Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yanks12025
    • Jan 2006

Re: MLB authentication # question

You guys do understand that the prefix MA is not on mlb website, there's no way to look it up like you can with a BB or LH hologram.

Comment

• NYCrulesU
      Banned
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by yanks12025
      I went and looked through my old emails and the MA hologram was stopped in 2005(according to MLB Authenticator). I believe it's the round ones, and the reason they stopped it was because it sucked at being Tamper Proof.

Thanks for that bit of info. The item is said to be from 2003. So what you've said would make perfect sense. Here's the pic I do have. While it is quite blurry, does it look tampered with in any way? It also has the ESM/ASI hologram.

Comment

• tjm5711
        Banned
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by David
        Also, if a hologram was removed from one item and placed on another, there's a probably chance that the number would still show up in a MLB database search (though w/ description for the first item). The average taker has no ability to erase the number and description from the MLB computers.

Of course hologram switching is always a possibility in this hobby, but I don't see the omission of the number and description from the database as likely evidence of this.

I thought these holograms were designed to show whether they had been tampered with .

Comment

• David
          • Sep 2024

One last database note. PSA card holders are sometimes tampered with and the serial numbered labels altered and switched. In these cases, the serial number commonly shows up in the PSA database but the database lists it as for a clearly different card (1987 Topps Greg Maddox Vs 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle). This is similar to one looking up a 2002 Orioles jersey hologram number on the MLB database andd it's listed as being for a 2006 Brewers second base.

And the reason the card collector looked up the PSA number in the first place, is usually because the card/holder looks awfully suspicious if not outright dubious.

Comment

• tjm5711
            Banned
            • Dec 2009

Originally posted by David
            One last database note. PSA card holders are sometimes tampered with and the serial numbered labels altered and switched. In these cases, the serial number commonly shows up in the PSA database but the database lists it as for a clearly different card (1987 Topps Greg Maddox Vs 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle). This is similar to one looking up a 2002 Orioles jersey hologram number on the MLB database andd it's listed as being for a 2006 Brewers second base.

And the reason the card collector looked up the PSA number in the first place, is usually because the card/holder looks awfully suspicious if not outright dubious.

I think it would be fairly noticeable if people were changing PSA Slabs out.

Comment

• David
              • Sep 2024

I don't know about all the holograms and stickers, but many are intricately die cut to be destroyed/unusable if someone tries to remove them. I tested a PSA/DNA sticker once and will testify the sticker could not have been reused. The act of removing the sticker ruined it, making it look not unlike a window pane shattered into many small pieces on the floor.

Comment

• indyred
                • May 2006

Wouldn't touch the ball in million years. The key thing on home run ball is the Mlb hologram and it showing up as home run baseball in data base. You would have to be a complete idiot to touch that ball with a bad hologram. Don't waste your money.

Comment

• tjm5711
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by indyred
                  Wouldn't touch the ball in million years. The key thing on home run ball is the Mlb hologram and it showing up as home run baseball in data base. You would have to be a complete idiot to touch that ball with a bad hologram. Don't waste your money.

It might just be a Data Entry error like someone alluded to earlier in the thread. I wouldn't call someone a "complete idiot" for buying a ball like that.

Comment

• NYCrulesU
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by tjm5711
                    It might just be a Data Entry error like someone alluded to earlier in the thread. I wouldn't call someone a "complete idiot" for buying a ball like that.

No, I wouldn't say that it's a data entry error. Like Yanks12025 said, the MA prefix no longer exists. At all. There is no way for me to verify this ball through MLB.com. The only option I would have is to eye the hologram to see if I felt comfortable with it, then decide if I felt comfortable with the inscription and with the sellers say so that it is indeed a hr baseball from a MLB game hit by Rafael Palmeiro.

Too many if's for me.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2009

Avoid it. Since you cannot look it up in the database you have no idea what the MLB hologram even if it is an authentic hologram is authenticating. It could be to authenticate only the signature. Sellers sometimes try to fool people especially on Ebay by trying to pass a game used item that is certified as to the autograph as being certfied as to the game use as well. And as for ASI/ESM ESM is out of business for sure and ASI either is or is fledging as I have not heard of them having a signing or anything in a long time. They started out as one company and one of the key people left to form ESM. I have heard negative things about both companies and when ASI was on Ebay they had alot of negative feedback.

Comment

• NYCrulesU
                        Banned
                        • Jul 2009

Thanks LegalEagle.

Comment

• tjm5711
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                          Avoid it. Since you cannot look it up in the database you have no idea what the MLB hologram even if it is an authentic hologram is authenticating. It could be to authenticate only the signature. Sellers sometimes try to fool people especially on Ebay by trying to pass a game used item that is certified as to the autograph as being certfied as to the game use as well. And as for ASI/ESM ESM is out of business for sure and ASI either is or is fledging as I have not heard of them having a signing or anything in a long time. They started out as one company and one of the key people left to form ESM. I have heard negative things about both companies and when ASI was on Ebay they had alot of negative feedback.

Once again, a good point about a MLB authenticated autographed item being passed off as game used. As far as this unknown prefix, it's really a guessing game as to the reason. And it's all speculation until someone gets an explanation from MLB.

Comment

• STLHAMMER32
                            • Sep 2009

My suggestion would be to see what kind of price you could get for the ball.....explain to the seller the concerns about the item nicely and see what he can do on the price. If the ball turns out to be everything it is described to be, you will have yourself a great item and a bargain price. If the item does not turn out exactly as described you didnt break the bank on the item but still have a very nice ball signed and inscribed by your favorite player.

Jus my .02 but I would at least try to see if you could get it at a price that is comfortable for you given the circumstances surrounding the ball. Then if it doesnt work out you know you gave it every effort.... Hope everything works out whatever way you feel best.

Comment

• tjm5711
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by STLHAMMER32
                              My suggestion would be to see what kind of price you could get for the ball.....explain to the seller the concerns about the item nicely and see what he can do on the price. If the ball turns out to be everything it is described to be, you will have yourself a great item and a bargain price. If the item does not turn out exactly as described you didnt break the bank on the item but still have a very nice ball signed and inscribed by your favorite player.

Jus my .02 but I would at least try to see if you could get it at a price that is comfortable for you given the circumstances surrounding the ball. Then if it doesnt work out you know you gave it every effort.... Hope everything works out whatever way you feel best.

That's a good way to look at it. Everyone knows it's a gamble sometimes in this Hobby. And sometimes you can win BIG ! It's just a matter of how much you want to bet !

Comment

• NYCrulesU
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by STLHAMMER32

Without being able to authenticate the ball as 100% authentic it isn't something I would want to purchase for my collection, even at $5. I prefer to know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that all items I buy are legit.

But thank you for your advice.

Comment

Working...