Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pete Rose FYIs

Re: Photo matched PR4192 Rose bat with surprise!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tacprc View Post
    fyi, in 1985 Rose started games against right-handed pitchers only. For the most part Tony Perez started the games against left-handed pitchers.
    fyi, here's a quote from page 165 of "Countdown To Cobb"

I'm getting asked a lot why I'm not starting myself against left-handers. ... When I played last year for Montreal, I didn't start against many lefthanders. I did early, but not late. When I came back to Cincinnati on August 17, I just decided to keep it that way.

During spring training this year I never had any doubt that Tony Perez would make our ball club, but he was primarily going to be my best pinch-hitter. I let him start at first base early in the season (beginning in the second week of May) and he did well against lefthanders, so I continued to use him against them.

Re: Pete Rose FYIs

fyi, here's a quote from page 196 of "Countdown To Cobb" that might shed light on what Pete would be wearing during batting practice in 1985

Saturday, September 7

Today was a scorcher. The termperature in Chicago reached 99 degrees and it was humid.

The weather got to me in batting practice. I got sicker than a dog and had to go in and take a cold shower. I guess I didn't realize how hot it was because, as usual, I wore a sweat jacket at practice. Larry Starr, our trainer, said that's probably why I got sick.

I felt OK once the game started, but I didn't get any hits.

fyi, here's a quote from page 165 of "Countdown To Cobb"

I'm getting asked a lot why I'm not starting myself against lefthanders. ... When I played last year for Montreal, I didn't start against many lefthanders. I did early, but not late. When I came back to Cincinnati on August 17, I just decided to keep it that way.
    fyi, in 1984 Rose hit only .211 against lefthanders while hitting .310 against righthanders.

Entering the 1985 season, Rose had a .292 lifetime batting average against lefthanders and a .311 career average against righthanders.

Overall Rose batted 2.64 = 107 hits against 405 at bats.
    Rose had 86 walks in 1985 -- a high number relative to his at-bats -- so he had a respectable .395 on base percentage for the season.

FYI, who cares? He cheated.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

fyi, Here's an interesting quote from page 145 of "Countdown To Cobb."

"Wednesday, July 24

... I had two singles today, which leaves me 31 hits short of breaking the Cobb record. We've got 70 games to go.

I singled to right in the first inning off Rick Aguilera to give us a 1-0 lead. He threw me the same pitch that I had swung on and missed before. I just choked up on the bat a little more the second time. Made the bat lighter and quicker. He was throwing a little harder than I thought."

This makes me wonder why Rose would need to use a lighter, corked bat if he could just choke up on his regular bat.

Why don't you just post the whole book in this thread? I'm not quite sure what your point is here.

Can you post the part where he denies cheating over and over again only to admit it years later.

I hope you are not quoting this lying degenerates book as truth, the dude has a long history of lying.

fyi, Here's an interesting quote from page 145 of "Countdown To Cobb."

"Wednesday, July 24

... I had two singles today, which leaves me 31 hits short of breaking the Cobb record. We've got 70 games to go.

I singled to right in the first inning off Rick Aguilera to give us a 1-0 lead. He threw me the same pitch that I had swung on and missed before. I just choked up on the bat a little more the second time. Made the bat lighter and quicker. He was throwing a little harder than I thought."

This makes me wonder why Rose would need to use a lighter, corked bat if he could just choke up on his regular bat.
    Because he might have believed the cork gave him an advantage, a little extra pop off the bat. This was before several studies and tests were done to see if cork actually helped. It's the reason why anyone from baseball would try cork....because everyone is always looking for an edge.

FYI...

If you punch Pete Rose Bat into an anagram engine you get Operate Bets.