Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Mad Hungarian Jersey?

The following item was just listed on ebay. I don't think the Braves wore this style pullover...ever, right? What then, might it be from? A minor league Braves team? I could be wrong, but I just couldn't find any photos of them wearing this style jersey in the 80's.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATLANTA-BRA...53.m1438.l2669

Re: Mad Hungarian Jersey?

That looks like a Richmond Braves jersey. Sizes are different as well.

Another thing the jersey's are tagged 83 on the bottom. Hrabosky did not play with Atlanta in 1983. Not sure were the seller gets 1982 from.

You're right. Richmond Braves 1983. Just looked and no evidence Hrabosky played for Richmond. I hope the bidders on the two sets of jerseys are Richmond Braves fans!

Quote Originally Posted by topekabob View Post
    You're right. Richmond Braves 1983. Just looked and no evidence Hrabosky played for Richmond. I hope the bidders on the two sets of jerseys are Richmond Braves fans!
    Hrabosky signed with the White Sox in 1983 but retired before the season started. So no way that is his in any way. I tried looking to see who was #39 for Richmond in 1983 but i cannot find a numerical roster.

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Mad Hungarian Jersey?

The Braves front on a 1979-86 Braves road gamer is the sign of a jersey once made for the MLB Braves but having a front script change from the city name to the team nickname for extra use in the Braves farm system, often at Richmond. With the alteration of the front script and the 83 year tag, it wouldn't have been used at Richmond til 1984, at the earliest.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    The Braves front on a 1979-86 Braves road gamer is the sign of a jersey once made for the MLB Braves but having a front script change from the city name to the team nickname for extra use in the Braves farm system, often at Richmond. With the alteration of the front script and the 83 year tag, it wouldn't have been used at Richmond til 1984, at the earliest.

Dave Miedema
    Good info. Thanks Dave !

Dave - Great info! So they probably wouldn't have changed the year tag (or would they?), so the best working theory is that it was a 1983 Braves gamer that was then turned into a Richmond Braves jersey? The seller is calling it a 1982 jersey, so is he/she going on the assumption that the year tag was changed? They don't mention that in the description.

Banned

Cool Re: Mad Hungarian Jersey?

Quote Originally Posted by topekabob View Post
    Dave - Great info! So they probably wouldn't have changed the year tag (or would they?), so the best working theory is that it was a 1983 Braves gamer that was then turned into a Richmond Braves jersey? The seller is calling it a 1982 jersey, so is he/she going on the assumption that the year tag was changed? They don't mention that in the description.
    I can count on my left hand (with room left over) the number of times I've seen a legit game jersey have the year tag changed. Back then, clubbies didn't focus on year tags, just on having items that were ready for players to wear. Seller is wrong about the year, and I believe was using 1982 as a means of trying to link Hrabosky to having used it.

Dave Miedema

I recently came across this jersey on ebay and the seller took the advice of this forum and wrote a long paragraph at the end of his description based on the findings here. Appears to be very honest and reputable; just didn't know what he had.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

1983 Braves #39 would be Len Barker?