Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Heads Up NFL Auctions "Game Uused" Footballs

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    I disagree. I don't think the balls would be marked with a B. If they were, we'd see a lot more marked B. But what are the odds the only ones marked with a B are when Blakeman is the head ref.
    OK sure because you say so!

I think the backup ball theory makes the most sense. So balls 1 through 12 are removed at halftime and balls B1 through B12 are used for the second half. The reason there are no additional ref markings on the ends is because they were only used for this game and then sent to NFL auction.

Thanks for the conversation it's interesting to see what other guys thoughts are.

Quote Originally Posted by Abzk01 View Post
    OK sure because you say so!
    So you're right because you say so? Your link just says they have backup balls, nothing about backup balls being marked with a B.

Quote Originally Posted by RaidernatioN View Post
    I think the backup ball theory makes the most sense. So balls 1 through 12 are removed at halftime and balls B1 through B12 are used for the second half. The reason there are no additional ref markings on the ends is because they were only used for this game and then sent to NFL auction.

Thanks for the conversation it's interesting to see what other guys thoughts are.
    It's not a theory. I've literally asked a few NFL equipment managers. You will never see A1, C1, D9, etc just 1-12 or B1 - B12. Kicker balls have a "K" imprinted on it not written in sharpie. Just look at Getty Images.

If a ball is used for a subsequent game, additional marking which are usually numbers are added to the tip of the football. That's why you see some footballs with numerous numbers on the tip, never see a number 13 or greater, and I'm pretty certain every ball inspector or referee doesn't have a first or last name beginning with a "B" LMFAO at that "theory".

It's not a theory. I've literally asked a few NFL equipment managers. You will never see A1, C1, D9, etc just 1-12 or B1 - B12. Kicker balls have a "K" imprinted on it not written in sharpie. Just look at Getty Images.

If a ball is used for a subsequent game, additional marking which are usually numbers are added to the tip of the football. That's why you see some footballs with numerous numbers on the tip, never see a number 13 or greater, and I'm pretty certain every ball inspector or referee doesn't have a first or last name beginning with a "B" LMFAO at that "theory".

LOL.... I never said every ball inspector or referee has a first or last name beginning with B. I just pointed out all 3 footballs that have the "B" before the number, the head ref who would be marking the balls that game was Clete Blackman. So please show me a football that has B before the number that wasn't used during a Clete Blackman game.

Also say your theory is correct that the B stands for backup. Wouldn't RaidernatioN's football have a separate referee mark on the corner of the ball then?

I went and looked at more getty images and I believe you're correct about the B now because I see footballs marked with Clete Blakeman's number 34 on the end.

Quote Originally Posted by yanks12025 View Post
    Also say your theory is correct that the B stands for backup. Wouldn't RaidernatioN's football have a separate referee mark on the corner of the ball then?
    TBH, I don't think any "B" Football was used during that game. Game ball #10 or #12 has a 34 on the tip as does #5. If they used ball #10/12 and #5, that means the B set didn't see game play. It's possible they were warmup balls and likely uninspected. Based on the warm up technicality it's likely a game used for warmup. I didn't see any "B" balls for the Broncos either. If you can find warmup pictures, I bet you'd see a few "B" or unmarked balls.

Also this was the only Salute To Service game the Raiders played in while other teams are listed more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by RaidernatioN View Post
    Also this was the only Salute To Service game the Raiders played in while other teams are listed more than once.
    NFL game balls are all broken in prior to being used in games. The team never has 12 brand new balls, they are all used in practice and see a significant amount of use as game balls are hand picked practice balls. Even though the StS game is only 1 game, there still should be some decent use from being broken in. The laces should be brown and so on. I haven't seen your ball but I have some 1 off game balls that all show good use and they would have only been usable in 1 game.