Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Error on 2005 Donruss Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl Jersey Card?

I just bought a Fran Tarkenton 1976 Game-Worn Pro Bowl jersey card off of ebay.

The auction can be found here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110372311001

Trusting that Donruss would be correct about what jerseys they put in their cards, I didn't think there would be an issue. At first I was confused about what the "1976 Pro Bowl" stood for. I imagine it stands for the 1976 Pro Bowl that which would have been held at the end of the 1975 season, the same year that Tarkenton won the MVP.

But after I did some research, it turns out that Fran Tarkenton did not play in the 1976 Pro Bowl due to injury.

So how can this be? I have yet to get the card in the mail so I can't read the back of the card but the front does say "Game-Worn" nameplate and "Game-Worn" jersey number.

Does anybody have any thoughts about what could be going on here?

Thanks

Banned

Re: Error on 2005 Donruss Fran Tarkenton Pro Bowl Jersey Card?

Quote Originally Posted by RKO18 View Post
    I just bought a Fran Tarkenton 1976 Game-Worn Pro Bowl jersey card off of ebay.

The auction can be found here...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=110372311001

Trusting that Donruss would be correct about what jerseys they put in their cards, I didn't think there would be an issue. At first I was confused about what the "1976 Pro Bowl" stood for. I imagine it stands for the 1976 Pro Bowl that which would have been held at the end of the 1975 season, the same year that Tarkenton won the MVP.

But after I did some research, it turns out that Fran Tarkenton did not play in the 1976 Pro Bowl due to injury.

So how can this be? I have yet to get the card in the mail so I can't read the back of the card but the front does say "Game-Worn" nameplate and "Game-Worn" jersey number.

Does anybody have any thoughts about what could be going on here?

Thanks

The card companies think the majority of card collectors are idots (i might agree with this assumption). Hence, they could care less about the quality of items used in their precious inserts. Since most collectors would never do the research you did. Good for you! Write the company and give them a good ribbing.

If you search the forum you'll find ths isn't all that uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by schubert1970 View Post
    The card companies think the majority of card collectors are idots (i might agree with this assumption). Hence, they could care less about the quality of items used in their precious inserts. Since most collectors would never do the research you did. Good for you! Write the company and give them a good ribbing.

If you search the forum you'll find ths isn't all that uncommon.
    What I want to know is if the jersey within the card was actually worn by Tarkenton during any Pro Bowl, even if it wasn't during the 1976 one. Perhaps Tarkenton came to the Pro Bowl and stood on the sideline wearing the jersey? I know Marvin Harrison did that in 2006. Or perhaps back in the 1970's, players re-used Pro Bowl jerseysso long as they were selected to multiple games?

These are the questions I'd like to have answered. I can only hope that someone on the board might know, otherwise I'm going to have an interesting decision to make.

Banned

I would wait till you actually get the card in your hands to see exactly what the card states. The seller is saying that it is from the Pro Bowl. But the card itself may just say Game Worn and just a picture of him and calling this the (Pro Bowl series) (of this particular set).

If in deed it does state game worn during the pro bowl could also be a possibility that maybe even if he was injured could of sat on the sidelines. I know this doesn't mean game worn but that could be there way of saying he wore the Jersey as he sat there. I don't know just a suggestion.

Or this could be another card company blunder!!

There was a thread around here that showed a whole bunch of mistakes made by card companies. Some included jersey patches that were of colors of teams that player had never played for and retail bat pieces that were "game used."

My advice is this:

"7 day money back, buyer pays return shipping"

You did the research, you know its not authentic. Cut your losses.

And save your money for full jerseys.
    SCOTT
    scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    I would wait till you actually get the card in your hands to see exactly what the card states. The seller is saying that it is from the Pro Bowl. But the card itself may just say Game Worn and just a picture of him and calling this the (Pro Bowl series) (of this particular set).

If in deed it does state game worn during the pro bowl could also be a possibility that maybe even if he was injured could of sat on the sidelines. I know this doesn't mean game worn but that could be there way of saying he wore the Jersey as he sat there. I don't know just a suggestion.

Or this could be another card company blunder!!
    Thank you for the suggestion.

I did do some more research though. Tarkenton played for both the Vikings and the Giants. The colors of the jersey within the card are blue, white, and red. The material however is different from what the Giants used, the the Giants did not have any red on their jerseys during the Tarkenton era.

It could certainly be possible that Tarkenton wore the jersey on the sideline and that would be good enough for me even though it wouldn't be "Game-Used". I'd just really like to figure this out because it seems like too big a mistake to have been made.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RKO18 View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion.
    . I'd just really like to figure this out because it seems like too big a mistake to have been made.
    Trust me it's not too big of a mistake. Card companies have made worse in the past.

As the other member mentioned if you do a search you will see this topic has been brought up before on the mistakes card companies make.

I myself have once found a Darryl Strawberry card with a piece in the card of a patch with colors in it that Darryl could of never ever worn for a game.

Because the colors used were never used in anything he was apart of baseball wise.
    Was not an all star patch, world series, or anything as far as even a regular season significance patch.

Quote Originally Posted by suave1477 View Post
    Trust me it's not too big of a mistake. Card companies have made worse in the past.

As the other member mentioned if you do a search you will see this topic has been brought up before on the mistakes card companies make.

I myself have once found a Darryl Strawberry card with a piece in the card of a patch with colors in it that Darryl could of never ever worn for a game.

Because the colors used were never used in anything he was apart of baseball wise.
    Was not an all star patch, world series, or anything as far as even a regular season significance patch.
    I guess I've been in the dark about this, I have not collected too many game-worn jersey cards. I went to Donruss' website and there is a form you could fill out and send with the card to have a piece of "Prime-Jersey" authenticated. The problem is, I'm awaiting this card in the mail and I'd rather send it back than to risk it if there is not greater detail on the back of the card.

Is there any way to authenticate a swatch of material as far as attributing it to a certain player?

Well, maybe on CSI.

Or maybe if only one swatch was taken and someone has the rest of the jersey, so you can compare.

Ask them for a photo (back, front and tags) of the jersey that was cut up for the card. I asked Upper Deck for this info. They said they don't keep that info. I wonder why?

Someone mentioned the thread about bad swatches

http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_f...ad.php?t=17643
    Always looking for game used San Diego Chargers items...