• issued by manufacturer but not sent to team

0 0%
  • issued by team but not issued to the player

3 13.04%
  • issued to the player but not issued for a particular game

12 52.17%
  • issued to the player for a particular game but not used

8 34.78%

What does the term "game issued" mean to you?

Since there's no general agreement on what means what with some of the terms used in the hobby I personally would not call out anyone selling an item with a description that means something different to them than it does to me. I would just ask questions about the item and bid or not bid accordingly. The term "game issued jersey" seems to generate a lot of controversy so I thought I would post a poll to see what collectors think about when they see that term:

1) a jersey issued by the manufacturer cut for game use but not meant to go to the actual team

2) a jersey obtained directly from the team but not actually issued to the player

3) a jersey issued to a particular player and obtained from the player or the team but not actually issued for a particular game

4) a jersey issued for a specific game either as primary jersey or backup jersey, but not actually used in that game (perhaps the player was a "late scratch" to use a hockey term or the backup jersey was not needed)

I'm not really sure how to post a poll so if it doesn't work feel free to just reply with an answer and if you have another definition of the term please post it. Thanks!

Re: What does the term "game issued" mean to you?

I think as long as the team had it ready to go to be handed to the player to be put on then it is player issued.

genius,

For the purpose of this discussion, is there a distinction between "game-issued" and "team-issued", or do those two terms have the same meaning?

THanks,

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Always looking for World Football League jerseys, AFL/NFL durene jerseys, Atlanta Falcons jerseys, and Willie McGee and Darren Lewis game-used items.

In my years of collecting, the 2 terms have always been interchangeable for Football, hockey and basketball jerseys....I don't do much baseball, so not as sure.

The terminology in this hobby is very inconsistent. I personally use the term "game-ready" for any item, including balls and bats, that are available for use in a game but not used. ( EG extra post-season balls after the last game.)

I use "team-used" for items used in practice, or otherwise to help a team, but not required by the rules as part of the game. Thus, an official batting-order card given to the umpire is game-used. But a dugout lineup card is team-used because it's not required by the rules, and a mistake on the dugout card has no official significance. A pitcher's rubber on the mound is game-used; but in the bullpen it's team-used, etc. All this is just my own preferences in terms.

The best suggestion is for sellers to give more detailed descriptions to avoid confusion on the inconsistent terms in our hobby.

<<<For the purpose of this discussion, is there a distinction between "game-issued" and "team-issued", or do those two terms have the same meaning?>>>

I'm trying to figure out what the term "game issued" means to most collectors. For me, team issued is different from game issued. Team issued comes from the team but was never handed to a player, game issued was meant in some way for a game (i.e. "what game was it issued for") but it was never used. I know that most sellers don't use that term in that way though.

so is this considered game issued or pro-cut? the actual game worn jersey does not have extra length.

http://josportsco.com/view_product.asp?ProductID=7718