Login My Account

Subscribe

About Us

Contact Us

Contact Forum Moderator GameUsedForum.com Archive

Go Back   Game Used Forums > Vintage Memorabilia Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vintage Memorabilia Discussion Discussions of all types of vintage related memorabilia.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Default T201 Double Folder Baseball Set Complete

I finally finished a 1911 T201 Mecca Cigarettes Base Ball card set that I started in 2004. It's been quite a journey. For those you aren't familar with these cards, they came in boxes of Mecca Cigarettes. There were 50 cards with 100 players (40% had HOFers). The cards were incredibly unique. When opened, a full length lithograph of one player was on the front. The top portion of the card then folded over and another player was depicted, sharing the same legs of the player on the front. The back of the card had the stats for both players from 1910 which was an innovation for baseball cards. Anyways, I present the set:
Attached Images

Always On the Look Out for Troy Percival & Randy Johnson Gamers

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM

Talking Re: T201 Double Folder Baseball Set Complete

Fantastic cards, Rob. These were the originals of the format, as Topps copied the double folder idea for their set of 1955 Doubleheaders, almost as challenging to complete as the T201 in set form.

Dave Miedema
Old 10-15-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Re: T201 Double Folder Baseball Set Complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
Fantastic cards, Rob. These were the originals of the format, as Topps copied the double folder idea for their set of 1955 Doubleheaders, almost as challenging to complete as the T201 in set form.

Dave Miedema
Thanks Dave! I love this format and have considered collecting the 1955 set next. I love the deadball era cards and have a few T206 cards, but the other sets never interested me as much as these!

Rob L's Baseball Memorabilia website: GU Troy Percival, GU Randy Johnson, GU Angels, GU Baseball, 19th Century Baseball and Autographs. Also a huge Game Used Resource page and Game Used Collectors Page: www.loefflerrd.webs.com
Old 10-15-2011, 08:39 PM

The T201's always looked amazing in SGC slabs.

SGC is still #1 in my mind.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms, disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homocides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -from Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book", quoting from, "On Crimes and Punishment", by Cesare Beccaria, 1764.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagedeputy View Post
The T201's always looked amazing in SGC slabs.

SGC is still #1 in my mind.
My son and I were just saying that a few days ago when we were going thru the cards. The PSA and BVG slabs don't do justice to any card!!

Old 10-16-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob L View Post
I finally finished a 1911 T201 Mecca Cigarettes Base Ball card set that I started in 2004. It's been quite a journey. For those you aren't familar with these cards, they came in boxes of Mecca Cigarettes. There were 50 cards with 100 players (40% had HOFers). The cards were incredibly unique. When opened, a full length lithograph of one player was on the front. The top portion of the card then folded over and another player was depicted, sharing the same legs of the player on the front. The back of the card had the stats for both players from 1910 which was an innovation for baseball cards. Anyways, I present the set:
Great job. Must have been a lot of fun filling that set.

You'll have a much easier time with a Topps set than this one.

@TheJoelAlpert

Actively buying unique vintage sports memorabilia, genuine autographs of Muhammad Ali, George Foreman, Mickey Mantle and others plus old US currency...
Old 10-18-2011, 09:45 PM

impressive collection there! I've got a few of these that I inherited from my mother (along with 2 complete T206 sets minus Plank and Wagner from both and the Magie error from one)

I need to get back into these so I can finish what my mother started!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Banned

Amazing and very unique set. Congrats!
Old 11-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Well, with the T201 set complete, I have started on the next endeavor. In keeping with the format, it's time to start the 1955 Topps Double Header set. It's a set of 66 cards. Key cards are the Hank Aaron, Ted Williams and Jackie Robinson. Here's the four I have now along with an unopened pack (one card and a piece of gum). The card in the pack is the Marsh-Theis card which is pictured next to the pack. Here we go again!!
Attached Images