Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

"Alterraun Verner" helmet from Hunt Super Bowl Auction, am I wrong or are they wrong?

Hey guys,

I'm the (maybe, possibly) proud winner of the Alterraun Verner helmet from the Super Bowl auction, and just got it in today. The first thing I checked because the helmet was dated as 2010 by Hunt was the facemask. The code on the facemask is DJH, which from my understanding that's coding for the year 2008, which would mean it was not Alterraun Verner's helmet, rather Nick Harper's.

Am I wrong to think Hunt missed an obvious oversight, and if so, do I have justification asking for a refund or partial refund? Verner is one of the few players I collect extensively, and had it been Nick Harper's helmet I probably would not have bid on it at all.

Thanks for any help in advance.

- Preston
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Since facemask can be removed from helmets and equipment managers will have hundreds of extra facemasks in the equipment room. Unles there was some kind of safety upgrade on the facemasks it may not be out of the realm of possibility for a 2008 manufactured facemask to end up on a helmet used in 2010.

And after looking at photos of Nick Harper wearing the helmet, Harper's had the air holes in his and Verner's doesn't. And the facemask is identical to Verner's, but Verner had a visor (which of course could also be easily removable).

I agree with the other member's reply - very routine for a 2010 player's helmet to have an earlier manufactured face mask. Also equipment guys will recycle a visor in a heartbeat too.

Pictures on Getty Images or AP Photos can help you locate this helmet in 2010 I'll bet.

Tom

Hey Tom, I thought so also but unfortunately there's nothing but a style match (I checked every last photo). BUT that makes me feel a lot better hearing that from multiple people.