Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Daryle Lamonica Raiders Helmet from AFL Championship Game??

Found something I didn't see before on the striping on back, there is an outline of the number 3 on the black stripe between the 2 rear rivets. The number 3 outline is 2" tall and 3/8" thick. Hard to get a good pic to show what I'm talking about but why would Lamonica have a number back there? The photo that I put at the beginning of this post that is black and white kinda shows what looks like a white number. It is against the Jets in 1968. Anybody got any ideas? Also looks like the side decals were replaced at one time and lowered a little bit, faint outline is visible. Remember it has the 1968 date in the helmet and photo matching for the 1969 year with the little Raider decal on front. The number on the back stripe confuses me. Need help, anybody know why??

Wow, never knew, he did wear a white-ish colored number on the back. Found a 1968 Raider-Jets regular season game from November 17, 1968.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I didn't even see the area where the decal was pulled back and fresher silver paint area off to the left of the black decal where the number 3 was. Has 2 distinct decal edge line impression. Almost positive it is the 1968 Heidi game helmet. If so, wow.

Quote Originally Posted by bgakladd View Post
    Almost positive it is the 1968 Heidi game helmet. If so, wow.
    Understatement of the century

Not many scores better than this.

If you're a Raiders fan, don't sell it! If you're not...$$$$$$$$! Either way, congratulations again on a once-in-a-lifetime score!

Another photo of the Daryle Lamonica 1968-1969 game worn Oakland Raiders helmet. Here is a little bit better pic of the decal marks that are like the location of the decal he is wearing in the Heidi game photo from November 17, 1968. The glue residue is clearly there and parts of the #3 are very visible on the black tape when the helmet is seen in person. The highlight games with this helmet seem to be the Heidi game against the Jets and AFL playoffs in 1968 and the little Raiders decal added in 1969 with noteable games with Buffalo (6 TD passes) and also the 1969 AFL playoffs, with an MVP year in 1969.

Wow....cool! Awesome Raider relic!

It took awhile, but I finally got the 1968-69 Daryle Lamonica Oakland Raiders football helmet back in shape. Thanks to Curtis at HelmetHut for some of the parts I needed! Looks just like the day he last wore it. Now to decide what to do with it.

bgakladd send me an email at lsraider@bellsouth.net

Not a Raiders fan, but what an unbelievable piece of history! Congrats on the purchase. I am still waiting for the day I run into something like that!!!