Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Cubs Jersey Strip Tag Question

Does anyone have any insight as to what year this strip tag is from? It's on what appears to be a 1991 Cubs Road Gamer. Of the two 1991 Cubs jerseys I own neither have this style of strip tag and this tag looks more like the mid-later 90's version. Also, the jersey has a Diamond Collection tag instead of the typical Rawlings Figgie International Tag. Lastly, it does not have the cursive "Rawlings" on the sleeve instead it has the Rawlings "R". Any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Banned

Lightbulb Re: Cubs Jersey Strip Tag Question

It looks to be a 1993 Cubs road gamer of P Chuck McElroy.

Rawlings last made Cubs unis in 1991, after which Russell took over for 1992-99. When the Cubs used Rawlings, the sleeve logo was the supplier name in script. Russell used their R design for all the unis they supplied to the Cubs. The R in an oval Rawlings emblem first surfaced in the minors in 1998, and didn't appear on an MLB uniform until Rawlings got part of a split uniform deal for 2000-02.

Although it's not consistent, many 1993 Cubs gamers do not carry a year ID in the collar strip tag. This anomaly seems exclusive to '93 on Russell gamers.

I hope this helps.

Dave Miedema

Re: Cubs Jersey Strip Tag Question

Dave thank you so much! I don't know why I said Rawlings for the "R" meant Russel. Your information made this a must own jersey for me, cheers.