Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which items/players are you taking out of circulation?

Most of us snag GU things if the price is right, knowing we'll probably let them go in the future when the time is right. But I would be curious to know which player, team or type of collectible are you buying and KEEPING? Five years from now, ten years from now, barring some catastrophe in your life, what will you still own?

For me, of course, the answer is anything related to the Houston Gamblers of the USFL. The only exception I have ever made is giving a GU Gamblers jersey to Dr. Jerry Argovitz, who owned the team!

Let's hear from all you hardcore collectors!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com

Re: Which items/players are you taking out of circulation?

I would have to say my game-used baseball gloves would be untouchable. I have never resold one that I did not regret selling. I guess it's because they are so personal and something that has the most significant connectionwith the player. If any collectible could talk, the glove would have so many more stories to tell.

Dave Silverbrand

My Titans game used jerseys and Memphis Tigers gamers are definitely untouchable. Certain autographed items are untouchable, as is my Peyton Manning signed, game worn hat.

Sean Burroughs Minor League and Major League stuff. Pablo Ozuna marlins bats. These guys were my heros(prospect hyped) growing up reading Baseball America monthly. Best of all their stuff is decently priced these days.

chattassemble@hotmail.com

I'm a borderline hoarder with my baseball and hockey stuff so I would say pretty much anything i own is out of circulation.

My Jose Contreras and Cuba national team stuff is pretty much mine forever. There isn't much of a market for them and they have too much sentimental value for me. Also, if I get any 1973-1975 Flyers, I'll be keeping those too.

None of my "SKI" jerseys are going anywhere.

At this point, I would hope to never sell any items given to me directly from players. Also, there are certain UNC basketball and football game worn items I plan on keeping as long as I live.

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    Most of us snag GU things if the price is right, knowing we'll probably let them go in the future when the time is right....

Let's hear from all you hardcore collectors!!!
    Perhaps its how someone defines a collector that allows for whether the premise of this thread makes much sense.

For me, being able to afford, and to rationalize an item as itself being priced within reason is a precursor for choosing to buy something. But, I have absolutely never bought something thinking that I'd probably let it go in the future. In my perspective, such may be the difference between collecting (a hobby) and seeking some scale of business enterprise.

Last year there was a time I could have added an all star player's MLB authenticated item to an order which was extremely under priced. I knew I had no taste for the player and others did. Rather than buying it for profit motivations, I left it for somebody else and I've been pleased that whomever did buy it seems to have been the right person (I haven't seen it resold).

I don't have any distaste for dealers or 99% of "collectors". But its my humble opinion that certain dealers who claim not to be (dealers) have a large adverse affect on the hobby we love. There is a big difference between somebody who will buy something that they later resell or trade the item once in a while in contrast to folks who basically treat game used as a business (while portraying themselves as collectors to their suppliers).

Perhaps discussing the absolute of taking an item out of circulation might fit better into the context of collecting (as a hobby rather than enterprise) if you discussed it within the realm of "what wouldn't you trade under any circumstance?".... or "what would be the last item you'd sell if you had to sell some of your collection?"

Quote Originally Posted by dplettn View Post
    Perhaps its how someone defines a collector that allows for whether the premise of this thread makes much sense.

For me, being able to afford, and to rationalize an item as itself being priced within reason is a precursor for choosing to buy something. But, I have absolutely never bought something thinking that I'd probably let it go in the future. In my perspective, such may be the difference between collecting (a hobby) and seeking some scale of business enterprise.

Last year there was a time I could have added an all star player's MLB authenticated item to an order which was extremely under priced. I knew I had no taste for the player and others did. Rather than buying it for profit motivations, I left it for somebody else and I've been pleased that whomever did buy it seems to have been the right person (I haven't seen it resold).

I don't have any distaste for dealers or 99% of "collectors". But its my humble opinion that certain dealers who claim not to be (dealers) have a large adverse affect on the hobby we love. There is a big difference between somebody who will buy something that they later resell or trade the item once in a while in contrast to folks who basically treat game used as a business (while portraying themselves as collectors to their suppliers).

Perhaps discussing the absolute of taking an item out of circulation might fit better into the context of collecting (as a hobby rather than enterprise) if you discussed it within the realm of "what wouldn't you trade under any circumstance?".... or "what would be the last item you'd sell if you had to sell some of your collection?"
    Uhhhh... Ok.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Anthony Nunez
    Historian, USFL Houston Gamblers
    www.Houston-Gamblers.com