Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Retail cleats "game used" by McGwire?

Thanks for summarizing Larry Walker Fan. Glad u could keep the dead horse moving! LOL #getoverit

Quote Originally Posted by seanbaseball View Post
    Thanks for summarizing Larry Walker Fan.
    You're welcome. Glad to be of help.

Quote Originally Posted by LarryWalkerFan View Post
    You're welcome. Glad to be of help.
    I wonder if u actually collect anything or u just stalk this website and others to criticize other peoples items. Ive never seen u post a pickup. Perhaps you are too busy conducting your "research". You seem to have an opinion on a lot of items but expertise on nothing. You know nothing about me but continue to challenge me and beat a dead horse. Your not going to prove the cleats werent game worn and it must be driving u nuts! Ive gotten a lot of emails from people asking me what your problem is and why u are so concerned with my cleats. I can only explain that the world has some assholes in it and u fit the mold. Get a life!

Can we just lock this thread already?

Quote Originally Posted by seanbaseball View Post
    I wonder if u actually collect anything or u just stalk this website and others to criticize other peoples items. Ive never seen u post a pickup. Perhaps you are too busy conducting your "research". You seem to have an opinion on a lot of items but expertise on nothing. You know nothing about me but continue to challenge me and beat a dead horse. Your not going to prove the cleats werent game worn and it must be driving u nuts! Ive gotten a lot of emails from people asking me what your problem is and why u are so concerned with my cleats. I can only explain that the world has some assholes in it and u fit the mold. Get a life!
    I collect game used hats. I also have a bunch (two dozen is a bunch for me) of game used bats, some cleats (five pairs), a couple helmets and some hockey sticks. Does the volume of acquisition work as the current standard for one's participation in a hobby? I always thought that would be more of a standard of one's participation in a business. For me, this isn't a business; it's a hobby. I buy things I enjoy, and I like to know that they're real.

I don't understand how I'm challenging you by posting your own thoughts. You did say you removed the signature from the cleats, and you did say you didn't feel that was altering them.

As for these cleats, I'm not concerned with ALL of your cleats. I'm specifically concerned with this pair of McGwire retail cleats. To begin with, I had a general concern for this model (sold by VSA), but you disclosed they're the same exact pair, so my concern evolved.

In the autograph industry, there's a general phrase that goes along the lines of "you collect your mistakes." It means that once you make a mistake in buying something, you'll never be able to get rid of it.

I harp on this item, so to speak, because it represents a larger subgroup of McGwire (and perhaps Cardinals) items: If it's verified that one pair of retail cleats was used by McGwire during his Cardinals tenure (by which time, Nike was using "promo" tags for shoes sent to McGwire), then it's possible that many retail cleats could have been game used. It actually extrapolates that any retail cleats could be potentially represented as game used.

I don't know if this is a hobby or business for you, but for me, it's a hobby. I like watching baseball, and this hobby allows me to feel a deeper connection with the history of the game.

As for posting my collection, is that required for membership on this site? If so, I wasn't informed of that.

I have no issue with you asking about the cleats. You've done that many times ad nauseam. People have chimed in also. You dont seem to be able to let go of the issue and u definitely are making it out that i sold bad cleats. U cant prove that they are bad but yet u continue to say it. it seems that forum rules would say that u cant keep accusing me of something that is false and u cant prove. Either prove it or drop it. I really was trying to do the right thing to erase the signature EVEN THOUGH IT HAD A JSA LETTER. How many people do u know that would do that? Doing that cost me money.
    I too am a collector. I bought a big collection of 400 items in January and sold many of them through ebay. I do not do this for a living nor will I ever! This hobby allows me to enjoy the game and keeps my mind occupied with something that is normally positive while I care for my ill wife waiting for a transplant. U can keep the thread alive if u wish. I am confident that no one really cares. I truly don't value your opinion nor respect the way u conduct yourself. Good riddance

Sorry. I couldn't find a clear picture for June, but I went through Getty Images for 1999, as you suggested and got these. I'm not sure if this satisfies your need for proof, but it seems clear he didn't wear retail cleats in 1999.

Apr 1999:

May 1999:

July 1999:

Aug 1999:

Sept 1999:

Oct 1999:

You told me to show proof (evidence?) of why I felt retail cleats weren't used. I did that. How does that lead to your statement that I need mental help? That's actually insulting to make light of individuals who suffer from mental or physiological disorders.