Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Unhappy Moose Skowron RIP

Yankees legend Bill "Moose" Skowron has died at age 81

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...s-dead-at-81/1

RIP Moose

Banned

Cool Re: Moose Skowron RIP

Not mntioned in this account (but reported in others) is the origin of Moose's nickname. It WASN'T due to his 6-foot, 200 lb. build.

Apparently, as a youth, he got a very short haircut, and when hanging out with his buddies afterwards, one noticed the haircut and remarked that he looked like Benito Mussolini.

Moose will be missed.

Dave Miedema

Re: Moose Skowron RIP

Skowron was a big part of the Yankee teams of the late 1950's and early 1960's. I watched him mainly on TV in those years and was fortunate enough to get to see him play in person in a game on the 1961 team in Kansas City and two games in 62 at Yankee Stadium. From what I have read he was a good person in addition to being a fine ballplayer and will be missed.

I remember Skowron well from the days around 1960 when there was only one TV national game I could get each week, and it was usually a Yankee game. I think he batted 6th, after Maris (3rd) and Mantle (4th) and Berra (5th).

How many of that team are left? In addition to Berra, there's Bobby Richardson, their leadoff hitter and second baseman. He lives in Sumter, SC and is often seen at South Carolina Gamecocks games, where he coached in the 1970's. He's a great guy. I once overheard him lament that he'd given away some Mantle bats over the years, without realizing their future worth.

Banned

Cool Re: Moose Skowron RIP

[quote=coxfan;291176]I remember Skowron well from the days around 1960 when there was only one TV national game I could get each week, and it was usually a Yankee game. I think he batted 6th, after Maris (3rd) and Mantle (4th) and Berra (5th).

How many of that team are left? In addition to Berra, there's Bobby Richardson, their leadoff hitter and second baseman. He lives in Sumter, SC and is often seen at South Carolina Gamecocks games, where he coached in the 1970's. He's a great guy. I once overheard him lament that he'd given away some Mantle bats over the years, without realizing their future worth.[/quote

Whitey Ford is still with us as are Luis Arroyo, Jim Coates and Tony Kubek, but overall, not that many.

Dave Miedema

Banned

Frank Howard had mentioned Moose not doing so well about 2 weeks ago. Said he was down to 130 lbs but his wife was trying to fatten him up with some home cooking.

I remember setting up at a card show in TN in 1989 or 1990 and Moose was signing. After the show he went around helping break down tables. He and I talked for a few minutes. Wonderful guy.

Unless I missed a notice, which is possible,Yogi Berra, Bobby Richardson, Tony Kubek, Whitey Ford, Ralph Terry. Bud Daley, Luis Arroyo, Roland Sheldon, Hector Lopez, Jim Coates, Jack Reed, Bob Cerv and Bob Turley are still with us. May have missed someone. Its been 50 years and all those guys are in their 70's or 80's. If someone knows differently please post.