Is don mattingly one of the most over rated players of all time?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fnazxc0114
    • Aug 2007

Is don mattingly one of the most over rated players of all time?

He had a four year stretch where he was good but beyond that his numbers arent anything to be excited about.
    Baseball do what it do
    -Ron Washington
  • Mark17
    • May 2006

Re: Is don mattingly one of the most over rated players of all time?

At least Mattingly played outstanding defense.

My vote goes to Roger Maris. Yes, he hit 61 home runs one year, but his next-best home run total was 39, then 33. Those were the only 3 seasons he hit 30 or more homers. And, take it with a grain of salt, Jim Bouton in Ball Four says Roger was one of the all-time slackers.

It drives me nuts when I hear about the Yankee tandem of Mantle and Maris... Other than a couple years, it was all Mantle.

Comment

• legaleagle92481
      Banned
      • Oct 2009

Maris won two MVPS and was probably the only man to hit 61 homers without PDAs. The chase in many ways ruined his career and probably also shortened his life. He faced such tremendous and constant stress and pressure. He is not in the Hall and noone ever puts him on the list of even top 15-20 yankees. So I don't really think one could say he is overated.

Same for Mattingly he was one of the best players in the game for several years but he got hurt at his peak he was a batting champ, gold glover and mvp. Again noone says he is even a top ten yankee and he has not sniffed the Hall. So I don't see him as ovverated.

From a collectibles perspective both players are probably overvalued though.

One Yankee who belongs on any overated list though is Joba Chamberlain and his collectibles are overvalued.

Comment

• cjclong
        • Feb 2006

I don't think Mattingly is over rated I think most people regard him as very good All Star ballplayer, but not a Hall of Famer. If the hadn't been hurt his numbers might put him in a higher category, but he was excellent while he was healthy.

Comment

• flaco1801
          • Nov 2005

mattingly was a damn good ball player, had he not got hurt he would be in cooperstown, no doubt....

Comment

• mariner_gamers
            • May 2008

I started collecting cards in 1987 and just missed Don's huge years. Watching Mac, Canseco, etc I never really understood why that damn 1984 Donruss Mattingly was so expensive. Looking back now at his stats it is clear what the expectations were even into the very early 1990's. Folks felt he is going to to do 1985 or 1986 over again and move towards the Hall. It just never happened and I don't think Yankee fans can let it go nor should they.

Don WAS Yankee baseball at a time when there were no championships. He was gritty and played the game the way it should be played. For years I felt he was way overrated but now that I have lived through a full generation of my teams stars I understand his appeal. He transcends his numbers simply because whether you were 8 or 58 Mattingly was the common thread that represented NY baseball and how baseball should be played in general for an entire decade.
            Davis Emburey
            demburey@netzero.net
            Always looking for late 70's-late 80's Mariners game used bats!

Comment

• 3arod13
              • Apr 2006

Don Mattingly isn't overrated at all. He could have been much better without his back injury (herninated disk). He played through his pain, and his dedication to the game is well respected.

In m book, he's a Hall of Famer!
              Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                • Aug 2007

if we put him in the hall i guess we should put will clark in too.
                Baseball do what it do
                -Ron Washington

Comment

• R. C. Walker
                  • Nov 2005

Definitely not one of the most overrated players.

If it weren't for that fact he played for the Yankees, the HOF would not even be mentioned.

Extremely overrated = Joba Chamberlain.
                  R. C. Walker
                  sigpic

treborreklaw@hotmail.com

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                    • Aug 2007

i wonder what happened to joba? Did the yankees change pitching coaches? He used to be able to hit a 100 on the radar.
                    Baseball do what it do
                    -Ron Washington

Comment

• legaleagle92481
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2009

Here is an interesting question Kirby Puckett is in the Hall what makes him a HOFer and Don not? I am not advocating Don should be at all and Kirby is one of my fav players I am just curious how one is first ballot HOfer and other will probably never get in.

Comment

• Dach0sen0ne
                        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Fnazxc0114
                        i wonder what happened to joba? Did the yankees change pitching coaches? He used to be able to hit a 100 on the radar.
                        Joba looks out of shape and looks like he's gained some weight. Maybe he's been hitting the buffet with CC or something.

Comment

• 3arod13
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by 3arod13
                          Don Mattingly isn't overrated at all. He could have been much better without his back injury (herninated disk). He played through his pain, and his dedication to the game is well respected.

In m book, he's a Hall of Famer!
                          I didn't mean he was actually a "Hall of Famer." I meant with his determination to play through pain as long as he did, he's a hall of famer in my mind.

Yes, if he wasn't a Yankee, we wouldn't even be discussing it.
                          Regards, Tony

sigpic

~I'm sorry, I can't hear you....my World Series Ring is making too much NOISE! - Alex Rodriguez~

Comment

• Fnazxc0114
                            • Aug 2007

not sure why either, sympathy vote?

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                            Here is an interesting question Kirby Puckett is in the Hall what makes him a HOFer and Don not? I am not advocating Don should be at all and Kirby is one of my fav players I am just curious how one is first ballot HOfer and other will probably never get in.
                            Baseball do what it do
                            -Ron Washington

Comment

• Dewey2007
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by legaleagle92481
                              2 World Series titles. Although their stats are similar and they were both the heart and soul of their respective teams nothing separates players like postseason success. I also think Puckett was more consistent over his career then Mattingly. Plus I think it's safe to say that Puckett would have probably ended up with 3,000 career hits if he had not gotten glaucoma.
                              sigpicwww.alamedasportsproject.com

Comment

Working...