• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • platinum1
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

Re: February Pickups!!

Originally posted by CollectGU
    I'm hoping the Brett wasn't the Mizuno with the UDA paperwork on ebay...

Dave
    Why is that?

Comment

• sicollector1954
      • Apr 2007

Here is my latest-greatest pick up. It is a 1951-55 Ted Williams W 166 game used bat. It is 35 inches in length and currently weighs 29.7 oz. (probably was a 32 oz. bat years ago) It is uncracked and was originally given to a Fenway Park vendor many years ago by Williams himself. The vendor in turn awarded the bat to his grandson (now 45) on his 16th birthday and that is where I got it from. The bat is uncracked and shows lots of use including ball marks, rack marks and cleat marks everywhere. The number 9 is still visible under a black light on the knob as well. I purchased the bat by flying to Boston, MA. Problem was a thing called "Homeland Security" when I got ready to fly back to Illinois. The bat is considered a weapon by law and I was not allowed to board having it in my possession. Luckily, I brought along a FED EX shipping container and packed it securely. It then went below the plane as a bag. After arriving back--I had to hope beyond hope that it popped up on the baggage claim carousel. I am relieved to say it did and not has a nice home with my other game used bats.
      Attached Files

Comment

• deburton
        • Oct 2008

Hi, here are a few recent pickups.
        1993-94 game used Cedric Ceballos Phoenix Suns autographed home jersey. Currently for sale on the Collector to Collector classifieds.Please take a look.
        2009 game used uncracked Carlos Guillen Detroit Tigers Max bat.

thanks for looking, David
        foulball19@msn.com
        Attached Files

Comment

• yanks12025
          • Jan 2006

So your the one who got the Williams bat. That guy was a jerk to deal with. May i ask what you ended up paying for the bat, because he had two seperate listing prices and never gave a real price with what he wanted(i offered $3,100). If i didn't dick around with asking questions i would have had it for the $250. Also you do know it's going to send a red flag to someone saying you'll fly to pick it up. So what do you think the value is, i told him it all depends on use and i could offer more but have to see the bat inperson, we'll he won't do that. Did you look at the other gamers that he said he had. You can email at boblee89@yahoo.com if you dont want to post details

Comment

• deburton
            • Oct 2008

here's the rest of the Guillen bat !
            Attached Files

Comment

• yanks12025
              • Jan 2006

Also SI, i would question the story about the bat because he told me something different then what you stated as to how he recieved the bat when i was talking to the guy on the phone.

Comment

• NYCrulesU
                Banned
                • Jul 2009

Not technically a February pick up but close enough Thanks to a great member I was able to acquire these items for my Palmeiro collection.

- 2 pairs of 2005 game used Raffy batting gloves. They show incredible use!

- a signed and inscribed, fully sealed champagne bottle given to teammates and clubhouse staff the night Raffy collected hit #3000. What an amazing one of a kind piece of memorabilia!

Sorry to have to use the sellers original photo. I haven't had much time lately.

Comment

• spartakid
                  • Oct 2008

I'm hoping the Brett wasn't the Mizuno with the UDA paperwork on ebay...

Dave
                  On a side note, I was offered the same glove after the auction ended. The guy wanted to sell it for 9K, and it didn't even reach 1K (If I remember correctly) on ebay. Is the glove not legit or something?
                  Ricardo Montoya

ri.montoya at yahoo dot com

Comment

• CollectGU
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by spartakid
                    On a side note, I was offered the same glove after the auction ended. The guy wanted to sell it for 9K, and it didn't even reach 1K (If I remember correctly) on ebay. Is the glove not legit or something?
                    Brett was a wilson guy his whole career..He could have used a Mizuno, but I'd have to see photo evidence of that:
                    Attached Files

Comment

• murfsteve25
                      • Oct 2008

Just paid the final payment for this. Picked up from Zane Burns. Great video match from game 4 of the 95 world series.
                      Attached Files
                      Always buying David Justice items

Comment

• Kid4hof03
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by murfsteve25
                        Just paid the final payment for this. Picked up from Zane Burns. Great video match from game 4 of the 95 world series.

Wow Steve, congratulations! I would imagine that that is now the centerpiece of your collection, glad you got it.

Abe

Comment

• dcgreg25
                          • Jan 2008

Steve, WOW that is a nice jersey. I think you should sell me your Justice Indians jersey to help pay for it All kidding aside, congratulations, World Series jerseys are incredible additions and that one looks great!

Comment

• murfsteve25
                            • Oct 2008

Abe/Greg -

Thanks again fellas. This is without a doubt my centerpiece. Cant wait to come home in April so I can see it for myself.
                            Always buying David Justice items

Comment

• CampWest
                              • May 2008

Brett was a wilson guy his whole career..He could have used a Mizuno, but I'd have to see photo evidence of that:
                              Ditto. I lowered my price threshold considerably to MLB-game-issued or event-used at best:
                              1) I could find no evidence of him using a Mizuno glove prior to the auction closing, still haven't. And agree that he used nearly exclusively Wilson brand gloves, to the best of my knowledge.
                              2) I discounted the UDA letter as nearly worthless, since it does not state any specifics on the glove, ie make, model, color, etc. Nothing definitively ties that glove to that letter, ie potential exists for a switcheroo.
                              3) Letter only says its genuine and authentic, but does not assert that it was used in MLB Game or even used by George personally - its insufficiently vague for my reliance.
                              4) the glove was not offered by UDA until 10 years after Brett's retirement, meaning a lot of things could have happened in between, All-Star game appearances, 10 years of Spring Trainings, charity/celebrity softball games... Just no telling when and where the glove would have actually been used by George, if at all.

I cannot disprove its possible authenticity, but I sure can't validate it as MLB Game Used by Brett either. I hope for the buyer that it can be validated as genuine...
                              sigpic
                              Wes Campbell

Comment

• mbrieve
                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by deburton
                                Hi, here are a few recent pickups.
                                1993-94 game used Cedric Ceballos Phoenix Suns autographed home jersey. Currently for sale on the Collector to Collector classifieds.Please take a look.
                                2009 game used uncracked Carlos Guillen Detroit Tigers Max bat.

thanks for looking, David
                                foulball19@msn.com
                                If the Guillen bat was used in a game, as opposed to batting practice, it should be pretty easy to photomatch. I recorded into an excel file every AB that Guillen had in 2009 and the only game he used a Max bat was on April 9, 2009 against the Blue Jays. My notes from the game are as follows. ABs 1-3, Max bat, black barrel and natural handle (non-HD game, may have been Mariucci). If you want the entire excel file, I can e-mail it to you. He used SSK bats for most of his at bats last year.

Comment

Working...