X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NYCrulesU
    Banned
    • Jul 2009

MLB authentication # question

I am looking into buying an item that is MLB authenticated. Problem is, it's not showing up when I look up the number.

Also, the prefix is MA. I don't even see an option for MA. Could anyone offer opinions on this?

The item is a game used, signed and inscribed, hr baseball. Thanks.
  • tjm5711
    Banned
    • Dec 2009

Re: MLB authentication # question

I wouldn't worry too much about that. MLB and NFL Auctions both screw up their holo verification databases from time to time. I have a Sammy Sosa autographed jersey that doesn't register in the database either, and it has a Mounted Memories Hologram on it as well. I have bought items on Ebay from NFL Auctions that when I go to look them up have an entirely different item listed/pictured. As long as there's a legit MLB Hologram on it, I wouldn't sweat it.`

Comment

• NYCrulesU
      Banned
      • Jul 2009

Any thoughts on it's being prefixed "MA" and no MA being listed on their site as a prefix?

Comment

• tjm5711
        Banned
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by NYCrulesU
        Any thoughts on it's being prefixed "MA" and no MA being listed on their site as a prefix?

I wouldn't worry too much. Are you buying this off of Ebay ? As long as it's a legitimate MLB hologram, You should be good. These guys(Especially NFL Auctions) don't put a whole lot of care into their data entry at times. My Sosa Jersey has the same issue. I couldn't find the prefix either.

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by NYCrulesU
          I am looking into buying an item that is MLB authenticated. Problem is, it's not showing up when I look up the number.

Also, the prefix is MA. I don't even see an option for MA. Could anyone offer opinions on this?

The item is a game used, signed and inscribed, hr baseball. Thanks.

I can only tell you that I have not ever seen an MA prefix on any items that I have ever owned or seen. I am sure that things are not registered correctly on occasion but the pre-fix is a bit strange to me. Hopefully someone else has at least seen one before and can verify it's a legit prefix.

Comment

• tjm5711
            Banned
            • Dec 2009

Put a picture of the hologram in the thread. They might have peeled one off of a hat or something. Or at least describe what it looks like.

Comment

• yanks12025
              • Jan 2006

I have seen the mlb hologram prefix MA before but it was not good. My item was for a game used bat and i found out they stopped using the MA hologram before this bat was used, so they determinded someone put the hologram on the bat from another item or the role of holograsm got stolen. I dont remember 100% what they said, but if i was you i would call them and ask.

Comment

• tjm5711
                Banned
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by yanks12025
                I have seen the mlb hologram prefix MA before but it was not good. My item was for a game used bat and i found out they stopped using the MA hologram before this bat was used, so they determinded someone put the hologram on the bat from another item or the role of holograsm got stolen. I dont remember 100% what they said, but if i was you i would call them and ask.

Really ? A stolen roll of Holograms? That is really disturbing. Who told you that ?

Comment

• yanks12025
                  • Jan 2006

The person i sold the item contacted mlb and thats what they said it could be from, because we were both trying to figure out the MA prefix. But don't quote me 100%.

Originally posted by tjm5711
                  Really ? A stolen roll of Holograms? That is really disturbing. Who told you that ?

Comment

• tjm5711
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by yanks12025
                    The person i sold the item contacted mlb and thats what they said it could be from, because we were both trying to figure out the MA prefix. But don't quote me 100%.
                    Yeah, I just find it hard to believe a roll of holograms is floating around out there from MLB. I hope it's not true. If it is that is very very disturbing to Autograph Collectors like me.

Comment

• NYCrulesU
                      Banned
                      • Jul 2009

Once I receive an clear photo, I will post it.

Comment

• David
                        • Sep 2024

I have no insight into the MA, but for companies like MLB and UDA it sometimes takes a while to enter/process the data. So that a hologram number doesn't show up in a database search shouldn't automatically be considered a scary problem. Omission is often simply a short term data processing issue and not an issue of authenticity.

Comment

• yanks12025
                          • Jan 2006

I went and looked through my old emails and the MA hologram was stopped in 2005(according to MLB Authenticator). I believe it's the round ones, and the reason they stopped it was because it sucked at being Tamper Proof.

Comment

• tjm5711
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by David
                            I have no insight into the MA, but for companies like MLB and UDA it sometimes takes a while to enter/process the data. So that a hologram number doesn't show up in a database search shouldn't automatically be considered a scary problem. Omission is often simply a short term data processing issue and not an issue of authenticity.

That's what i was thinking, and hoping rather than it being a stolen roll of Holograms.

Comment

• David
                              • Sep 2024

Also, if a hologram was removed from one item and placed on another, there's a probably chance that the number would still show up in a MLB database search (though w/ description for the first item). The average taker has no ability to erase the number and description from the MLB computers.

Of course hologram switching is always a possibility in this hobby, but I don't see the omission of the number and description from the database as likely evidence of this.

Comment

Working...