Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyjetsfan14
    • Apr 2006

Re: OT: Best All Around Infield Ever

I'll have to agree: Garvey, Lopes, Russell and Cey is one of the better of all time. But as much disdain as I have for the Yanks, I say gimme any infield with Derek Jeter at SS and I'll take my chances.

Comment

• SkubeBats
      Banned
      • May 2006

I would have to say the Milwaukee Brewers had a great infield back in the early 1980's.

1st base- Cecil Cooper
      2nd base- Jim Gantner
      shortstop- Robin Yount
      3rd base- Paul Molitor
      Catcher- Ted Simmons

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by SkubeBats
        I would have to say the Milwaukee Brewers had a great infield back in the early 1980's.

1st base- Cecil Cooper
        2nd base- Jim Gantner
        shortstop- Robin Yount
        3rd base- Paul Molitor
        Catcher- Ted Simmons
        I used to watch the Brewers back in the days because of their high powered offense and Yount was one of my favorite shortstops to watch. Never seen so many homeruns from a team those years.
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• bigtruck260
          • Sep 2007

Originally posted by LastingsMilledge85
          I think Keith considers himself a Cardinal, whenever he talks about his career or opinion on baseball teams, he always favors the Cradinals.
          Maybe it's becuase he's rarely in St. Louis - not sure. Most guys who have played for the Cardinals favor them. There are a few though, that will tell you they didn't enjoy their time here.

Hernandez was a great player, I just personally never really saw him as a Cardinal - since I became a fan after he went to the Mets...(and you know what STL fans called the mid-80's Mets? PONDSCUM).

Now that I think about it, I didn't like Keith becuase of his mustache.
          Dave
          Looking for 1990's STL Cardinal starting pitcher's bats
          River City Redbird Authentics
          http://www.freewebs.com/bigtruck260/

sigpic

Comment

• 5kRunner
            • Aug 2007

Originally posted by bigtruck260
            Maybe it's becuase he's rarely in St. Louis - not sure. Most guys who have played for the Cardinals favor them. There are a few though, that will tell you they didn't enjoy their time here.

Hernandez was a great player, I just personally never really saw him as a Cardinal - since I became a fan after he went to the Mets...(and you know what STL fans called the mid-80's Mets? PONDSCUM).

Now that I think about it, I didn't like Keith becuase of his mustache.
            Who does this guy think he is?

I'm Keith Hernandez.
            Attached Files
            SCOTT
            scottjrepking at gmail.com

Always looking for game used bats from Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Mark Grace, Jody Davis, Shawon Dunston, Jerome Walton, Rick Sutcliffe, and Greg Maddux. Preferably CUBS era bats.
            sigpic

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

BigTruck:

I didn't care for Hernandez because he was a JERK...period. There are numerous stories out there of him dissing fans and even promoters over autographs, but the one I personally witnessed was c.1983-84. A female autograph collector (although to be fair, she looks more like SNL's Pat than a woman) approached him for an autograph outside Wrigley Field, and he pushed her in the shoulder in a "get away from me" manner. I don't care what your gender is or how attractive/unattractive you are...this was more than Hernandez needed to do or should have done.

Dave M.
              Chicago area

Comment

• thomecollector
                • May 2006

Originally posted by sox83cubs84
                BigTruck:

I didn't care for Hernandez because he was a JERK...period. There are numerous stories out there of him dissing fans and even promoters over autographs, but the one I personally witnessed was c.1983-84. A female autograph collector (although to be fair, she looks more like SNL's Pat than a woman) approached him for an autograph outside Wrigley Field, and he pushed her in the shoulder in a "get away from me" manner. I don't care what your gender is or how attractive/unattractive you are...this was more than Hernandez needed to do or should have done.

Dave M.
                Chicago area
                Dave,
                Could you email me. I have a jersey that I want to get your thoughts on. Thanks,Roger
                Roger Ward- Thomecollector
                thomecollector@verizon.net

Comment

• joelsabi
                  • Aug 2005

[QUOTE=suave1477;166871]Joelsabi I must say I am a bit surprised you would put Cano into that company of best ever. After all the big mistakes he was made.
                  QUOTE]

did you change your opinion on cano's defense ability after last night? probably not. i think he was a man of happenstance on the two plays that were highlighted.

1) the bobbled ball off Jeter that cano barehanded for a out at second and almost threw to tex for a dp. good heads up play tho.
                  2) cano catching a possible drive up the middle in the eighth. He was shading left for a possible pick off of figgins at second.

anyways, rather be lucky than good some times.
                  Regards,
                  Joel S.
                  joelsabi @ gmail.com
                  Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• suave1477
                    Banned
                    • Jan 2006

[quote=joelsabi;167369]
                    Originally posted by suave1477
                    Joelsabi I must say I am a bit surprised you would put Cano into that company of best ever. After all the big mistakes he was made.
                    QUOTE]

did you change your opinion on cano's defense ability after last night? probably not. i think he was a man of happenstance on the two plays that were highlighted.

1) the bobbled ball off Jeter that cano barehanded for a out at second and almost threw to tex for a dp. good heads up play tho.
                    2) cano catching a possible drive up the middle in the eighth. He was shading left for a possible pick off of figgins at second.

anyways, rather be lucky than good some times.
                    Joelabi it takes more that one or 2 good plays in one game for me to turn around and say they are solid defensively. It takes a season of consistancy of solid defense.

1) Do you remember the game I believe it was last year where Girardi benched Cano for a game or 2 when he watched a ball roll right by him?
                    2) Do you remember the game when Torre benched him when a ball came at him to where (he should of been standing) and he was no where to be found. Even the announcers were playing the video over and over trying to figure out where Cano went because you couldn't find him in the screeen shot.
                    3) Or how about the other night when Cano dissapeared into the outfield and Tex had to cover second?

Comment

• joelsabi
                      • Aug 2005

[QUOTE=suave1477;167393]
                      Originally posted by joelsabi

Joelabi it takes more that one or 2 good plays in one game for me to turn around and say they are solid defensively. It takes a season of consistancy of solid defense.

1) Do you remember the game I believe it was last year where Girardi benched Cano for a game or 2 when he watched a ball roll right by him?
                      2) Do you remember the game when Torre benched him when a ball came at him to where (he should of been standing) and he was no where to be found. Even the announcers were playing the video over and over trying to figure out where Cano went because you couldn't find him in the screeen shot.
                      3) Or how about the other night when Cano dissapeared into the outfield and Tex had to cover second?

agreed. like i said, the two good plays were lucky happenstance.

cano does seem to disappear at time. sometimes, we cannot even find him nowhere near where he should be when the cameraman zooms out.
                      Regards,
                      Joel S.
                      joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• bigtime59
                        • Nov 2005

Joelsabi I must say I am a bit surprised you would put Cano into that company of best ever. After all the big mistakes he was made.
                        As for the other 3 No Argument here.
                        It had better be the best f-----g infield ever: at $81MM and change those four guys would be MLB's 15th highest payroll by themselves!

Think about that: the Yankee$ infield is paid more than the entire roster of half the teams in MLB!

Of course Cano makes mistakes! Hell, he's only costing the Yankee$ $6MM this season, just about a third of his next least expensive infield mate.
                        Mark
                        msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by bigtime59
                          It had better be the best f-----g infield ever: at $81MM and change those four guys would be MLB's 15th highest payroll by themselves!

Think about that: the Yankee$ infield is paid more than the entire roster of half the teams in MLB!

Of course Cano makes mistakes! Hell, he's only costing the Yankee$ $6MM this season, just about a third of his next least expensive infield mate.
                          Bigtime59,

I'm not following. Based on your criteria a small market like Baltimore (Brooks Robby/Belanger/D. Johnson or Grich/Powell) could not field the best infield.

Or

Based on an overall infield, a small market like Cleveland (Omar Vizque/Roberto Alomar/Travis Fryman/ Jim Thome) could not field a top 10 all-time infield since they make paid so little.

and Based on your criteria, last year's Boston infield (Youkalis/Pedroia/ Gonzalez/Lowell ) is the second greatest infield since they make so much.

I do not see any relation between salary and ranking great infielding units.

Regards,

Joel
                          Regards,
                          Joel S.
                          joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• CollectGU
                            • Nov 2005

[quote=joelsabi;167408]

Cano has become a gold glove candidate and might be the best in the AL at turing DP's! He has had lapses in concentration, but the guy is an unbelieveable fielder! He will win multiple gold gloves before his career is over

Comment

• bigtime59
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by joelsabi
                              Bigtime59,

I'm not following. Based on your criteria a small market like Baltimore (Brooks Robby/Belanger/D. Johnson or Grich/Powell) could not field the best infield.

Or

Based on an overall infield, a small market like Cleveland (Omar Vizque/Roberto Alomar/Travis Fryman/ Jim Thome) could not field a top 10 all-time infield since they make paid so little.

and Based on your criteria, last year's Boston infield (Youkalis/Pedroia/ Gonzalez/Lowell ) is the second greatest infield since they make so much.

I do not see any relation between salary and ranking great infielding units.

Regards,

Joel
                              I'm sure you also fail to see the correlation between the half a billion dollars the Yankee$ threw at free agents this past off season and the shiny trophy they'll be taking home in about ten days.
                              I'm sure you'll also think it's fair that if Joe Mauer becomes a free agent, he'll wind up with the Yankee$. Same for Pujols, same for Lackey...same for everybody.
                              It's boring and it's anti-competitive.
                              Mark
                              msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
                                • Aug 2005

Originally posted by bigtime59
                                I'm sure you also fail to see the correlation between the half a billion dollars the Yankee$ threw at free agents this past off season and the shiny trophy they'll be taking home in about ten days.
                                I'm sure you'll also think it's fair that if Joe Mauer becomes a free agent, he'll wind up with the Yankee$. Same for Pujols, same for Lackey...same for everybody.
                                It's boring and it's anti-competitive.
                                bigtime, stick to what i argued first and prove what you originally claim. youre saying the current yankee infield is the best ever because they have the highest paid lineup ever. i presume that your arguement goes further than just the best infield and you can rank the best according to salary totals. thats just not true.

i see a correlation between salaries and being able to bring over or keep talent. the cleveland infield wasnt kept before as they got better the small market could not afford to keep thome and alomar. salary are at a flux based on among other the current market, home grown talent, years in the league, etc.

the yankees have had the largest salaries every year for the last ten years and how many championship have they had in that period? theres no way to positively predict that they win it all this year becuase you would have lost that bet the last 8 years.
                                Regards,
                                Joel S.
                                joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

Working...