Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: What player's items did you buy early in their career before they broke out?

Well, not that anything I've acquired was "cheap"... but I've been getting Billy Butler bats since early 2007. Even though he had a great season last year, hopefully he still has a break-out coming... I hope he's not one of those peaked-at-23yo players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Wes Campbell

Re: What player's items did you buy early in their career before they broke out?

Although Carlos Beltran was the '99 ROY and was a good player he didn't become famous until his 2004 postseason with the Astros. I started collecting Beltran in his early Royals days. Also I have been collecting Zack Greinke since his MLB debut in Oakland when I got a ball from the game that Desi Relaford threw to me. (Side story: At the end of every inning Mike Sweeney would throw the ball to Greinke's family which was seated a few seats to my left. One inning when the last play was an out to Desi Relaford he was nice enough to throw the ball to the other Royals fan in the Stadium, me). I would say that Greinke's 2009 Cy Young campaign would count as a breakout year.

Like Wes I have been collecting Butler, Gordon as well. Gordon has come with much more hype and has yet to breakout. Hoping (not holding my breath) that 2010 is his breakout year.

ive overspent on a chris davis g/u jersey and bat. Hope he turns it around. Recently picked up a saltalamacchia g/u glove. Hope it pans out, but if he tanks atleast i have a custom rawlings catchers mitt.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington

I have only collected GU items for six or seven years but I did get some early Sabathia and Cliff Lee jerseys before they became stars. Being an Indians collection, I have a few I young players I have bought and am hoping for (LaPorta, Carlos Santana and Brantley).

Quote Originally Posted by bigtruck260 View Post

If I had been collecting GU items back then, it would have been Dimitri Young. Not a bad career, but not a superstar.
    DaMeat as we called him during his time in Washington was a real delight. Fan friendly and always smiling.

A shame his diabetes caused major problems in his career in DC.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500

Name:  zimmerman_9_20_05b.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  262.1 KB

This was Ryan Zimmerman and me on September 20, 2005. He was a September callup and 20 years old. Ryan had a grand total of less than 3 months in the Minors and I handed him a ball for my son and a guy says to me, "Why would you waste a baseball on this kid?".

I think Ryan who who had a great Rookie year in 2006 w/ 110 RBI's and great glove and 2nd place finish in the ROY really achieved star status with a Silver Slugger this year and Gold Glove and All Star pick.

I was lucky enough to get one of his USA Baseball bats, and the first Nats jersey he ever wore and some other amazing items. Now his game used items are hot and tougher to get the really good items.
    Regards,
    Andrew Lang
    AllstarsPlus@aol.com
    202-716-8500