Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Difference between Pro BP jerseys and BP jerseys bought in stores & online stores???

Hello,

Is there a way to tell the difference? I know some stores only sell in size S, L, XL, and XXL, while the pro BP jerseys have numbered sizes (ex: 44,48...). But I did find some stores that sold BP jerseys with number sizes as well. So what determines the difference? If there is one?

Brian B

Re: Difference between Pro BP jerseys and BP jerseys bought in stores & online stores???

The 0065 code on the washing tag

Re: Difference between Pro BP jerseys and BP jerseys bought in stores & online stores

Keep in mind, I collect Mets jerseys in particular. This is what I have been able to put together in order to differentiate the retail BP from the team issue...

1. The twill is different on the retail and the team issued jerseys. The team issued jerseys have a textured 'diamond' patern; the retail has a flat non-textured pattern. Keep in mind that both bear the 'authentic' tags.

2. The team issued jerseys have a size tag sewn into the side of the jersey, along the outside, towards the bottom. I don't believe the retails do.

3. The team issued jerseys are cut differently as well. They are less wide than the retails (often tapered), and have longer lengths. This makes perfect sense, as the purpose of the jersey is different -- the baseball player would want a more tapered fit and want that extra length to be able to keep the jersey tucked in for game play... the fan would like to wear it more baggy, generally over another shirt, and not have that length, so that they can wear it outside their pants.

4. As mentioned before, the wash tags have different codes and the sizes are different.

5. In response to the retail jerseys sometimes coming in numbered sizes -- this is partially true. Although I have mainly seen S/M/L/XL etc. for retails, I have come across some BPs that are numbered. My understanding is that the numbered size jerseys are only available for retail in the following 'full' sizes: 44/48/52/56/60. These numbers each equate to L/XL/XXL etc. There are no 'half sizes' available on retail jerseys such as 46, 50, 54, etc. I have only ever seen a 'half' numbered size on a team issue.

Re: Difference between Pro BP jerseys and BP jerseys bought in stores & online stores

So is 0065 for the retail and 0062? Or vice versa?

Also, regarding the diamond pattern, is the retail having the diamond pattern but is just not textured? Or is the retail typically smooth with no "vents" for breathability?

Quote Originally Posted by brianborsch View Post
    So is 0065 for the retail and 0062? Or vice versa?
    0062 is on regular jerseys, 0065 is on bp jerseys, 0063 is on the new cool base jerseys, 0082 is on pants.

I think retail jersey's have something like 6200 or something like that.

Also, regarding the diamond pattern, is the retail having the diamond pattern but is just not textured? Or is the retail typically smooth with no "vents" for breathability?
    The "diamond pattern" I referred to is the tackle twill texture, not the 'side vents.' Here is a photo to show you what I mean. This type of twill is NOT used on Mets retail authentic BP jerseys. The twill on those is flat.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Re: Difference between Pro BP jerseys and BP jerseys bought in stores & online stores???

Hello,

Is there a way to tell the difference? I know some stores only sell in size S, L, XL, and XXL, while the pro BP jerseys have numbered sizes (ex: 44,48...). But I did find some stores that sold BP jerseys with number sizes as well. So what determines the difference? If there is one?

Brian B
    I think the washtag is the key, and knowing what the particular team uses.

Most of the teams use the numbered sized (44, 46, etc) for their BPs, but then you have the Nationals that have used BP jerseys for 2005 in M, L, XL, XXL sizes. I checked the wash tags and they are 0065. In 2005 the Nats also had nameplates on the back of their BPs.

Another difference in some of the game BPs is that the size tag is sewn in the left lower outer seam of the BP.

Andrew

Banned

I have no idea why some teams employ a standard size tag (i.e. L, XL, XXL) while other teams use true sizes (i.e., 44, 46, etc.). I picked up a handful of 2005 Red Sox pre-games, and they had size tags (L, XL). Although some collectors questioned this, it is correct for the Sox. I'd love to know why Majestic has 2 types of size tagging-any ideas????

Howard Wolf
    hblakewolf@patmedia.net

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that it's cheaper to order three sizes of jersey (L, XL, XXL) in greater quantities than it is to order six sizes of jersey ( 42, 44, 46, 48, 50, 52) in smaller quantities...or that it's just easier for the home clubhouse guy to order three sizes instead of six.