X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trsent
    Banned
    • Nov 2005

Re: Has Grey Flannel Lost It?

Ok, so it appears Grey Flannel is picking on those who they feel are picking on them.

Pretty interesting concept. Weather they are right or wrong, weather someone brings up The People's Court (every time?), weather someone asks what John Doe did at Yankee Stadium, maybe they are finally telling us that they do not wish to accept bids from people who question their item in a public forum.

I wonder if the item were not posted on this forum if they would have replied to questions via email and they figure if someone posts the question on here they are going to ignore genuine questions? I am not stating this is what is happening or this is right or wrong, but it appears this is the new Grey Flannel concept from all the posts on here.

I would take a different stance, but it is interesting to see that this may be the new position of Grey Flannel.

Comment

• otismalibu
      • Nov 2005

I wonder if the item were not posted on this forum if they would have replied to questions via email and they figure if someone posts the question on here they are going to ignore genuine questions?
      Just to be clear...the times I've posted here regarding GFC items that were either in their auction or in their sales section, I first emailed GFC with the question/comment. They've never replied to those emails.
      Greg
      DrJStuff.com

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
        • Nov 2005

Grey Flannel has some really nice basketball jerseys in their current auctions. Some sweet ABA stuff...a 60s Evansville Aces...DC Truckers...some relics, so rare, that the average collector has minimal interest. Did anybody see that Don Buse All-Star award watch? Some one-of-a-kind beautiful items. As for the modern NBA shirts that every major auction house sells. Pass... I don't use it. Funny thing is those modern shirts sell. The rich are getting younger everyday. They're f**kin' up the rotation. They're screwing with supply and demand. They're making the pricing structure askew. They don't know DC Truckers from Old Dan Tucker's. Why would anyone who is sober and lucid buy a recent NBA gamer from anyone besides Meigrey or NBA auctions. A lot of these buyers are not collectors at all. They're sports fans who want to hang a jersey in their basement/pool room/bar.
        A possible BronBron or Kobe gamer will always outsell an Evansville Aces.

Comment

• trsent
          Banned
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
          Just to be clear...the times I've posted here regarding GFC items that were either in their auction or in their sales section, I first emailed GFC with the question/comment. They've never replied to those emails.
          I guess my question is if they just are ignoring those emails because they come from Game Used Universe members or if they just don't like to read about customer concerns that may cause an item to be pulled from an auction?

Originally posted by both-teams-played-hard
          Grey Flannel has some really nice basketball jerseys in their current auctions. Some sweet ABA stuff...a 60s Evansville Aces...DC Truckers...some relics, so rare, that the average collector has minimal interest. Did anybody see that Don Buse All-Star award watch? Some one-of-a-kind beautiful items. As for the modern NBA shirts that every major auction house sells. Pass... I don't use it. Funny thing is those modern shirts sell. The rich are getting younger everyday. They're f**kin' up the rotation. They're screwing with supply and demand. They're making the pricing structure askew. They don't know DC Truckers from Old Dan Tucker's. Why would anyone who is sober and lucid buy a recent NBA gamer from anyone besides Meigrey or NBA auctions. A lot of these buyers are not collectors at all. They're sports fans who want to hang a jersey in their basement/pool room/bar.
          A possible BronBron or Kobe gamer will always outsell an Evansville Aces.

Nice to hear one of our resident experts tell us he approves of a lot of the vintage NBA-ABA stuff. I personally find that stuff cool, but I am always a mark for WHA hockey jerseys before the old basketball stuff for some reason.

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by trsent
            Nice to hear one of our resident experts tell us he approves of a lot of the vintage NBA-ABA stuff. I personally find that stuff cool, but I am always a mark for WHA hockey jerseys before the old basketball stuff for some reason.
            I don't know spit about hockey. However, I dig the 60s and 70s durenes...the crests and the logos...true works of graphic art. Over the last few years, I have sold my durene hockey collection (NorthStars, St. Louis Blues, Cleveland Barons, etc.). ABA is the WHA of hockey. Just like the ABA is the WFL of Football. Defunct teams make the collecting world go 'round.
            BTW....I AM NOT AN EXPERT AT ANYTHING. Grey Flannel seems to get some great vintage stuff. The new stuff is too hard to authenticate and clouds the air of the good stuff. The truly rare, valuable and hard-to-find stuff doesn't get the prices.
            Don't make no sense!

Comment

• reed1216
              • Feb 2007

BTPH- How's it going? I wanted to get your opinions on the two Walter Davis jerseys in Grey Flannel's auction...
              The Hobby's premier auction site for game-worn jerseys, graded cards, championship rings, and Hall of Fame autographs.

The Hobby's premier auction site for game-worn jerseys, graded cards, championship rings, and Hall of Fame autographs.

I know you said you're not an expert, but you've seen a lot of great vintage NBA shirts. Personally, I like the Nuggets one a bit better, but both look authentic to me.

I also wanted to thank you again for the Davis you sold me. I absolutely love it!

Comment

• bigtime59
                • Nov 2005

Perhaps TJ's job at Yankee $tadium was to force people to stand and salute during the interminable renditions of "God Bless America"?
                That could explain the "rubber truncheon" writing style employed in his letters!
                Mark
                msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• mvandor
                  Banned
                  • Apr 2007

I guess my question is if they just are ignoring those emails because they come from Game Used Universe members or if they just don't like to read about customer concerns that may cause an item to be pulled from an auction?
                  Does it really matter?

Fact is they had a ton of bad jerseys, several still are up (Namath and Rice that I know of). They never respond to emails expressing concerns it seems, and play games to keep GUU members from their auctions - oor people that nicely point out issues with items. As said earlier, they're cutting the buying pool down for their sellers, foolishly.

Comment

• hblakewolf
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mvandor
                    Does it really matter?

Fact is they had a ton of bad jerseys, several still are up (Namath and Rice that I know of). They never respond to emails expressing concerns it seems, and play games to keep GUU members from their auctions - oor people that nicely point out issues with items. As said earlier, they're cutting the buying pool down for their sellers, foolishly.

As noted in the Chris Leak thread:

My colleague emailed the folks at Grey Flannel through his personal email account, seeking specific information about this jersey (I also emailed my concerens about this jersey). My colleague has never posted on this Forum, nor has his name been on this Forum. His email was sent on 4-1-09, and as of this post, no reply has been received by either of us.

Howard Wolf
                    hblakewolf@comcast.net

Comment

• both-teams-played-hard
                      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by reed1216
                      BTPH- How's it going? I wanted to get your opinions on the two Walter Davis jerseys in Grey Flannel's auction...

I know you said you're not an expert, but you've seen a lot of great vintage NBA shirts. Personally, I like the Nuggets one a bit better, but both look authentic to me.

I also wanted to thank you again for the Davis you sold me. I absolutely love it!
                      Reed
                      I noticed both jerseys, and both look good to me. Again, Grey Flannel does sell some nice stuff. The mesh Suns is a couple of years more recent than your purple knit (probably around 81-82, before they went to Wilson). I think if you want a complete Sweet D collection, then this is a great place to start.
                      Yes, I had the Sweet D for 20+ years, so I miss it..glad it is with a true collector!
                      keep in contact,
                      Warren

Comment

• trsent
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by mvandor
                        Does it really matter?

Maybe they don't think the way you think.

I am not defending them for ignoring your emails. Maybe 10 items were removed from an 854 item auction. You don't like that two items are still there and they want $10,000 for the privilege of letting you bid in their auction for what we can assume is because they don't like that you questioned the authenticity of a couple of items.

So, will you continue to post negative replies to every post I make about the situation?

I believe they feel that this forum is a nuisance and it looks like their stance is if you question them they don't want you as a customer and we can complain about it or just take our business elsewhere.

I would think you would pick up the phone and ask Ritchie about his stance in your situation. It appears you are a good customer if you find an item authentic and maybe this could be cleared up with a phone call. I see 631-288-7800 as a phone number from their web site.

Comment

• trsent
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2005

By the way - After the way you have been treated I would guess you would take your business elsewhere as I personally won't spend money with people who make me feel like they don't want my money.

Comment

• mvandor
                            Banned
                            • Apr 2007

or just take our business elsewhere.
                            That is what I will do.

Given the economy and the edge many auction houses are on right now, GF needs people like me far more than I need another jersey. I guarantee you the sellers need all the buyers in the mix they can get right now, two reasons why GF's response to me was counterproductive, and unintelligent business.

If that's typical for them, I'll be interested to see if they survive the balance of the recession. You don't run a business that way, you simply don't.

But hey, keep stickin' up for the auction houses, that seems to be your shtick. I did everything right in my dealings with GF, I've got nothing to apologize for.

Comment

• helmets
                              • Mar 2008

Michael:
                              I've had a similar experience with GF.

I emailed them with a concern on a helmet. I never received a reply. I tried to log in last year to bid on one of their helmets. I could not log in. I called and was told the same thing, that I was suspended, and that if I wanted to bid, I had to send them a certified check for 5 or 10 grand. I asked the reason and they stated that I never paid for a jersey that I bought from them. What a load of crap. I don't collect jerseys, nor have I ever bought one from a major auction house.

I have spent a ton of money on helmets from HA, Mastro, Hunt, and even American Mem. I've never had a problem and never not paid for an auction. Steiner recently shipped a GU helmet to me without even charging my card. I called them to let them know what had happened, and they explained that they moved and it would be charged.

I will never buy from GF again.
                              Buying game used helmets of Packers - all eras as well as game used helmets of HOFers or future HOFers.

Comment

• TNTtoys
                                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by helmets
                                Michael:
                                I've had a similar experience with GF.

I emailed them with a concern on a helmet. I never received a reply. I tried to log in last year to bid on one of their helmets. I could not log in. I called and was told the same thing, that I was suspended, and that if I wanted to bid, I had to send them a certified check for 5 or 10 grand. I asked the reason and they stated that I never paid for a jersey that I bought from them. What a load of crap. I don't collect jerseys, nor have I ever bought one from a major auction house.

I have spent a ton of money on helmets from HA, Mastro, Hunt, and even American Mem. I've never had a problem and never not paid for an auction. Steiner recently shipped a GU helmet to me without even charging my card. I called them to let them know what had happened, and they explained that they moved and it would be charged.

I will never buy from GF again.
                                Guys,

I too have had the same experience with Grey Flannel. This is becoming quite a reoccurring theme with them...

I phoned them to express a concern with a couple of jerseys. Next thing I knew, my account was locked too. I called them again to see what was going on and was told that if I wanted to bid, I had to "send them a cashiers check or money order for the dollar amount of the bids I wished to place... Any remainder will be refunded to me." From that point, I never even considering bidding in another of their auctions again.

I too have spent a fair bit at other auction houses...Heritage, Mastro, Hunt, etc., and ditto, never had a single issue with making a payment. The other intangible is how many items I bid on and lost, only to result in the final price of the item being jacked up (which in turn made the auction houses more money than they would have gotten otherwise).
                                Looking for ...
                                Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
                                Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
                                Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...