Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ebay Boycott Starts Today - Join In

Personally, I've bought/sold on ebay for 10yrs & have 100% feedback. If you don't give the buyer a reason to leave you negative feedback, then I don't see a problem, most either leave the appropriate feedback or none at all as previously mentioned. Also, didn't ebay just issue a statement lowering fees starting Feb. 20th? Lastly, in my opinion, the Game Used Forum is not a place that ebay should be debated. Let's stick to the hobby. Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by pietraynor View Post
    Personally, I've bought/sold on ebay for 10yrs & have 100% feedback. If you don't give the buyer a reason to leave you negative feedback, then I don't see a problem, most either leave the appropriate feedback or none at all as previously mentioned. Also, didn't ebay just issue a statement lowering fees starting Feb. 20th? Lastly, in my opinion, the Game Used Forum is not a place that ebay should be debated. Let's stick to the hobby. Jay.
    Jay,

Couldn't disagree more.

I too have been buying and selling on ebay for 10 years and have a perfect 100%. My wife hasn't been as lucky. Her seller's reputation is tarnished because of a couple of bad buyers. One went as far as destroying a valuable item she sold, then got all of her money back through a chargeback. We not only lost the money, the item, but got a nice shining negative too. For nothing. The only thing she was able to in return was put a warning to other sellers under the buyer's feeback. This is no longer. I predict that with this new feedback system, sellers will be victimized much more.
    Part of the reason sellers like us have 100% positive feedback is because the 'fear of the negative' has kept buyers in line throughout the years. With no recourse to their actions, this will change. I don't think by too much, but it will... and there is nothing that sellers are able to do now to limit the damage.

Also, I believe that Game Used Forum IS a place where ebay should be discussed because it is the marketplace/source of the vast percentage of items from our hobby that we buy and sell regularly. For better or worse, the tie between ebay and the game used hobby is not going to change anytime soon.

Nick

I won an item recently on eBay and paid right away with Paypal. As the weeks went by, I kept emailing the seller to get an update. After a month, they angrily responded. I shifted to kiss @ss mode and got my money back. But I checked his feedback for the prior weeks, every time he got a negative or a neutral because the buyer was in the same boat as I was, he would retaliate with a negative. Dozens of eBay buyers got undeserved negatives. I'm guessing this is the type of behavior they're trying to put an end to.

I sell occasionally on eBay and have had to leave a few negatives over the years. I suppose someone could try to cause problems, but I've never had that issue. The worst anyone has done to me is not pay. And it's not like I send the item out before payment.

Your ebay boycott will prove to be as inaffective as the yearly "gas boycotts". If you could get as many as a million users to stay away from ebay for a week it would still amount to only a flea bite on an elephant's a$$.

Banned

Hey sport,

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

At least there are people trying to do something against a issue they disagree with.

While others just sit back and whine about how ineffective something my be.

I believe that this "no negs for buyers" policy isn't going to last all that long. Sellers can simply adapt by refusing to leave feedback until feedback is received...and state that--along with the reason why--boldly in their eBay listings. (I know I'll be rewriting my boilerplate soon.)
    I've taken negatives I didn't deserve, but I've never been afraid to leave negative or neutral feedback when I felt it was called for.
    It is what it is. We're just going to have to adapt...until it changes again, and we have to adapt to whatever the new policy is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pietraynor View Post
    I am sorry I completely disagree with you on this. I have done nothing wrong in any of my transactions on ebay yet my rating is 99.3% instead of a 100%, WHY, because a package may have arrived a day or 2 after the buyer expected, due to the US Post office or UPS, something completely out of my control and the buyer was too impatient and left me a negative feedback, So I ended up suffering.
    I wont mention names but someone who I won a game used item from on ebay I sent then a payment immediatley after the seller started complaining that he didnt receive the payment after I explained to him several times I did, he turned around and left me a negative feedback, then a day later emails me saying he made a mistake and found my payment mixed up in his mail.
    Another I won something from ebay sent the seller the payment never received the item, sent email after email no response after 3 weeks. I left a negative feedback, in retaliation the seller left me a negative feedback. Yet he never once contacted me or ever sent me my item.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    Your ebay boycott will prove to be as inaffective as the yearly "gas boycotts". If you could get as many as a million users to stay away from ebay for a week it would still amount to only a flea bite on an elephant's a$$.
    I have to agree with 34swtns if your going to do a boycott towards ebay to truley hurt them you have to organize something way ahead of time and get people truly on board to all do it at the same time.

Posting the day before your doing a boycoott is not going to work.

Ebay is a million dollar a day industry do you honestly think they are going to cry if you get 20 maybe 50 or even a 100 people to boycott them for one week.
    Here is my best bet, I am willing to bet they don't even notice you.

So after your boycott do not expect an email from ebay apologizing for how much they have been overcharging sellers or to revert back to there old feedback system.

If I owned or ran eBay, the two changes I would make with regard to feedback would be to make it easier to retract, in the event of misunderstandings or feedback left in anger, and to set up a system whereby some nut (like the one who Neg'ed me some years ago) who only bids on an item every six months or so and always leaves Negative feedback - somebody whose hobby is obviously just messing up Sellers' 100% rating - would simply have their feedback erased, if it was obvious that's what they were doing.

That said, I have to agree with those who've expressed, in so many words, the opinion that an eBay "boycott" is somewhat like spitting into the wind, at this point...unless you could somehow get a few million people to go along with it for an extended period of time.

Banned

Suave and 34sw:

You are both misinformed and under the wrong impression. This is not "my" boycott, but one I simply decided to join after I found out about it. If you would read some different message boards beside the GUF board, perhaps you would have known about this weeks ago when the boycott actually started getting organized.

I included two links from other boards where this was discussed in an earlier posting. As you may see, this started in January, not the day before it officially began.

My initial posting on here was to inform others that may not have been aware of this, not to organize a boycott.

Perhaps this boycott will not change a thing. Then again, perhaps it will have eBay reconsider their ill conceived feedback policy change.

If people quit buying and selling on eBay for a week, they will feel it eventually. Even if it is just one week every month or two.

Their revenue has already been decreasing, that is why they instituted these policy changes. If it decreases more because of these boycotts, perhaps they will revise the one policy change that most people are in disagreement with. That being the unequal playing field in regard to negative feedback.

If you never try, you will never achieve. You can accept things as other people dictate to you, or you can say "enough" and try to change the circumstances.

Every journey starts with a single step.

This boycott is the first step.