Cone's rookie year. He was traded away to the Mets for the 87 season but returned to KC in 1993. He won a Cy Young in the 1994 season (If anyone has a 1994 Cone game used jersey let me know).

The jersey is made by Wilson. This jersey was possibly worn during his ML debut. I cannot verify this at all, but Cone made his debut at home. I have attached some screen shots from video of his debut. Unfortunately the game wasn't in HD.

Tom Gordon 1988 game used jersey

1988 was the year the Tom "Flash" Gordon first came up to the show. He debuted in September of that year before making a huge impact as a rookie in 1989.

This 1988 jersey was possibly worn during his ML debut as well. I cannot verify this but his debut was at home and I don't know how many jerseys a September call up gets.

I purchased this jersey with the name on back removed. Lon Lewis did a great job following the original outline of the removed letters and restoring it for me. The lettering is not a vertical arched lettering. Gordon can be seen in photos (not sure if spring training) wearing a home jersey with similar lettering.

Jeff Montgomery 1989 game used jersey (recycled)

The Royals all time saves leader was first issued this jersey in 1989. In 1989 Monty went 7-3 with 19 saves and a 1.37 ERA.

The name was removed and later recycled as remnants of a nameplate can also be seen. To my knowledge the Royals would send jerseys down to the minors to be recycled (if I am incorrect please chime in). I received the jersey with no name or nameplate present but the outline of both were visible. I had Lon Lewis restore Montgomery's name using the original outline and he did a great job again.

and another Royals pitcher....

Mark Gubicza 1990 jersey

The last Royals name restored jersey that I have is a 1990 Gubicza jersey. The jersey is from 1990 and has 2 inches of length added to it. Gubicza got hurt in 1990 after a promising start to his career. When I picked up this jersey the name on back had been removed but the outline was visible. I had Lon restore this jersey as well. Vertical Arch lettering present.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelofSF View Post
    Tom Gordon 1988 game used jersey

1988 was the year the Tom "Flash" Gordon first came up to the show. He debuted in September of that year before making a huge impact as a rookie in 1989.

This 1988 jersey was possibly worn during his ML debut as well. I cannot verify this but his debut was at home and I don't know how many jerseys a September call up gets.

I purchased this jersey with the name on back removed. Lon Lewis did a great job following the original outline of the removed letters and restoring it for me. The lettering is not a vertical arched lettering. Gordon can be seen in photos (not sure if spring training) wearing a home jersey with similar lettering.
    What I actually just noticed about my jersey is the front 3 and the back 3 are different fonts. The front 3 is more of the Wilson (more square) style "3" and the back "3" is more of the Rawlings (more turns/curved) style "3." The two photos of Gordon actually show him in a jersey with the same anomaly, that could actually be my jersey in the picture!

In addition to that, by his 1989 photos the home jerseys that he wears show the Rawlings style "3" present on both front and back photos. On his 1989 UD card he is wearing the same jersey with the front 3.

Very impressive jersey's.

I don't have much and no jersey's but I do have this Salvador Perez gamer photo matched to his first and so far his only game winning HR.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsnbikes View Post
    Very impressive jersey's.

I don't have much and no jersey's but I do have this Salvador Perez gamer photo matched to his first and so far his only game winning HR.
    It would help if I included the pic.