Re: OT: Best All Around Infield Ever

Blauser & Lemke were my fav
    Always buying David Justice items

Comment

• bigtime59
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by joelsabi
      bigtime, stick to what i argued first and prove what you originally claim. youre saying the current yankee infield is the best ever because they have the highest paid lineup ever. i presume that your arguement goes further than just the best infield and you can rank the best according to salary totals. thats just not true.

i see a correlation between salaries and being able to bring over or keep talent. the cleveland infield wasnt kept before as they got better the small market could not afford to keep thome and alomar. salary are at a flux based on among other the current market, home grown talent, years in the league, etc.

the yankees have had the largest salaries every year for the last ten years and how many championship have they had in that period? theres no way to positively predict that they win it all this year becuase you would have lost that bet the last 8 years.
      Much as baseball fans love to compare players from different eras, it's farcically unfair to players of the past. Mark Belanger--one of the best shortstops of his time--couldn't sniff the major leagues in 2009. So, yes, given what the Yankee$ have paid for it, it had better be the best infield ever...because there isn't another team in baseball that could afford it!

And I get really, really tired of this "they haven't won a WS since 2000, so how are the Yankee$ buying titles?" crap. What the Yankee$ have bought--every year since 1995, save last year--was a ticket to the post season, either as the AL East or Wild Card winner. (What they tended to forget to buy was middle relief, but that's another story.) You think the Florida Marlins of 1997 or 2003 were the best team in baseball that year? Really? I bet you could take 2/3s of the teams in MLB and randomly drop them into the World Series and--if a couple of their pitchers got hot and a couple of their hitters went crazy for a week--they could win a World Series. The playoffs are that much of a crap shoot. The problem is that those teams can't get to the playoffs, much less the World Series.
      So, until the wealth is shared equitably, the game is rigged, fixed and a sham. The Yankee$ are just the most blatant beneficiaries of that sham.
      And if you believe they actually lose money--ever--I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Zimbabwe...cheap.
      Mark
      msutton59@gmail.com

Comment

• joelsabi
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by murfsteve25
        Blauser & Lemke were my fav
        according to mark (bigtime59) your dp combo cannot be on a championship team. too low budget.
        Regards,
        Joel S.
        joelsabi @ gmail.com
        Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by bigtime59
          And if you believe they actually lose money--ever--I have some oceanfront property to sell you in Zimbabwe...cheap.
          mauer should have the choice to be a yankee just as you had the choice to buy ocean property in zimbabwe.
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com
          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• murfsteve25
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by joelsabi
            according to mark (bigtime59) your dp combo cannot be on a championship team. too low budget.
            Gotcha...i didnt read his post, only the title and then briefly a few other member's replies. In that case, I'll take Rafael Furcal. With his arm and speed he doesnt need the rest of the infield...jk of course. I really like the Arod, Jeter, Cano and Tex combo that was brought up. The Yankees really dont have an excuse to lose the Series this year. With all the all stars they have on their team and the money their paying, you'd think they would dominate the league every year.
            Always buying David Justice items

Comment

• WadeInBmore
              • Sep 2007

I still think that the 1997 Orioles infield was pretty awesome...

Rafael Palmeiro at first
              Cal Ripken Jr at third
              and the DP combo of Bordick (ss) and Alomar (2nd)

For me the Roberto Alomar years were some of the most memorable, most amazing years. He added an amazing explosive defensive force.

wade

Comment

Working...