Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Re: Washing a game used jersey

This thread stinks.

Lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Palehose for Life View Post
    I'm Not Sure Why Your So Smug You As You Haven't Proved Anything Outside Of The Fact That You Are Extremely Foolish.

For The Collectors Who Collect These Modern Day Football Jersey With Off The Field Wear You Decreased The Value Of That 911 Jersey 50%. Sorry But In My Book Thats Not Funny Its Hubris.

The ONLY Reason I Can See Anyone Washing A Modern Day Football Jersey With Off The Field Wear Regardless Of What You Or Some Of The Other Sheepeople On Here Might Say Is Because You Will Be Walking Around Wearing It Yourself.

Anyone Who Would Wash An "A" Tier Players Modern Day Football Jersey With Off The Field Wear Or Advise Someone To Do Likewise Has No Common Sense Period.
    Are u serious? Wasn't trying to prove anything other than the fact that people all have different opinions on this issue, which as I've said is fine. I was simply stating that I hope that he was reading this thread so he could see that there is a way to state your opinion as opposed to the emails he sent me. And if I'm foolish for not wanting a smelly jersey displayed in my house with my 4 ad 8 year old sons than I hope you're not a dad. And for the record, I do own 3 higher end jerseys that I won't wash to retain their value but I keep them in sealed plastic bags far away from my kids.

Please don't concern yourself with what I do with my hard earned money and my purchases.

Come on, guys, could we please avoid resorting to name calling? It's great to have a lively debate and differences of opinions, but this thread is deteriorating rapidly. When you post, act like the person you are responding to is sitting across the table from you, and your wife and kids, and maybe even you mom is there with you.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by G1X View Post
    Come on, guys, could we please avoid resorting to name calling? It's great to have a lively debate and differences of opinions, but this thread is deteriorating rapidly. When you post, act like the person you are responding to is sitting across the table from you, and your wife and kids, and maybe even you mom is there with you.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net
    I will echo Mark's comments here. I went back and edited a few of the posts and will happy to edit any others if anyone thinks it necessary.

In addition, please note that posting on the forums requires the observance of the forum rules including:

No Personal Attacks. Do not harass, belittle, threaten or “flame” another member. Do not call other members names, even in jest. You may dispute opinions and facts, but do so with facts and not by taking it to a personal level. This forum is intended to operate in a positive environment. Please help us achieve that goal.

The complete list of forum rules can be found here:

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...hread.php?t=99

Thanks in advance for your compliance.

Sincerely,
    Chris
    Christopher Cavalier
    Consignment Director - Heritage Auctions

Quote Originally Posted by jbean023 View Post
    JPOP it doesn't matter your belief on if the value decreases on washed jerseys from a home washer, it's proven that the value decreases. Even the collector that washed the 9/11 jersey this thread was started out admits he knew the value would decrease and sold accordingly.

On the other hand, if a buyer is someone who *doesn't* want smelly jerseys hanging around, the value doesn't decrease at all. As with many things, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by slab0meat View Post
    On the other hand, if a buyer is someone who *doesn't* want smelly jerseys hanging around, the value doesn't decrease at all. As with many things, it's worth what someone will pay for it.

Perhaps, but at least if you didn't wash the jersey the consumer has that option. Once it's washed it really only appeals to the person that would wash it anyways, you're cutting your target market in half. I agree with many others on this topic in that there are many other options (and just as effective) to removing the smell that washing it away.

It all depends on who is interested. In my experiences from the selling side of the fence is that some collectors will buy regardless of whether the jersey was washed as it just does not matter to them. On the other hand, many others wouldn't buy it for any amount of money once it has been cleaned. Being able to obtain unwashed jerseys is a recent development, so while it is appealing to a lot of collectors and perhaps even a requirement for some (I certainly understand the appeal), it is simply not that big of a factor one way or the other for some collectors.

It is all about personal tastes and preferences, and there are many various tastes in this hobby. On a similar note to the "washed" vs "unwashed" debate, one of the biggest surprises I learned when I became more involved as a dealer is that some collectors prefer unused team-issued jerseys or gamers with minimal use. I also discovered that some customers who usually insist on jerseys that show game wear will purchase a mint jersey if it is a particular player, team, style, etc. that they collect, as they would rather have a mint jersey than nothing at all if there are no other options available. There is abolutely nothing wrong with this - I was just surprised to see the interest level as I assumed (wrongly) that jerseys that did not show use would be nearly impossible to sell. When I have made team purchases over the years, I never had enough mint condition jerseys as they always sold well.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

I get it.... also remember "washed" does not necessarily mean "cleaned" per se.. as said before, in my case, it got rid of odor, while every stain remained. I examined it very thoroughly.. I'm sure it's not an isolated case.

I get it.... also remember "washed" does not necessarily mean "cleaned" per se.. as said before, in my case, it got rid of odor, while every stain remained. I examined it very thoroughly.. I'm sure it's not an isolated case.
    I should have said washed instead of "cleaned" to clarify.

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net