Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Royals Hunter Dozier 1st career RBI Jersey, Helmet and Hat

Recently I was researching a new item I got. It was a ball listed in an auction as the Royals Hunter Dozier career RBI #2 hit ball. While I was researching it I found out that it was actually his 2nd career hit and 1st career RBI ball.

I also remembered that the Royals Authentic's had auction off several items as Hunter Dozier's first career RBI items. Those consisted of a Jersey, Batting Helmet and a Hat. These items all went for a higher price because of that.

The situation:

On September 16, 2016 in the bottom of the 5th facing the White Sox, Hunter Dozier got a hit off of Chris Sale. The hit went to the SS Tyler Saladino who made a throwing error to 1st base and one run scored as an RBI and another run scored as a throwing error by Tyler. This would have been Hunters second career hit and first RBI but......

The problem:

That play was celebrated as his first RBI. Even the next night September 17, 2016, when Hunter got another RBI the TV announcers and TV infographics declared he had gotten his second RBI. RBI's in back to back games they say. However unbeknownst to everyone involved in the broadcast booth the play from the previous night had been challenged by the White Sox and MLB ruled in their favor. The play was revised to Reached on E6 (throw) (Ground Ball to SS-3B Hole); Perez Scores/unER/No RBI; Cuthbert Scores/unER/No RBI. This action took away Hunters hit and RBI on September 16, 2016.

The resolution:

I notified Royals Authentic's of this issue. They called the official scorer to see what was going on with that play. The official scorer verified that the White Sox challenged that play. The Royals Authentic's said that they would contact the winners of the auctions to let them know what was going on. The Royals Authentic's staff were very quick to reply to me and very quick to verify my findings and I am hoping quick to resolve this with the auction winners. Both myself and the Royals Authentic's believe that it was probably Chris Sale who wanted the play challenged. Just seems like a crappy thing to do to a Rookie just to shave off one earned run from your ERA.

The warning:

If you are the winner of any of these items then please contact the Royals Authentic's offices to find out what you need to do. If you have purchased these items from another seller then contact them ASAP and ask for your money back. I do not know what the Authentication on these items say but they were advertised as his first RBI game items. According to the official scoring those items are not from his official first RBI game. If you see these items for sale, do not buy them thinking they are from his first career RBI game.

The sad thing is:

The ball from September 16, 2016 was given to Hunter as his first career RBI ball. He believes that ball is a first in his career, and I guess technically was for up to 24 hours. When in actuality I have his first, and currently, only MLB RBI ball. The staff at Royals Authentic's said that they have a meeting during the offseason where the industry gets together. He said that he will raise this issue to them to see what should be done going forward in the future.

See pictures below for auction details and details from baseball-reference.com regarding this play (see line #3 and #4 of batting game log and #5 of 2016 results).
    Attached Images Attached Images