Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

1973-74 Rams James Harris?

I was looking at the Bricol listing for
    JAMES HARRIS LOS ANGELES RAMS 1973-1974 GAME USED ROAD JERSEY
    Couple of things caught my eye. When did the rams use two toned numbers like this.
    Name:  harris gu jrsy 1.JPG
Views: 2683
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  harris gu jrsy 2.JPG
Views: 1624
Size:  57.4 KB

Name:  harris gu jrsy 3.JPG
Views: 1346
Size:  54.7 KB
    I will post photos of the white jerseys the rams wore in 73-74

Also, the Lampson description is odd.
    HARRIS and 12 on the back of this white mesh jersey. 12 on the front and each sleeve. Bottom tail has been cut. Royal blue and yellow tackle twill. Has a small repair mark on the right upper chest. Designed & Tailored Exclusively for the Los Angeles Rams NFC Medalist Sand-Knit tag from slightly later period has been reapplied to front left tail. Show solid game use. Lou Lampson LOA!
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Re: 1973-74 Rams James Harris?

73-74 rams
    Name:  e4d4_1_sbl.JPG
Views: 1428
Size:  27.9 KB

Name:  e9fa_1.JPG
Views: 1352
Size:  27.9 KB
    not saying it is fake, just can't find this style...
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...

Banned

Old L.A. Rams fan and I honestly do not recall those two tone numerals ever being worn. Sleeves and collar don't matchup with Eric's pics either, and the tag looks darned fresh and new to me.

I've never seen sewn-on tackle twill numbers on any Sand Knit Rams jersey. I've never seen 2-tone numbers in a post-70s Rams jersey.
    This Sand Knit tag is newer than 1973 or 1974. I didn't think it was used until 1976.

The 70s Rams have heat-pressed vinyl numerals.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Designed & Tailored Exclusively for the Los Angeles Rams NFC Medalist Sand-Knit tag from slightly later period has been reapplied to front left tail.
    I did not notice this line when I first read the description. Tag has also been re-applied incorrectly. Tag should be sewn on left and right sides ONLY; not top and bottom. Note to readers...if a tag has EVER been re-sewn...then the deal is blown...

I agree with the fact that I cannot recall the Rams using two tone numerals. The other thing about this jersey is that I have a few football and basketball related items with this type of tag, which was used from roughly 1976- the early 80s, and on each item the tag is glued on.

Quote Originally Posted by jdr3 View Post
    The other thing about this jersey is that I have a few football and basketball related items with this type of tag, which was used from roughly 1976- the early 80s, and on each item the tag is glued on.
    I have seen the tags (size/exclusive) glued on and some, sewn on.

Warren,

Good to know for future reference.

Thanks.

Gentlemen,

I have no comment on the particular James Harris jersey in question, but I would like to shed some light on Rams jerseys from that era.

The Rams first changed to the ram-horn insert style in 1973. The blue jerseys originally had two-toned "sewn-on" numbers that were gold trimmed in white. This can be seen in numerous photos of the era in magazines, Getty Images, TOPPS football cards, etc.

This style seems to be very short-lived as they can be seen wearing the solid gold numbers by 1974.

Logic would dictate that the Rams would have had a white jersey style that correlated with the blue jersey style. In other words, a white jersey with blue sewn-on numbers trimmed in gold. However, I have researched this issue in the past and have never been able to find a photograph that substantiates the Rams wearing a white jersey with blue numbers trimmed in white.

Perhaps they had a set and never wore them. This wouldn't be the first time this happened. In 1968, the Falcons had a black jersey with trim on the sleeve cuffs (no sleeve stripes and no Falcon logo) that can be seen in plenty of TOPPS photos but not in any game action photos. Then there are the infamous 1984 Cleveland Browns white jerseys with orange numbers that were never worn (documented in several articles including USA Today).

Perhaps the Rams had a set and wore them, but the gold trim simply does not show up in photographs. Or, maybe they never had a set and only salesmen samples exist. Who knows without concrete photo evidence. Perhaps there are Rams collectors out there or someone with knowledge of the Rams equipment staff who can provide facts, photos, or details.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Sorry for the bit of confusion. In the last sentence of the third paragraph from the bottom, I should have said "blue numbers trimmed in gold".

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net