Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1964 NY Jets Helmet?

Interesting story on this 1964 Jets helmet currently on auction. Can anyone elaborate, confirm, or, deny? Only pic. I could find resembling this decal is an illustration at the mmbolding site:

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/principm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/principm/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]

Re: 1964 NY Jets Helmet?

Looks like the website "Football Uniforms Past and Present" (http://www.weirdwolf.net/FFP/index.htm) also indicates that only in 1964 the Jets helmet logo was green on white (instead of the standard white on green).

Here is more confrirmation info of this green on white 1964 Jets logo that I found on another website, http://www.sportslogos.net/index.php
    Here is the specific link: http://www.sportslogos.net/team.php?id=152

Thanks for these links VHG. Does anyone have images/photographs of the Jets circa 1964? Aeneas01?

I found a photo on Wire Image of Jets player, Dan Ficca (#61), who is apparently the player who wore this 1964 Jets helmet for sale on Ebay. The photo I found appears to be from the 1963 season, as Ficca's helmet in this photo has the logo of a silhouette of a green jet. But the key is that the facemask worn by Dan Ficca in this 1963 photo is completely consistent with the facemask on the 1964 Dan Ficca Jets helmet currently for sale on Ebay. I am now quite convinced that the 1964 Jets helmet for sale on Ebay is the real deal and probably extremely rare, and apparently other people agree as the bid price is already up to $464.01 with 4 days left to go in the auction.

Quote Originally Posted by Vikingshelmetguy View Post
    But the key is that the facemask worn by Dan Ficca in this 1963 photo is completely consistent with the facemask on the 1964 Dan Ficca Jets helmet currently for sale on Ebay. I am now quite convinced that the 1964 Jets helmet for sale on Ebay is the real deal
    Yikes.

So that is the "key." All a person has to do is install a "consistent" facemask and you are convinced that it is the "real deal." I wish it were that easy.

I have a Browns suspension helmet with a two bar mask. It is consistent with what Jim Brown wore. I will make you are "real deal" on it...

Thanks for the photos bobw and your educated guess VHG. Oh, and I wouldn't buy that Jim Brown helmet from helmets.

Can anyone explain why the decals look like they've been painted on, or, running?

Quote Originally Posted by helmets View Post
    Yikes.

So that is the "key." All a person has to do is install a "consistent" facemask and you are convinced that it is the "real deal." I wish it were that easy.

I have a Browns suspension helmet with a two bar mask. It is consistent with what Jim Brown wore. I will make you are "real deal" on it...
    Helmets, maybe you're right. Perhaps I have swallowed a hook, line and sinker in naively assuming that because there is consistency in the make of the facemask of the Jets helmet for sale on Ebay compared to the facemask displayed in one tiny and hard-to-see photo, that the Ebay Jets helmet is the "real deal". But let me clarify that I am making my assumption/educated guess based on, not just on the facemask type only, but rather on the collective sum of all the evidence presented in the auction listing: Very up front and exact details set forth in the auction description, with a story that seems relatively plausible; yes, the consistency of the facemask compared to a photo of the player identified, as well as the lack of any other drill holes in the helmet shell (which suggests that there was no other previous type of mask affixed to the helmet, and that the existing mask may be original); a rare "MacGregor" brand of helmet with old interior padding that is hard to find/replicate; the consistent size and placement of the helmet decal; and the seemingly legit-looking game wear showing helmet to helmet contact on the top part of the helmet, suggesting that a lineman wore the helmet. But, hey, I could really be wrong in my assumption too....

Helmets, out of curiosity, is there something about this Jets helmet for sale on Ebay that makes you believe or think that it is not legit, or that it may be a fake or a replica???? Do you think the Seller's story is BS? By the way, just to be clear, I do not know the seller (and I am not a Jets fan), and so I am not trying to be a shiller for the seller or the auction listing.

Thanks for clarifying for me the reasons for your "educated guess" with your last post VHG, however you did not state any of that with your previous post. It was simply stated that since the mask was consistent, that you were "quite convinced" that it is the real deal.

My post was with regards to your comment and not with the helmet and if it is the real deal or not.