This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mbrieve
    • Jul 2008

Re: Fred Lynn Red Sox Jersey - Thoughts?

Originally posted by 1986&2004Bosox
    King for new collectors uneducated board members etc, I am giving an example of how no theory is 100 % correct. In regards to a common players jersey you need to let people know that even then there is tagging that is not consistent, as some late season call ups and trades are tagged in the same way as players who have been with the team the whole season and others are not tagged the same way.

In regards with how to set a standard if you cant set a standard then you should not evaluate a jersey.

It should not matter weather or not you are using a star or a common to determine if a shirt is legitimate and tagged properly that's the error in your argument. A universal standard need's to be established to evaluate and then there are factors that go into evaluating each shirt on it's own merits.

The Red Sox factor was brought up to show that even in today's collecting marketplace not all shirts are tagged the same way.

You and Mr.Lewis seems to want to say that things are this way or that way when even Mr. Medina of MEARS has admitted that no conclusion can be drawn at this point in regards to the McAuliffe tags, and MR. Grob feels that futher information is need as there are examples of blue bordered shirts that Mr. Medina feels are retails.

It is laughable that Mr. Lewis will not provide the order records he states he has to MEARS to try and provide the collecting community with more research material. If Mr.Lewis has the records and is concerned with cleaning up the hobby why not provide what he has to allow the authenticators and auctions hopuses to have the information they need to represent a piece in the correct way?

Fact of the matter is borderless tag McAuliffe are a tag varation nothing more as evident by numerous examples within the hobby that range from coaches to superstars.
    You don't even read Rudy's posts before responding, do you?

Comment

• kingjammy24
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mbrieve
      You don't even read Rudy's posts before responding, do you?
      my favorite:

me: "how do you accurately figure out what those standards should be?"
      eric: "In regards with how to set a standard if you cant set a standard then you should not evaluate a jersey."

the word "how" threw him. Q: how do i peel an apple? A: if you can't peel an apple then you shouldn't peel an apple. #@! brilliant.

HOW eric. HOW do you set a standard? let's say you're a collector and you're trying to determine how 1990 A's NON-SPARE jerseys should be tagged. HOW do you do this? again, the imperative word in that sentence is "how". in determining what the tagging should be for 1990 A's NON-SPARE shirts do you:

a) examine full-roster common players?
      b) examine full-roster common players AND full-roster superstars?

all i want to see in your next post is 1 letter; either A or B. that's it. type A or type B. pretend your keyboard only has 2 letters. after you've typed your letter, look at it. is your letter an A or is it a B? if the letter you typed is B, then elaborate what benefits B has over A.

rudy.

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
        • Aug 2007

Was in the middle of typing mine when Rudy posted his. Also there is nothing in my post that he did not say himself. You need to be clear in your posts. Not make generalized blanket statements. You need to realize their are new collectors. It's funny I bring to light an issue that still no long time hobbyist can prove regarding the borderless jerseys and people want to get mad at me. Even Dave Medina's research only brought more questions and no answers and now the feeling that blue border jerseys could also be retails? Funny I thought blue bordered jerseys were 100% gamers well at least accoarding to Mr. Lewis. When are we all just going to admit that it is a tag vartaion and that there is no evidence of it being anything more than that?

Comment

• karamaxjoe
          • Nov 2005

I'm pretty sure Rudy is asking for someone to give us a decent sample of a common Red Sox jersey without the blue border tags in the 70's. If you include star players in your research, the experiment is not as accurate. We can make a better assumption that Red Sox fans in the mid 70's were not running over to the McAulife store for a Jim Willoughby, Bob Bailey or Doug Griffin jersey. It's extremley likely that if McAulife was selling jerseys to the public, the first shirts going out the door were Yaz, Fisk, Lynn and Rice. Once we have a decent selection of commons, the stars can be included.
          Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
          ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
            • Aug 2007

b. as only taking a portion of the sample or eliminating the stars serves no purpose.

The standard should be based upon all known examples. Then you look at each shirt individually an account for variations. You can't just say a common A's is tagged this way so all A's shirts should be. That is irresponsible and incomplete research. If there are 75 1990 A's examples to chose from you look at all 75 regardless of the player and then make your conclusion.

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
              • Aug 2007

karamaxjoe how many non blue bordered shirts exist? That would be the better test? If there are an equal number of non bordered vs bordered than what would that mean? I dont care if it is a star or a common we have seen examples of both stars and commons without the border. We have seen no evidence of being able to order direct from McAuliffe and until that is proven to be the case then the only conclusion that can be drawn is it is a tag variation.

Comment

• karamaxjoe
                • Nov 2005

karamaxjoe how many non blue bordered shirts exist? That would be the better test? If there are an equal number of non bordered vs bordered than what would that mean? I dont care if it is a star or a common we have seen examples of both stars and commons without the border.
                At this point it doesn't matter how many blue bordered shirts exist. I would like to see some common Red Sox borderless tagged shirts. Does anyone on the forum have any? Produce some common playered blue borderless tagged shirts and you'll sway this entire arguement your way.
                Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
                ~ Bill Veeck

sigpic

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
                  • Aug 2007

Since Dave M has gone back and forth back and forth I would like him to explain the LOA he wrote for the 1977 Yaz jersey that lacks a blue border that
                  Jim Carvalleo posted for sale on GUU in Jan 2008.

Dave last week you trusted Lon Lewis on lack of blue border, however it appears as though in Jan of 2008 or eariler depending upon when the LOA was written you did not. What changed your mind?

Comment

• beantown
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by karamaxjoe
                    At this point it doesn't matter how many blue bordered shirts exist. I would like to see some common Red Sox borderless tagged shirts. Does anyone on the forum have any? Produce some common playered blue borderless tagged shirts and you'll sway this entire arguement your way.
                    I am still looking for common player Red Sox blue borderless jerseys, but came across this one...was Tony Armas considered a "star" in 1980?

http://www.lelands.com/bid.aspx?auctionid=509&lot=224

Lelands past auctions has some common jerseys of Red Sox players, but no close ups of the tags...

Comment

• 1986&2004Bosox
                      • Aug 2007

beantown search Yastrzemski on this site look at the 77 Yaz borderless WITH DAVE MEDINA COA. Dave seemed sure last week that lack of blue border was a retail and sided with Lon Lewis, guess Dave M forgot that he wrote a letter on the Yaz.

Comment

• flaco1801
                        • Nov 2005

that armas shirt looks brand new

Comment

• Moustache Gang
                          • Mar 2007

Flaco,

I currently owned that Armas jersey as I was the high bidder on the Lelands auction. I would say on a scale of:
                          Brand new 1,
                          Light use 2,3,4,
                          Medium use 5,6,7 and
                          Heavy use 8,9,10

I would rate the jersey a solid 4.

The jersey has some small stains that are mostly in the tail and some on the back near the number. All tags show medium puckering and the back #11 has puckering as well.

Again, as I compare this jersey to my other 50+ McAuliffe A's knits it exhibits light to medium use.

Mark

Comment

• beantown
                            • Nov 2005

beantown search Yastrzemski on this site look at the 77 Yaz borderless WITH DAVE MEDINA COA. Dave seemed sure last week that lack of blue border was a retail and sided with Lon Lewis, guess Dave M forgot that he wrote a letter on the Yaz.

Interesting...

Comment

• Moustache Gang
                              • Mar 2007

Forum Members.

I cannot tell as Lelands did not take a photo of the tagging in the top of the shirt, but they have a 1978 Mike Torrez, McAuliffe grey knit on their website. It is very hard to tell, but if you blow it up it appears to look like a non-blue border tag. Would most of us call Torrez a common player or maybe I do not know my Red Sox players??

Sorry all I collect are A's McAuliffe jerseys, but I would not put Torrez in the same category with Lynn, Rice, Yaz and Fisk.

Mark

Comment

• kingjammy24
                                • Nov 2005

b. as only taking a portion of the sample or eliminating the stars serves no purpose.
                                greatly reducing the chance of fakes seems to be pretty important purpose if the point is to arrive at an accurate conclusion.

if we tossed in all the HOFers, like you suggest, then how would you deal with the substantial risk of fakes contaminating the results? let me guess, you'd just weed the fakes out right? good luck. of course not a single one would slip by you. i can't think of a single individual with a perfect track record but then i guess we've never seen you in action. myself, i think a few might get past me which is why i wouldn't want to chance it. even if 1 or 2 got past me, the results would be skewed and the experiment trashed. i agree that your system would work if some perfect genius manages to catch every single one of the fakes. nice odds. mears tossed some HOFers into the mix in their analysis. this being the same firm that A10'd several horrific bonds shirts so i'm definitely sure that they'd be able to catch each and every fake yaz, fisk, and reggie that came their way right?

and then when your results come out how do you address all the folks like me saying that it's possible that some fake HOFers slipped by you and skewed the results? "oh no, i caught them all. trust me".

or you could just entirely avoid that risk and use only commons. if you evaluated some gallegos, honeycutts, blankenships, bordicks, howitts, and lansfords, i'd say you'd have a very good idea of how the 1990 A's tagged their non-spare shirts. if you tossed in a mcgwire your accuracy wouldn't increase. all you'd do is run the risk of screwing the whole thing up because a fake got past you. plus, those results wouldn't be questioned by others as they would if HOFers had been used.

ultimately, i realize that having this discussion with a guy currently trying to sell a borderless fred lynn is like trying to explain how tasty a pulled pork sandwich is to a pig. "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his job depends on not understanding it". a man with skin in the game usually isn't the most objective in the room. on that note, if mears, hypothetically speaking, comes to the eventual conclusion that borderless tags were for retail shirts, what are they going to do about all of the borderless jerseys they've already authenticated? announce a big buyback program? and on that note, how is mears only now investigating this issue after they've already authenticated many mcauliffe shirts? they don't know if mcauliffe made retail shirts and, if they did, how to tell them apart but they went ahead and declared themselves fit to authenticate mcauliffe shirts? isn't that the sort of basic info you learn before you start printing out the LOAs? how's it work at mears..authenticate the shirt first and then learn the difference between pro and retail?

i don't know which way the pendulum is going to swing here. i just hope that whatever conclusion is reached is the right one. i just wanted to put forth the idea that excluding star HOFers would be a wise thing to do in terms of reaching an accurate conclusion. if people can round up a whole slew of common gamers with borderless tags then i think it'd carry a ton of weight. personally, as a collector, i wouldn't put much stock into tag, font, or stitching analysis that focused heavily on HOF jerseys.

rudy.

Comment

Working...