I saw a bat that I liked on ebay. Contacted the seller and told him that I was interested. I asked him what his best price was to sell it directly to me (yeah yeah I know, please dont quote silly ebay rules to me).

Anyway, this goofball tells me his price and I agree to it. He gave me a price based upon what someone at a show told him that it was worth. He sends me additional pictures and tells me the history of the bat. I felt good about the provenance so I again reiterate that I want it. I email him back asking him how he'd like me to send payment......all this time I "assumed" that he ended the auction, after all we had an agreement. The bat was up for days without a single bid!

Well, after not hearing back for a few hours, I checked the auction on a whim and saw that he let it run its course and it sold (to a forum member) for quite a bit more than our agreed upon price. I emailed him back and asked him what happened and now he says that he never agreed to sell it to me, but rather he would sell it at that agreed upon price if the bat didnt sell on ebay.

I guess you can't take a man on his word anymore.

Jim