Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ifirocked
    • Dec 2007

Re: Catfish Hunter Yankees jersey?

i asked b-e-collectibles about the history of the Gaylord Perry jersey. i was told "jersey came from a former equipment manager...not from a card company". B-E also said the Hunter did not come from him. Very odd they both poped up at the same time.

Comment

• kingjammy24
      • Nov 2005

here's a 1975 otto velez jersey. note the strip tag. (different from the strip tags that wilson was putting the yankees jerseys of the time).

rudy.

Comment

• JimCaravello
        • Jan 1970

The Velez jersey is interesting, as the Baseball Almanac website shows Velez wearing #52 with the Yanks in 1975. 1975 was the only year the Yanks wore Rawlings jerseys in the 70's - maybe this jersey is from spring training of 1975?? As Velez wore #24 in both 1974 and 1976...........and it couldn't be a carryover from 1974, as they wore Wilson jerseys that year.......

Comment

• kingjammy24
          • Nov 2005

hey jim,

without commenting on that particular velez jersey at all, i just wanted to add that i've seen some rare instances where uniform numbers were chosen during the time that orders were taken and after the initial orders arrived, some folks changed their minds. thus resulting in an otherwise legit jersey that was made and ordered but never worn and the number was never recorded has having been worn that year. i saw a jays viola jersey like that once. it bore a number that viola didn't wear that year but appeared perfectly legit in every other way. i can only assume that "things happen" sometimes with players choosing, assigning, trading uniform numbers that sometimes jerseys get made with "outdated" numbers.

i don't know what the case is with that velez. i just thought it was interesting to see a '75 yankees rawlings shirt with that unique style of collar tag.

rudy.

Comment

Working...