Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Gold watch from The Babe

Looking for some help. I was introduced to a woman that had a gold pocket watch with the inscription "To Bumpy from Babe" Dec 25, 1937". She beleives it may have been a gift from Babe Ruth to his adopted daughter. She had this piece listed on ebay but at the time was unaware that it may be a Babe Ruth related item so it was not mentioned in the title or description. If this piece is legit how do you proove it would have come from Babe Ruth? Here are some pics from her original listings. These were only at 96 pixels when I copied them over so I hope they will be clear enough. I think its a great watch either way.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Re: Gold watch from The Babe

You would need to get provenance from the Ruth family before anyone would ever buy that as something Ruth had owned. Julia Ruth Stevens is still alive as far as I know....not sure about Ruth's other daughter. But I doubt either are in the business of authenticating memorabilia and probably would ignore any request to look at something like this.

Thats what I figured. Thought I will give it one last effort for her. Thanks for your time, greatly appreciated.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Bill,

Can you say more about why she believes this to be the case? Was Bumpy his adopted daughter's name? Since she did not initially believe this to be the case, what evidence did she come across (and who presented it to her) that made her come to the conclusion that Babe gave it to his adopted daughter? It's a very interesting piece and I'd like to hear more of the story behind it. Thank you,

Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by sportscentury View Post
    Bill,

Can you say more about why she believes this to be the case? Was Bumpy his adopted daughter's name? Since she did not initially believe this to be the case, what evidence did she come across (and who presented it to her) that made her come to the conclusion that Babe gave it to his adopted daughter? It's a very interesting piece and I'd like to hear more of the story behind it. Thank you,

Reid
    Reid,
    I am not sure who pointed the info/idea out to her. She had originally listed the watch on ebay with a large starting bid just as a rare watch (no bids). She told me later she had done some research and found out that the Babe called his adopted daughter "Bumpy" and that he gave his daughters high quality special gifts. I have not had the opportunity to examine the piece in person, only the photos she emailed me which I have posted. I was asked for help in trying to help her authenticate the piece or find out as much as possible. I think it is a great piece either way (one way better than the other ). She had mentioned that she may take the watch to Sotheby's to see what they could come up with. It will be interesting if we have the opportunity to see it at a major auction house. Wish I could say more but our conversation was brief. Email me if you would like me to forward the ebay auction. I would be happy to do so.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Which daughter did he call Bumpy?

Quote Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
    Which daughter did he call Bumpy?
    Adopted daughter Dorothy Pirone. She was the favorite according to this woman.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Bill,

Interesting stuff ... thanks very much for sharing. I don't need the auction #, but thanks for offering. I was just interested in the story behind this. If you stay in touch with her and find out more, please give us an update.

Have a good week,
    Reid
    Always looking for top NBA game worn items of superstar and Hall-of-Fame-caliber players (especially Kobe, LeBron, MJ, Curry and Durant). Also looking for game worn items of all players from special events (e.g., All Star Game, NBA Finals, milestone games, etc.). Please contact me at gameusedequip2@hotmail.com. Thank you.

Bill,

You may want to email the Babe Ruth museum. They would likely be aware of his daughter's nickname.

Rob L

Here is a little more information. Although Dorothy Pirone was, in fact, adopted by Ruth and his wife, Helen, Dorothy was also Ruth's only biological child. That fact may account for the claim that Ruth gave her "special gifts." Here is the basic reference:

"Linda Tosetti, 51, and her three sisters are Ruth's four surviving blood grandchildren. Their mother, Dorothy Ruth Pirone, who died in 1989 was Ruth's only biological child.

What she knows about the Babe she's had to learn from her older siblings, who delighted in the visits from the large, jovial man.
    Ruth died in 1948, three years before Tosetti was born. Her grandmother, Juanita Jennings, never married Ruth and had their daughter Dorothy when the slugger was married to his first wife, Helen.
    Ruth and his wife adopted Dorothy, who didn't learn the identity of her biological mother until she was 59 years old. Dorothy Pirone authored the 1988 book ``My Dad, the Babe.'' Ruth later adopted another daughter, Julia, with his second wife, Claire.

Mike Jackitout7@aol.com