Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

MLB Hologram Type

I assumed that the MLB Holograms had changed over time, much like the look of the database did earlier this year. Most of the holograms I see have a QR code on the left hand side. I was looking at an item authenticated at Great American Ballpark earlier this season, and the hologram on it doesn't feature a QR code. Is this an old sticker they still had laying around? Is there a specific time that these changed? Not that a normal everyday collector would have the means to do so, it seems that the stickers sans-qr code would be much easier to fake.

Re: MLB Hologram Type

holograms have changed from being larger and odd shaped, to little circles, to the rectangular/circle shape they have now, and even the design and layout of the current shaped holograms have changed. older designed holograms, if laying around, will still be used (i have seen the little circle ones used on more recent items after they changed to the rectangular shape), and i believe this is so they are all used and do not end up in the wrong hands.

i am pretty certain that anything truly authenticated by MLB will have a code that can be entered in their database for verification. i have never seen an MLB hologram purporting to authenticate anything that did not have a code that could be verified in the MLB database. if you had a photograph of the hologram you referenced in your post i could provide further information. can i ask what the item was? i believe MLB uses different holograms for items that are licensed by MLB but not used or autographed (i have seen different style MLB holograms on things such as unsigned photographs).

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnmalton View Post
    I was looking at an item authenticated at Great American Ballpark earlier this season, and the hologram on it doesn't feature a QR code. Is this an old sticker they still had laying around?
    They have indeed used some "older" hologram numbers this year that start with the letters FJ.
    - CINCINNATI REDS/JOEY VOTTO BATS
    Email: rdeversole@gmail.com Twitter: @dugoutrelics

Quote Originally Posted by rdeversole View Post
    They have indeed used some "older" hologram numbers this year that start with the letters FJ.
    I was hoping a Reds collector would chime in. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by memorabiliaunlimited View Post
    holograms have changed from being larger and odd shaped, to little circles, to the rectangular/circle shape they have now, and even the design and layout of the current shaped holograms have changed. older designed holograms, if laying around, will still be used (i have seen the little circle ones used on more recent items after they changed to the rectangular shape), and i believe this is so they are all used and do not end up in the wrong hands.

i am pretty certain that anything truly authenticated by MLB will have a code that can be entered in their database for verification. i have never seen an MLB hologram purporting to authenticate anything that did not have a code that could be verified in the MLB database. if you had a photograph of the hologram you referenced in your post i could provide further information. can i ask what the item was? i believe MLB uses different holograms for items that are licensed by MLB but not used or autographed (i have seen different style MLB holograms on things such as unsigned photographs).
    I know that MLB holograms all have codes that can be entered into the database. The holograms on hats and other various collectibles obviously don't apply. The older ones, ONLY have the codes printed on them. There is nothing else printed on them at all. I just wanted to make sure that it was a possibility that clubs were still using the old design this season. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjohnmalton View Post
    I know that MLB holograms all have codes that can be entered into the database. The holograms on hats and other various collectibles obviously don't apply. The older ones, ONLY have the codes printed on them. There is nothing else printed on them at all. I just wanted to make sure that it was a possibility that clubs were still using the old design this season. Thanks for the reply.
    i read "only" literally. the older rectangular holograms should still at least have the MLB logo on them.

Quote Originally Posted by memorabiliaunlimited View Post
    i read "only" literally. the older rectangular holograms should still at least have the MLB logo on them.
    Yeah, the MLB logo is featured in the hologram portion of the sticker. The codes are just printed over top of it. I would assume that the QR codes that are featured now are for easier system input, and perhaps an extra security measure. The codes seem to be printed in a finer font now too. Apparently the Reds came across a roll or two of the older stickers.

I was told they changed back to a small circle hologram late last (2016) season when I questioned why the holo's are back to the old format. I don't think they're old stock as they look slightly different then the earlier ones if I recall, the printing is different (the type on the old ones scratched off very easily).