Contact Us

Autograph Forums
Contact Forum Moderator GameUsedForum.com Archive

Go Back   Autograph Forums > Current Auction items
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 04:01 AM
Banned

Thumbs down American Memorabilia: Ethics

Noticed this on the AMI web site, and wondered if the recent FBI investigation of shill bidding at auction houses prompted the following disclosure of a practice AMI has always done?

The auction house reserves the right to place a bid on any lot on behalf of the seller. Auction house will not specifically identify bids placed on behalf of the seller.

The seller, and AMI can shill bid the price up and both make more money, while legitimate bidders get ripped off. This is morally, and ethically wrong.

This is also on top of the 20 percent fee to spend your money with them, if you choose.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

Default Re: American Memorabilia: Ethics

America Memorabilia has removed this notice from all their category pages.

The auction house reserves the right to place a bid on any lot on behalf of the seller. Auction house will not specifically identify bids placed on behalf of the seller.

It appears their first, and only shill bidding notice on all their category pages, where every bidder could see it, was not good for business in their last auction. The notice is now safely tucked away in their "Auction Rules" where few people look.

American Memorabilia reserves the right to bid on behalf of the seller as per Nevada Revised Statute.

Now if AMI sold on eBay, their account would be terminated for shill bidding.

If you leave a maximum bid with these people, well, live and learn.
Old 10-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

Do you still bid on AMI auctions?
Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 AM
Banned

Remember before bidding.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned

Just like to keep people aware of this company.
Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

Here is another thread on the ethics, or better to say, lack of ethics of American Memorabilia, Inc ( AMI )

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=21955
Old 01-25-2009, 05:15 PM

Thanks. Ill have to remember that.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:03 AM
Banned

You are very welcome.

American Memorabilia has stated publicly and in writing that they will be vastly improving customer service this year, and promptly paying their consignors.

Wonder why, after 15 years of shoddy customer service and consignor treatment which basically equates with a, "The check is in the mail." routine going on for 4 to 6+ months?

Could it be consignors and bidders are just plain fed up and tired of this unethical treatment and thus, bids and consignments are vastly slowing down?

Of course, it may be the exposure of shill bidding by American Memorabilia on their own auctions that have driven the bidders away, and thus the bidding down.

At least in the last auction catalog the "models" were not wearing the merchandise.

Perhaps there is hope yet for this company.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 AM

I can't condone too many of AMs policies now, but I do feel the need to stick up for them a little. I'd say "15 years of shoddy customer service and consignor treatment" is not true. Back when they first started coming on strong as an auction house, they had a man named Beans who was FANTASTIC to work with. He was honest and seemed to look out for both sides in a transaction. It's only after he retired, maybe 7-8 years ago, maybe not even that long, that their customer service went into the crapper. When he was there, I'd get honest appraisals for my items, I'd get my purchases within a week, and I'd never wait long for my consignment checks. He'd even call me back when I left messages!

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Old 02-16-2009, 04:40 AM
Banned

Ken,

I personally know AMI was playing "The check is in the mail." routine 10 years ago.

Maybe 15 years is a little long, so I'll correct it to 10 years for shoddy service.