Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MEARS Practices

Banned

Re: MEARS Practices

On the eBay listing you listed it as game worn when the letter says issued. Why did you list it as such? just curious

If you're going to quote something make sure you have the full quote.
    I listed it as game worn and wrote in the listing that it has a loa from DC Sports saying issued but I felt it showed use and showed pictures of the use. I didn't leave out the DC Sports info and I took up close pictures of where I felt it showed wear or washing.

Quote Originally Posted by Takuleechch View Post
    On the eBay listing you listed it as game worn when the letter says issued. Why did you list it as such? just curious
    This is what was in the listing on eBay - as you can see I wrote that it had a loa from DC Sports that said it was issued. I felt strongly enough that it was worn that I contacted MEARS about it and ended the auction to send it in.

This is a Kobe Bryant 2011-2012 Lakers road game used jersey. It comes with a COA from D.C. Sports where they call it an issued jersey but the jersey shows signs of washing and also has marks on the jersey from being snagged (seen in pics 5 & 6) - I believe this is like how MLB will call a jersey "Issued" unless they see if taken off by the player even when there are genuine signs of wear and washes. One of the key things is the mic pocket that is stitched into the left inside of the jersey for when he was Mic'd up during the game. The pockets arent stitched up at the begining of the season in hope of being mic'd - they are done for that game. Ive tried to find out what road games he was mic'd for during the season but havent found really any info online

Tella, One thing you need to remember is that Mears Auction items do not get the full Mears expert authentication. Even as such, most modern basketball jerseys would only get a score of 5 on their grading scale. I'm pretty sure that most items they, or any other auction house lists, are predominately driven by what the consignor tells them the item is.

I appreciate your openness in the descriptions and hoping that it may have been mislabeled on the LAO. Mears as a business likely would have loved to sell the item based on your hops, but they need to cover their own butts once the item is questioned. You can't blame them for that (although not notifying you is a slip up).

Glad you got the item pulled and will have it back to sell on your own. Look up earlier stories of items in which Mears did alot of research on and then requested payment for their efforts after the items were found to be fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jppopma View Post
    Tella, One thing you need to remember is that Mears Auction items do not get the full Mears expert authentication. Even as such, most modern basketball jerseys would only get a score of 5 on their grading scale. I'm pretty sure that most items they, or any other auction house lists, are predominately driven by what the consignor tells them the item is.

I appreciate your openness in the descriptions and hoping that it may have been mislabeled on the LAO. Mears as a business likely would have loved to sell the item based on your hops, but they need to cover their own butts once the item is questioned. You can't blame them for that (although not notifying you is a slip up).

Glad you got the item pulled and will have it back to sell on your own. Look up earlier stories of items in which Mears did alot of research on and then requested payment for their efforts after the items were found to be fakes.
    The biggest thing is I want it to be know that this jersey is in the exact same condition now as it was prior to purchase. I have no problem showing pictures or anything else to let that be known. I have no ill will towards MEARS - I'm just baffled by the opinion of someone that knows nothing about the jersey is treated as if their opinion is fact. It is what it is - I bought it as issued and when I received it I felt it showed wear so I sent it in. Being told it isn't worn doesn't bother me and that's what I told Troy.

I apologize if this post is off-topic. I seem to remember a company that customized authentic NBA jerseys. Same jerseys that the players wore. Same specifications as NBA gamers. Mfg, size and all. I'm not a smart man, but that can't be classified as "team issue", correct?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mulligans View Post
    I rarely weigh in on these topics…..In my opinion, this is certainly not a perfect Science with the new Basketball Jerseys…… and you can argue whether MEARS communicated properly, but I do think Troy apologized for any missteps they may have made?

I don’t have any connections at MEARS and I’m pretty sure they have no clue who I am.…They are not perfect by any means, but in my opinion, Troy and his group are by far one of the finest Authenticators in the Country.

I have used their services many times for Auctions as well as Authentications. I have not always been happy with their conclusions, because sometimes the truth can hurt……. But, one thing for sure, they are extremely thorough and VERY GOOD at what they do. I can’t imagine them doing anything purposely to mislead anyone?
    Very well put. I believe they try to be honest and upfront and we can't say that about every other auction house.

Quote Originally Posted by DeacDoug View Post
    I think that there is an inherent conflict between running an auction house and being the authenticator for same. At least Lou Lampson did not do both. Although I understand that other auction houses do this as well, I think Mears should chose one or the other.
    That is a valid opinion, but Troy has created a company and a concept and he fully discloses his "conflicts of interest" before anyone bids, so it is your choice if you bid on his memorabilia or not. Troy and Dave Grob are not going to change their concept and keep to one or the other - They will continue to run an auction house and an authentication company and you know the facts so you can make your own decisions if you wish to buy from them or not based on this fact.

This being said, how many items for sale on eBay are sold by the same guy who is telling you the game used jersey is authentic? At least with MEARS you can go back to the company down the road with concerns and they will still be there to discuss. How many eBay sellers are there to answer questions down the road?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    Very well put. I believe they try to be honest and upfront and we can't say that about every other auction house.

That is a valid opinion, but Troy has created a company and a concept and he fully discloses his "conflicts of interest" before anyone bids, so it is your choice if you bid on his memorabilia or not. Troy and Dave Grob are not going to change their concept and keep to one or the other - They will continue to run an auction house and an authentication company and you know the facts so you can make your own decisions if you wish to buy from them or not based on this fact.

This being said, how many items for sale on eBay are sold by the same guy who is telling you the game used jersey is authentic? At least with MEARS you can go back to the company down the road with concerns and they will still be there to discuss. How many eBay sellers are there to answer questions down the road?
    Joel,
    Just who is on the Staff at MEARS? I went to their website and all it says is "coming soon"

http://www.mearsonline.com/index.php?page=staff

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cohibasmoker View Post
    Joel,
    Just who is on the Staff at MEARS? I went to their website and all it says is "coming soon"

http://www.mearsonline.com/index.php?page=staff
    I don't know the current staff beyond Troy and Dave Grob. Tony Giese left to work for Heritage so I don't know any of his staff anymore. You can email Troy to ask if you want to know who is working for him. troy@mearsonline.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by trsent View Post
    I don't know the current staff beyond Troy and Dave Grob. Tony Giese left to work for Heritage so I don't know any of his staff anymore. You can email Troy to ask if you want to know who is working for him. troy@mearsonline.com
    Joel,

I was just wondering is all.

JSA, PSA and most if not all auction houses publicly list their Staff - I was wondering why MEARS didn't.

Jim