Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1988 GU Auto's Straw on Ebay

For the Mets fans out there, those of us that are left ...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Enjoy!!!

Re: 1988 GU Auto's Straw on Ebay

Not sure I can edit thread titles but should say Auto'd...BOL

size 42 for the strawman?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by flaco1801 View Post
    size 42 for the strawman?
    Not totally surprising...that was still the days when 42 was still a normal sized guy's size in MLB unies. Strawman was tall, but lean. These days, you have to be a shrimp to wear a 42...but not in the 1980s.

Dave M.
    Chicago area

Quote Originally Posted by sox83cubs84 View Post
    Not totally surprising...that was still the days when 42 was still a normal sized guy's size in MLB unies. Strawman was tall, but lean. These days, you have to be a shrimp to wear a 42...but not in the 1980s.

Dave M.
    Chicago area
    Dave,

Size looks fine to me, and the autograph is perfect. There are however a few things alarming to me about the jersey --

1. Where is the extra length tag? Strawberry may have been skinny enough to fit into a size 42, but he was so tall he ordered his jerseys with extra length.

2. Why is the set flag tag partially covered in the photo? I have written to the seller asking for a better photo or even a description of what the tag reads. This was at 5 days ago. I have yet to receive a response.

3. The back #1 appears to be much larger than the back #8. Do you see what I mean? Almost like it's got an extra inch. I don't know what to make of this.

All along, I have been very interested in this jersey for my own collection, but I am having second thoughts now.

Nick
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

i have straws tides jersey and its a sandknit/mooneys extra large

Banned

TnT as we have discussed and to help further educate the forum on the question marks with the Jersey.

1) Although it could be possible he wore a size 42, by 1988 he was most likely wearing a 44.
    2) To add to this, this Jersey shows a tapered tag which I have never seen on a Strawberry Jersey.
    3) Not to say this isn't possible but you add the 2 things together size 42 and Tapered = a very small tight fit Jersey even for Strawberry. Which basically makes it a 41 - 3 Sizes down from where he should be.
    4) Strawberry has always had extra length added to his Jersey - which this one is missing.

Check out the attached pic from the order for 1989! Straw still shows 42T! Interesting!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by cbb5 View Post
    Check out the attached pic from the order for 1989! Straw still shows 42T! Interesting!
    Thanks for the information, it was quite interesting! Despite the information that he ordered 42Ts in 1989, the fact that there is a "T" tag on the 1988 shirt is still an issue. I do not believe that Rawlings was applying such a tag to those shirts at that time; case and point, I have Bil Robinson's 1989 set 1, and his jersey despite being a size 46 tapered does not have a T patch. I can only remember seeing these patches on the 90s and beyond. Where the player had also ordered "extra length" (which was the case with Strawberry), the "T" patch was not present, in light of the extra length tag in the same positioning. All Strawberry jerseys I have seen from this era have had the extra length tag; this one didn't.
    Looking for ...
    Any Game Used Mets jerseys from 1986 and 1987
    Any Keith Hernandez, Ron Darling, Lee Mazzilli and John Olerud Mets items
    Email me at TNT_Toys@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by TNTtoys View Post
    Thanks for the information, it was quite interesting! Despite the information that he ordered 42Ts in 1989, the fact that there is a "T" tag on the 1988 shirt is still an issue. I do not believe that Rawlings was applying such a tag to those shirts at that time;
    I own two Cal Ripken Jr. 1988 GU jersey's and they both have the "T" tag