Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Photo match help

I know there are a lot of photo match wizards out there. I believe this glove and this picture are a match. Can somebody help me blow uo the picture and clean it up a bit so I can tell???
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Re: Photo match help... frustration w/ forum

Why is it when it comes to something like this, very few people are willing to help yet when it comes to beating up on a fellow forum member so many people want to jump on the band wagon? I can think of several instances where forum memebers will take the time to "tell people how to conduct themselves or their business but when it comes to actually helping a forum member, it's view and move on?? Is it because there are very few people that know how to enlarge a picture or because it is more enjoyable to join in on a beat down?

Re: Photo match help

FWIW, I started working on this yesterday since I enjoy finding a good photomatch. Sadly, the computer that I was on had limited abilities and I had to stop.

I really dont think its got anything to do with members finding more joy in a beat down. I think a comment like that is really not needed.

Jim

Jim, I appreciate the feedback. Is it necessary, no, is it accurate, we could go round and round on that one. Off line I would share several examples where forum members take the liberty of jumping in to pass judgement on one anothers credibility, intergrity etc.. My point is it always seems like there is a finger on thr trigger when it comes to one of those situations yet other calls for help go unanswered. Just my opinion.. I appreciate your help with the picture.

I started playing with the photos the day you initially posted using photoshop but didn't come up with any results worth posting. The quality of the photo from Getty isn't sharp enough. This is what I got. Sorry they aren't any better.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

How long ago did you post this?

Anyway, I sadly had the same result as Rob L. The original photos have already been compressed by Getty and are also a bit dark. Enlarging both of those photos as pictured cannot give the detail needed to photo match anything shown (except Griffey's face, perhaps)...

Getting the full-sized photos from Getty would be a huge help if possible. As far as forum members go, my guess is that the ones with the "know-how" took one look at the photos and knew they couldn't be enlarged and lightened nicely enough for a detailed photo match.

Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by commando View Post
    How long ago did you post this?

Anyway, I sadly had the same result as Rob L. The original photos have already been compressed by Getty and are also a bit dark. Enlarging both of those photos as pictured cannot give the detail needed to photo match anything shown (except Griffey's face, perhaps)...

Getting the full-sized photos from Getty would be a huge help if possible. As far as forum members go, my guess is that the ones with the "know-how" took one look at the photos and knew they couldn't be enlarged and lightened nicely enough for a detailed photo match.

Anthony
    Anthony's right in my case. I figured I just wasn't good enough with the this and didn't post. I figured someone else might be able to do better.
    Rob L
    loefflerrd@cox.net

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com

For those of you that did respond and or sent e-mails thank you. I know there are a lot of good people on the forum. Perhaps I let my frustration get the best of me but it is frustrating to see certain posts go untouched but when there is a neighborhood beat down people can't wait to jump in. Again, I appreciate the assistance.

Yep.

i took one look at that photo and knew nothing could be done. maybe next time i'll post something to that effect. i don't have access to military or law enforcement grade image software so i don't know what those guys can do. maybe it's up there with people's perceptions of what they see in the movies where someone takes a photo from 3 miles away and they zoom in on a sweat bead trickling down the guys forehead. i use photoshop which is the most powerful retail grade image-editing software available.

a .jpg or a .gif is a compressed format which means that the image has been compressed for purpose of keeping the file size small. the trade-off for the small file size is image quality loss. the image can't truly be re-sized without substantial loss in quality. if you're looking for an image to be blown up, it's best to do it with an uncompressed format such as a .psd or .bmp. the file sizes are larger but in return you're able to re-size images without such a noticeable degradation in quality as with .jpgs. in short, very little if anything can really be done with getty sample pics. you'd need a nice big photo in an uncompressed format.

i think most people lend a hand when others ask for help. my gripe is when people aren't asking for help per se but for someone else to do all of the work. it's not so much "does this qualify as a photomatch?" as it is "photomatch this for me". my other favorite is "is this jersey good?". (keep in mind i'm not saying this is what was done in this thread.) the people who pose these questions haven't even done a lick of work themselves. "can someone photomatch this?". does that person not have access to the same getty and mlb photos that i do? or do they simply want me to spend the 3 hours doing it while they sip on a mai tai and enjoy the free fruits of my labor? i've benefitted greatly from this forum but i've always tried to do as much work as i could myself before running into a wall and asking others. you can tell when someone's done at least some work themselves because the questions are specific; "was this patch used after 1987?", for example, or "were nob angles different between the 1992 home and alt jerseys?".

i remember one guy who kept asking "is this jersey good?" in the past and when people finally told him to do some research himself, he retorted by saying he didn't have that sort of time or patience. he basically wanted to use GUF as a free authentication and photomatching service. everytime i see a post asking others to do all the work i ignore it. that's why it may appear that some posts asking for "help" go ignored.

rudy.