Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Gino Cappaletti 1960 Helmet??

neefan drop me an email ejsamm@yahoo.com

The Patriots wore 3 different style helmets in 1960 season

Hat Logo No Numbers Pre Season
    Hat Logo Blue Numbers First Few Games
    Hat Logo Red Numbers Remainder of the season

The problem with black and white photos is you cant tell what color the numbers are. Logo placement could of changed with different changes but you would need to dig thru a 61 Patriots Yearbook or 1960 programs and Boston Record American or Herald Traveler Archives to be certain. The logo is different as far as length of the White outline in the two non Cappelletti photos the white ends about 1/4 inch from end of the logo, in the Cappelletti photo it extends all the way to the end. The top border on # 11 & # 83 is wider than the border on the Cappelletti. It could be that the # 11 & # 83 are the Blue early season #'s and that the logos were changed out when the red #'s were put in place??????????? I am not defending the helmet or attacking the helmet. Much more research is needed to determin what we are looking at.

To Mr. I had enough:

Sir, if you would take the time to re-read my post which you so readily bashed, I think you will find that I made no mention or voiced no concern over any number placement on the helmet. The white border that I refer to is the white line along the top of the hat decal. The amount of blue space that can be seen between the tip of the white line and the edge of the decal does not appear to be the same on your photo vs the actual game worn helmet.

Also, I never voice an opinion on your offered item being real or not real. I only supplied photo documentation to the members of this forum who have raised question about this item that you offer. My intent is to help fellow forum members in their attempt to make an educated decision, whether or not they decide to bid on this item.

Information is power and we all try to help each other so that someone does not made a bad decision based on a lack of information that is available to them. This hobby is a most enjoyable one and it can be an expensive one. It would be sad to see someone spend their hard earned money on an item that they are unsure of and later "may" reget making the transaction, be it your item or any other expensive piece of memorabilia in this great hobby of ours.

If you would like to assist the potential bidders on your item by providing the additional information and photos that they have requested it most likely would benifit you with your sale and them with their purchase in the end. Your choice to not supply additional photo documentation of such a rare and potentialy high priced item only leads to more speculation why that is. I understand that this is your right and your choice as a seller. However it is my right and everyone else's right as participants in this game worn forum to assist each other with information that may help them.

Lastly, let me answer the question that you posed in your posting by clearly and confidently stating that I have no intention what so ever of bidding on this item. However I will you the best of luck with your auction.

Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

The bid is over $4700!

Look at the logo on the side of the helmets. On the helmet on display the white and the blue wing go right into the corner to a point. Look closely at the real helmets in the pictures. The white part of the wing does not go into the point of the blue part. I stops back a bit. ????????
    Also the rivets around the single bar mask on the pictures are spread out differently than the helmet on display.

Unfortunately, eBay is full of uninformed bidders. The poor guy doesn't know what he is sinking his hard earned money in to. The Problem with eBay is they don't care if someone gets ripped off as long as they get their money.

Ebay whacked this listing.
    Gone.

I saw the bid was up to $4700 when eBay ended your item. I'm sure you could have sold it for more that twice that if it were legit and you weren't such a hard person to deal with. I've been collecting and selling sports memorabilia for years and have learned alot from peoples inquiries. There have been several times when I listed items for someone that turned out to be bogus. I learned this from people asking the same kinds of questions they asked you. when someone want more pictures I sent them and not once was a fake reproduced from my photo's. When I found out an item was questionable I either changed the auction or removed it and returned the item. This only helped my rep, not hurt it.

I know you have had alot of genuine helmets, but quite frankly, I'd rather pass on a personal grail item then deal with someone who acts in this way.

I hope this was a learning experience for you in a good way.

Kevin

We deleted a number of posts on this thread earlier today. If you are going to continue to post on this thread please make sure it is consistent with the forum rules. In particular:

No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

Any violations will result in suspensions. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions