Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Joe Montana Jersey.... what is it??

Hey Guys!
    So, i know a lot of threads have been made over the years about these old Wilson Montana jerseys. Yay for Wilson making the retail so similar to gamers lol. Sadly, this thread is just like all the others - pics of a Wilson. It'll prob end like all the others as well with people saying thats a nice retail shirt - BUT there are a few things that make me wonder if this was intended as a potential gamer.
    First off, this came from a collection. This kid came by the office with 4 framed jerseys. Marino, Payton, Thurman Thomas, and Montana.
    Frame job was old, but we paid $10 for the PSA quick opinion thing and they came back good so we figured if we get them cheap enough, we can pull em out of the frames, send em away for sig authentication and then get a nice new frame job on em. Kid said his father was friends with all these guys and that the jerseys were given to his father as gifts from the players over the years. So, it essentially boiled down to what and where the players grabbed the stock from.
    The Thurman was a game jersey, no doubt non retail real deal Champion.
    Marino, retail 1992 size 48 tagged EN.
    The Payton is the same EY and size 44. Odd note to this shirt, there are a TON of authentic Wilson Walter Payton jerseys out there. Some have the old tagging, some have the typical 90s tagging.
    THIS Wilson has the 80s tagging, but was made in 92 (ey) and has the NFL shield logo on it below the circle neck hole. Just odd in that I couldnt find another with old tagging on a 92 PLUS the NFL shield. Just a bit of a variant is all.
    Now, the Montana is a little beat up but it was weird to me that the other Wilson jerseys have nice crispy jock tags. This one doesn't, and it also has been markered. Next to the CV tag, its been sharpied and the 48 has been crossed out and the number 46 was written. These were all old frame jobs ( early 90s) and as the game used hobby has changed quite a lot since then and as one couldnt just hop on the internet and google what size jersey montana wore, i feel like the original source made these markings.
    Everything is stitched. The W looks to be on the correct sleeve and on the middle stripe (stripes are the only things screened)

Anyone ever seen anything like this? We didnt know if it should just be popped back in a frame and sold as a retail authentic montana auto or if there might be something more to this. Sadly, there are some marks and dings BUT until i get it cleaned up to where i can make an educated guess i cant tell if its just frame job wear.

Thanks for the help and im interested to hear what you 9er/montana experts think. Much appreciated!!

Re: Joe Montana Jersey.... what is it??

I don't know much about 49ers jerseys, but your description of the Payton interests me. Any chance you could post pics of the Payton?

CBCollector.com
    Collecting
    Chicago Bears game used/worn memorabilia.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrcha View Post
    I don't know much about 49ers jerseys, but your description of the Payton interests me. Any chance you could post pics of the Payton?

Here you are sir. What an auto huh?!?

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Joe Montana Jersey.... what is it??

As you might know, Payton's last season was 1987. The NFL neck logo wasn't added until 1991. Nice autographed authentic Payton jersey, but definitely not a gamer.

Dave Miedema

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    As you might know, Payton's last season was 1987. The NFL neck logo wasn't added until 1991. Nice autographed authentic Payton jersey, but definitely not a gamer.

Dave Miedema

Thanks for weighing in Dave!
    As i mentioned in my 1st post though, I know the Payton was just a retail authentic. What I thought was odd was the older Wilson Jock Tag with a 1992 jersey that had the post 91 shield. I debated even putting the payton pics in the post as I dont want my Montana question getting lost in the shuffle - but since someone requested pictures I obliged. This one was more or less bought for such a nice thick auto with the sweetness on a older authentic jersey. No mystery to this one other than the tagging with the shield and the only thing i can guess is wilson was doing some sort of throwback tagging?

Im more curious to know what up with the montana and why theres sharpie markings for size etc. As i mentioned, the marino and payton have crispy size and date tags. This one does not

Banned

Cool Re: Joe Montana Jersey.... what is it??

I'd have to see it in hand to say for sure, but the fact that the Montana jersey is a road shirt, that is a somewhat positive sign. The vast majority of 1990s 49ers jersey of Montana I've seen floating around are red homes, not white roads.

Dave M.

Interesting! Through my search it did seem there were a lot of reds, so as you mentioned that might be a good sign. That said, i wish i knew more about the specs, if font changed and if this is accurate etc. Looks to me like it is, but some 49er guys were getting super specific in sime of the older montana inquiry threads and in one instance i couldnt even tell the difference in the font that was pointed out. Thanks again for all the help!! I appreciate it!