About Us

Contact Us

Autograph Forums
Contact Forum Moderator GameUsedForum.com Archive

Go Back   Autograph Forums > Basketball Autographs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM

Default The idiot factor when you're a superstar

We've all seen or heard (hopefully not caused) instances of clueless morons who seem to have no brains nor a sense of propriety when asking an athlete for an autograph. One of the most imbecilic fan episodes was recently on ESPN Radio. In an interview with one of Michael Jordan's teammates from the Three-Peat years (I caught the interview mid-stream and am not sure who the teammate was), the guy mentioned an airport incident when MJ went to the bathroom, entered and seated himself inside a stall, only to have a hand, pen, and scrap of paper thrust under the stall door by some drillrod seeking an autograph. MJ should have given him a swirlie. Guys like this fool are the reason autograph collectors have a bad image outside the hobby.

Can anybody top that one?

Dave M.
Chicago area
Old 07-28-2009, 04:18 PM

Default Re: The idiot factor when you're a superstar

I don't have a story to top this one, but stuff like this is complete crap. A lot of people have had bad run ins with super stars and say the guys are !a--holes, but I would be one too if stuff like this happened to me on a daily basis. There have been times where I know I probably could have had an autograph, but let it slide. Some people need to learn to give players like this a break once in a while.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:55 PM

If this doesn't top the MJ story, it's a very close second...

Nolan Ryan always was upfront about telling writes and reporters he didn't mind signing - but please have some manners and don't bother him when eating, with his family, etc.

Well, in one of his books (either Miracle Man or Throwing Heat) he tells the tale of a fan who walked right up to his table at a restaurant (while he is with Wendy and the kids - and they are eating already) and plunks his nasty dirty cast on his broken leg with his nasty dirty toes sticking out the end right next to Nolan's plate of food and requests that Nolan sign his cast.

Some people have no clue...

- Chris
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 AM

Chris, I recall reading about that one...maybe I'll start a similar thread in the baseball section.

Dave M.
Chicago area