Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Preservation of Signed Balls

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to preserve signed baseballs in manner that allows you to look at them. I have tried the little ball cubes that claim to block UV Light, etc. The ink on the balls tend to still fade while they are located in the cubes.

Some baseballs even turn yellow when they are located in a dark closet.

A read an artilce that suggested wrapping the singned balls in sarand wrap.

Has anyone tried wrapping the balls in sarand wrap? Does it work?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Scott

Re: Preservation of Signed Balls

I have a large collection of autographed baseballs and one of the biggest keys to preservation would just be keeping the balls out of direct sunlight and other light forms. I keep all of mine in their cubes, and try not to open them often. I like some of mine to be displayed also just have to watch what kind of light hits them.
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.

Banned

One of the reason autographs change colors is because of the type of pen you use. Go with a blue ball point pen. I love to use BIC pens. Because the autographs are dark and bold. Second always use a MLB ball not a cheap baseball. It doesnt matther what type of pen you use on a cheap ball it will almost always fade away. I have never tried this but maybe if you spray the ball cubes with UV clear spray that might also work.

Smile Re: Preservation of Signed Balls

I just recently bought (off ebay) a shrink wrap machine and bags to do my entire baseball collection. This method looks great when done correctly and is airtight. I first saw this done several years ago at the National in Chicago. Then I put them in the U/V ball qubes and label the front of the cubes with a labeling machine. The shrink wrapping is definately an artform and takes awhile to get the hang of it. I think the machine and 500 6x9?? bags cost me around $50. I split the cost with a collecting buddy and we share the machine whenever needed. Definately use a blue ballpoint pen because the black pens tend to fade into a yellow color. Also try to handle the baseball as little as possible. Hold it by the seams because the oil from your skin will turn the baseball yellow over time. But most importantly keep out of direct sunlight. These are all tips that I use. If I'm not mistaken, the baseballs are not a synthetic material, so any exposure to environments that would decay the leather is a negative thing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kj33706 View Post
    I just recently bought (off ebay) a shrink wrap machine and bags to do my entire baseball collection. This method looks great when done correctly and is airtight. I first saw this done several years ago at the National in Chicago. Then I put them in the U/V ball qubes and label the front of the cubes with a labeling machine. The shrink wrapping is definately an artform and takes awhile to get the hang of it. I think the machine and 500 6x9?? bags cost me around $50. I split the cost with a collecting buddy and we share the machine whenever needed. Definately use a blue ballpoint pen because the black pens tend to fade into a yellow color. Also try to handle the baseball as little as possible. Hold it by the seams because the oil from your skin will turn the baseball yellow over time. But most importantly keep out of direct sunlight. These are all tips that I use. If I'm not mistaken, the baseballs are not a synthetic material, so any exposure to environments that would decay the leather is a negative thing.
    Can you post a link to the machine, the cheapest one I have found is for $175

If you shrink wrap a ball, wouldnt there be a chance of the ink coming off when you take the wrap off over time?

Saranwrap is a nice affordable way to keep auto baseballs preserved. Also, store in a cool, dry place. Some types of ink bleed no matter what... Ball point is the best.
    Thank you,
    Chris Nerat

I have done research on this topic before. Having collected baseballs for 30 years, it is disenheartening to look at baseballs I had signed in the late 80's and see yellow blotches on them. Makes you sick. I was told that in the instance the ball was handled by the player/promoter/yourself and one of the 3 had oily hands - that it would take years for this oil to show up on the ball. That is why I have many from the same time period that look as if they just took the ball outta the box!!

RK

Also keep in mind that for some time Rawlings used an inferior grade leather for the balls and that has caused discoloration on them over time. If my memory serves me correct, I believe it was especially true on balls marked "Haiti".

As far as conserving signed balls, I am starting to put together a sports room, and the first thing (ok second) I bought for the room was a heavy duty window shade. It blocks out most of the light when I am not in there. And I bought a bunch of Steiner ball displays, the glass top type. So unless I am in my room, I keep it as dark as possible. I also got some disposable rubber gloves to handle the balls as I place them in the cases. This will keep my oil from getting on the ball. We all have oil on our hands, just a fact of life. The more you do to protect your signed items from this oil, the less the chance of an unsightly fingerprint appearing.

If baseball is saran wrapped, would the signature ever become a problem or stick to the wrap? Is there any negative side to this method, I would be doing it by hand if I did give it a try. What you guys think?
    Looking for: Joey Votto game used items.