Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Make me feel better?

I'm not a guy who has ever used the hobby as a way to make a quick buck. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). I don't even really know how to, and the opportunity is never really presented to make a big killing, anyway.

And then tonight happens, and I wonder why I'm such a moron.

The Super Bowl ends. Santonio Holmes is named MVP. Since I love this hobby, I knew about J.O. Sports, Inc. and have been on the site numerous times just to look at its cool stuff.

I know they have Holmes jerseys. So, I go to see if they still have some after his MVP performance. I figure, at $1,500, I can probably flip this in one week and make a few thousand.

They still have Holmes jerseys. This is my lucky day! They still are listed at $1,500.

I stare at my computer screen. I'm thinking this is the moment people talk about. I add a Holmes jersey to my cart to see if it will actually process at $1,500. It does.

Then I stare some more. I don't have a great deal of money. What if I'm wrong and Holmes' jerseys don't go that far up in the next week? What if I'm stuck with it at a price that might be a bit much for me?

Even though I know these suckers are going to be a hot buy, I leave the website. I call a friend and tell him I think I probably just screwed up. I go back to J.O. Sports, Inc. just to see if there was any activity.

The jerseys have been raised to $3,000. A few minutes later, they go to $5,000.

Man, I suck.

Re: Make me feel better?

Ouch!!, that's painful, can't say I've ever been able to make that much money, that'll sting for a while, but it's not the end of the world. Sorry, probably didn't make you feel any better
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by gameused fan View Post
    I'm not a guy who has ever used the hobby as a way to make a quick buck. (Not that there is anything wrong with that). I don't even really know how to, and the opportunity is never really presented to make a big killing, anyway.

And then tonight happens, and I wonder why I'm such a moron.

The Super Bowl ends. Santonio Holmes is named MVP. Since I love this hobby, I knew about J.O. Sports, Inc. and have been on the site numerous times just to look at its cool stuff.

I know they have Holmes jerseys. So, I go to see if they still have some after his MVP performance. I figure, at $1,500, I can probably flip this in one week and make a few thousand.

They still have Holmes jerseys. This is my lucky day! They still are listed at $1,500.

I stare at my computer screen. I'm thinking this is the moment people talk about. I add a Holmes jersey to my cart to see if it will actually process at $1,500. It does.

Then I stare some more. I don't have a great deal of money. What if I'm wrong and Holmes' jerseys don't go that far up in the next week? What if I'm stuck with it at a price that might be a bit much for me?

Even though I know these suckers are going to be a hot buy, I leave the website. I call a friend and tell him I think I probably just screwed up. I go back to J.O. Sports, Inc. just to see if there was any activity.

The jerseys have been raised to $3,000. A few minutes later, they go to $5,000.

Man, I suck.
    True you probably cost yourself a buck or two in the short term. But the really idiots are the ones paying 3-6,000 for the jersey. A year from now nobody will remember Holmes or what he did in the Super Bowl and won't be able to get 1,000 for the jersey. J.O. is the real winner. We live in a right now world and a month from now his jerseys will be back to the normal inflated price of 1,500.00. Ofcourse Im a little bias, as a Rams fan was pulling for Kurt to get another ring

HAHA.

You were suppose to make me feel better! Maybe something like, "Ah, you'd never have actually been able to sell one for $5,000 yourself."

Or something like that.

Dang. This really sucks. OK. I'm done venting now. But, seriously, this really sucks!

Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's only clothing. I mean, there are plenty of other things to be depressed about than what you could have bought. I know what regret is like, but seriously, man, it's a jersey. It's not like you are dealing with the death of a friend, failure, or clinical depression. There will be a "next time" to make money. Just pass it off as a lesson learned, and you'll be fine next time.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Cigarman,

Yes. Totally, totally agree. No way those jersey's should be that much. But I just was positive in the next week I'd have been able to flip it.

My one concern is what you said. I was worried people might not care that much about Santonio Holmes. I mean, how much is a Deion Branch jersey worth a few years after his MVP performance? Not much more than it was before that.

frikativ54,

Now I'm starting to feel a bit better. By all means, it is only a piece of cloth. Wasn't even a piece of cloth I wanted. And, I was only going to get a bunch of paper for the cloth, so it's not that big of a deal.

I wish I could take your advice and just remember this for the next time and learn my lesson, but chances are I'll do the same thing next time, too. Grrrr.

You stole my answer!

They could raise the price to one-million dollars apiece... That doesn't mean they'll ever get that themselves, or $5 grand, or even $3 grand.

And you still have $1,500 to get something you'll absolutely cherish.

Find things you enjoy. They'll never decrease in that value.

Quote Originally Posted by gameused fan View Post
    HAHA.

You were suppose to make me feel better! Maybe something like, "Ah, you'd never have actually been able to sell one for $5,000 yourself."

Or something like that.

Dang. This really sucks. OK. I'm done venting now. But, seriously, this really sucks!

As a long time lurker and a very new poster, the community has come through for me tonight.

Sluggo's latest response made me feel like I'll get some sleep tonight, rather than toss and turn.

And, yes, I do know I'm being a tad dramatic. But as someone who makes around $30,000 per year, making a few thousand in one week and doing it legally doesn't come by very often!

So, I'm going to go with Sluggo on this one. I'm going to convince myself that I'd have only made, at best, a few hundred dollars on this whole venture.

Quote Originally Posted by frikativ54 View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but it's only clothing. I mean, there are plenty of other things to be depressed about than what you could have bought. I know what regret is like, but seriously, man, it's a jersey. It's not like you are dealing with the death of a friend, failure, or clinical depression. There will be a "next time" to make money. Just pass it off as a lesson learned, and you'll be fine next time.
    Well.... technically he did fail in making money and or being able to pull the trigger and buy it, but I definitely do agree that there's no way his jersey will be worth that much in a few months. Man, I don't think I'm so good in this whole "making you feel better" thing. Well, looks like psychiatrist is out as a career. Ricardo
    Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com