Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Grey Flannel Auction

Very pleased with the results of the recent Grey Flannel auction! Both as a consignor and buyer. Great auction with many rare pieces. Definitely looking forward to the next one!

Re: Grey Flannel Auction

Interesting.

I think when items from an auction company get called out continuously at every auction that raises a red flag to me. Regardless of the company, ethics plays a big part for me. I am not going to support companies that are less than honest.

To each their own though.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil316 View Post
    Interesting.

I think when items from an auction company get called out continuously at every auction that raises a red flag to me. Regardless of the company, ethics plays a big part for me. I am not going to support companies that are less than honest.

To each their own though.
    This. Also I checked the prices out of curiosity when I woke up at 7am est the following day and it was still open. I'm under the assumption they go to sleep and then close the thing when they wake up seeing as how it's an east coast company.

I agree with Birds - they have a 10-minute rule in place - i.e., all lots remain open until 10 minutes have passed with no bids, then all lots close at once. Strange how other big auction houses have a 15 minute rule and generally close the auctions around 4 or 5 am, but with GF's 10 minute rule, they are somehow able to get enough bids every 10 minutes to keep the auction open until 9am?!?!

Seems a little fishy to me.

Thumbs up Re: Grey Flannel Auction

Quote Originally Posted by Danny899 View Post
    Very pleased with the results of the recent Grey Flannel auction! Both as a consignor and buyer. Great auction with many rare pieces. Definitely looking forward to the next one!
    LOL Thanks for the advertisement! Next time try to be a little less obvious!

Actually I thought some of the prices were pretty "light" so not sure I would have been too happy if I had been a consignor.

JE

Depending on what he sent in I will agree with the OP. I didn't cosign to this auction and Ive actually never cosigned to GF. I won 4 items from this auction that I'm very happy with the prices. There was also items that I thought to myself really someone paid that much for that. I will agree with Birds and say closing the next day I don't even know when I think it was 9-10 MTN time is ridiculous.

You just have to do your homework like with any game used item. I personally have found more mis labeled or bad items with mlb holograms than we have auction house items on here and everyone loves that mlb hologram. These people that are anti this place and anti that place crack me up but everyone has an opinion and I'm okay with that. The members on here have picked out bad items from EVERY major auction house. Yes I do believe Ken does the best job addressing them with this community, but in a larger scale what percentage of bidders do you think we make up? The majority of auction houses will address the items and if the item is deemed bad they will pull it eventually. To me all the major auction houses are all pretty competitive in pricing I will see some items that I'm thinking they really paid that for this and I'm thinking that's all someone paid for that.

If you bring up Lou Lampson on here everyone cringes but the thing is Lou Lampson didn't become Lou Lampson in this hobby without some great items. Do I think he did the collecting community wrong along with a ton of other people/companies in this hobby, yes but that's not going to stop me from buying an item that fits my collection or if cheaper than what I feel is market price. The majority of collectors on here live in the US and buy from crooks on a daily basis whether its clothes, shoes, cars, food, ect. I collect Jordan shoes and the average cost to make a pair of Jordans is 10-20$, selling them at 200$ plus is a crime to me. Some collectors on here would never buy a thing with a LL LOA, I own 1 item a LL LOA and I'm happy with it. This goes with the majority of companies that have a bad name, they have some bad items but they have some great ones if you do your homework you will be happy with your purchase. That's enough with my rant, have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    Depending on what he sent in I will agree with the OP. I didn't cosign to this auction and Ive actually never cosigned to GF. I won 4 items from this auction that I'm very happy with the prices. There was also items that I thought to myself really someone paid that much for that. I will agree with Birds and say closing the next day I don't even know when I think it was 9-10 MTN time is ridiculous.

You just have to do your homework like with any game used item. I personally have found more mis labeled or bad items with mlb holograms than we have auction house items on here and everyone loves that mlb hologram. These people that are anti this place and anti that place crack me up but everyone has an opinion and I'm okay with that. The members on here have picked out bad items from EVERY major auction house. Yes I do believe Ken does the best job addressing them with this community, but in a larger scale what percentage of bidders do you think we make up? The majority of auction houses will address the items and if the item is deemed bad they will pull it eventually. To me all the major auction houses are all pretty competitive in pricing I will see some items that I'm thinking they really paid that for this and I'm thinking that's all someone paid for that.

If you bring up Lou Lampson on here everyone cringes but the thing is Lou Lampson didn't become Lou Lampson in this hobby without some great items. Do I think he did the collecting community wrong along with a ton of other people/companies in this hobby, yes but that's not going to stop me from buying an item that fits my collection or if cheaper than what I feel is market price. The majority of collectors on here live in the US and buy from crooks on a daily basis whether its clothes, shoes, cars, food, ect. I collect Jordan shoes and the average cost to make a pair of Jordans is 10-20$, selling them at 200$ plus is a crime to me. Some collectors on here would never buy a thing with a LL LOA, I own 1 item a LL LOA and I'm happy with it. This goes with the majority of companies that have a bad name, they have some bad items but they have some great ones if you do your homework you will be happy with your purchase. That's enough with my rant, have a great Memorial Day weekend.
    I don't really understand your logic or maybe i have higher morals than you. Either way to each his own.

Definitely not wanting to cause any trouble, but I won an item in this auction as well (I won't bid on their in house stuff, but they had a PSA/DNA Game Used Bat that I was interested in so I went for it) doesn't mean I don't have any morals...c'mon now. Goldin Auctions just recently had a Bernard King gamer on their auction site that had a Basketball Hall of Fame letter with it, but if I recall those were issued with Grey Flannel LOA's when Grey Flannel was the official authenticators of the Hall of Fame. It might be under the BBall HOF letter, but it's word for word a copy of the description from Grey Flannel's LOA. I know this because a few years ago I won an item from them during their BBall hall of fame auction and it came with two LOA's...the Grey Flannel one and BBall HOF one, but there's no difference, same exact wording, only signed by the hall of fame. Does that make Goldin Auctions wrong for accepting a consignment with an LOA from them? You have your reasons for avoiding them, those that chose to win stuff have theirs, and that's fine like you said to each his own...I just don't think it's right to question someone morals over it

Quote Originally Posted by CPuente57 View Post
    Definitely not wanting to cause any trouble, but I won an item in this auction as well (I won't bid on their in house stuff, but they had a PSA/DNA Game Used Bat that I was interested in so I went for it) doesn't mean I don't have any morals...c'mon now. Goldin Auctions just recently had a Bernard King gamer on their auction site that had a Basketball Hall of Fame letter with it, but if I recall those were issued with Grey Flannel LOA's when Grey Flannel was the official authenticators of the Hall of Fame. It might be under the BBall HOF letter, but it's word for word a copy of the description from Grey Flannel's LOA. I know this because a few years ago I won an item from them during their BBall hall of fame auction and it came with two LOA's...the Grey Flannel one and BBall HOF one, but there's no difference, same exact wording, only signed by the hall of fame. Does that make Goldin Auctions wrong for accepting a consignment with an LOA from them? You have your reasons for avoiding them, those that chose to win stuff have theirs, and that's fine like you said to each his own...I just don't think it's right to question someone morals over it
    I understand what your saying. Maybe that was a bad way to word it to jbean023. I was trying to say that for me and my collection I try and avoid certain situations that could be an issue in the future.