PDA

View Full Version : Making money off my pictures?

MichaelofSF
05-21-2008, 10:04 PM
It looks like someone printed out one of my pictures that I took and posted on this site and is selling it on ebay with an autograph. I don't have a problem with anyone viewing my pictures that I post or using them to try an photomatch something, but selling them I do not approve of.

here is a link to the auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Zack-Greinke-Kansas-City-Royals-Signed-Photo-OT-HOT_W0QQitemZ250250398687QQihZ015QQcategoryZ27270Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

here is the original post that I posted it in:
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=15128

ahuff
05-21-2008, 11:13 PM
Perhaps you could put a watermark on them, prior to posting. That way, if they did really want the photo, you might have a bit more control over what it was used for.

mvandor
05-22-2008, 08:59 AM
That JPG should NOT be sufficiently hi-res to get a good 8x10 print from.

camarokids
05-22-2008, 09:24 AM
When I zoom in on the picture on ebay , it appears there is a difference in the way the necklace it dangling out of his shirt ....

I don't think it is the same picture ????

On ebay the necklace appears to loop down . On your picture on GUU the necklace loop goes up and around .....

Also the shadowing on the ebay pic appears to be darker on his face ....

Just my observation..... To be sure I would need a better pic of the ebay picture.....

tilley72
05-22-2008, 09:53 AM
That's definitely the same picture. If you look at the straps from the glove they are the same weay. The small space between the glove and the jersey where you can see the dirt is the same and so on...

The only difference between the picture on here and the one on eBay is that the one on eBay has been cropped.

I personally think it's rude to use someone elses image for profit unless you ask them if you can use their images before hand.

Just my two cents...
-Andrew

ndevlin
05-22-2008, 10:02 AM
Im looking at the way the dirt is placed on the mound, the shadows, the necklace, etc etc. It looks like the same pic to me.

Spiezio23
05-22-2008, 10:32 AM
It's quite possible they got the photo from here. I bought a photo from them once thinking the quality would at least be somewhat decent. Wrong, It's obvious they used online pictures and had them made up and the quality is by far subpar. They are very grainy and low res./pixelated, which makes sense they didn't use a scanner to post up their pics.

They got me once and it wasn't worth the time/effort for me to get my money back or complain, lesson learned.

commando
05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
There's absolutely no doubt that it is the same photo.

cjmedina1
05-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I was emailed an offer about a mcgwire bat. I ask for a pitcher of the back of the bat.They proceeded to email a pitcher of my bat that I posted here on the forum? They tried to pull a fast one on me and didn't not succeed.

Can anyone email me some info about water mark on the pitchers. Please post or email

Carlie Medina III
carliemedinaiii@sbcglobal.net

metsbats
05-22-2008, 04:25 PM
I was emailed an offer about a mcgwire bat. I ask for a pitcher of the back of the bat.They proceeded to email a pitcher of my bat that I posted here on the forum? They tried to pull a fast one on me and didn't not succeed.

Can anyone email me some info about water mark on the pitchers. Please post or email

Carlie Medina III

Carlie,

So they are trying to sell you your own bat which they don't have???

David

cjmedina1
05-22-2008, 05:58 PM
David

I was contacted by a possible seller of 2000 sign MAC bat. I asked to see pitchers which they did. So I asked if they can take a pitcher of the back of the bat.In mean while I had realized that very same bat was up for auction at HA.I asked if he was the winner of the auction,He told me that he bought it from the winner. So I did do some and found the bat and yes it was the same bat.So I thought it would be a legit buy. Of course I asked how much he paid for the bat and whats the asking price? His answer was I paid 1100 for it but I would like to try and get 700 for it.... That was a red flag for me then he proceeded to send me a pitcher of a bat that had great use.But then when I look close and compared the markings it was my bat.So know I'm really ticked..... I'm not sure if this has happen to any of the members but it wasn't going to happen to me.I let this person in a kind way that I will be talking to the authorities about this and I have heard from him since.

Sorry if I got off topic but I would like to know from anyone how to put some kind of symbol or mark on your pitchers?

Carlie Medina III

Rob L
05-22-2008, 06:16 PM
I just emailed the seller and asked if this was an MLB authentic photo and autograph. I'm curious to see the response.

Rob L
05-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow, quick response. Here it is.

"It is an authentic photo."

Jeez.

platinum1
05-22-2008, 07:03 PM
I'm also thinking the autograph is a fake. The picture was taken this year. How does someone from Jamestown,PA obtain autographs? Especially from an American League Team

camarokids
05-22-2008, 08:16 PM
Please post the watermark info , so all of us can learn how to do it ......

For I have posted quite a few pics of my collection on here ......

jgoldstein2000
05-22-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm also thinking the autograph is a fake. The picture was taken this year. How does someone from Jamestown,PA obtain autographs? Especially from an American League Team

People really piss me off. I don't understand how people can sell things they know to be stolen/fake.

MichaelofSF
05-22-2008, 09:27 PM
So the seller responded to me saying "I bought the photos unsigned at a card show in New Jersey. I then had Zack sign a few photos"

Sometimes when I post pictures I put my name at the bottom of the picture which could be cropped out I guess. A watermark would be nice and a good idea, but that kind of ruins the photo that you guys get to see. Just too bad that someone has to ruin it for everyone. I feel somewhat violated.

MichaelofSF
05-22-2008, 09:30 PM
And that is for sure that same photo. One thing they could possibly have done is look at the URL from this site to my flickr site and then downloaded the full image for a better print. Now I guess I have to change my flickr settings back to private.

ham1963
05-23-2008, 08:01 AM
MichaelofSF if you file a complaint with E-Bay stating that he used your photo without your permission they will pull the auction.

nyjetsfan14
05-23-2008, 09:16 AM
MichaelofSF if you file a complaint with E-Bay stating that he used your photo without your permission they will pull the auction.

A while back somebody used a photo of mine from my website to sell a "like" item they owned on e-Bay. I contacted e-Bay to have it removed and in order to possibly do so I had to join some type of e-Bay club (for a fee if I recall correctly). I eventually was able to just convince the seller to relist not using my picture (after he dropped a few F bombs on me) but I got the impression e-Bay wasn't overly enthusiastic about helping me out. I have since made my website private, only being able to be viewed by invite. I still haven't figured out how to do the watermark thing but am still trying because I really want to be able to share my collection with others. Best of luck, I hope it works out for you.

MichaelofSF
05-27-2008, 12:41 AM
As a follow up to my original post, the seller ended the auction and asked my permission to sell the remaining auto photos that he has. I have not decided how I feel about that yet, but wanted to be fair to the seller and let you all know that he had pulled the auction.