Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Clemens to be indicted

Quote Originally Posted by bscott View Post
    HOF chances for Roger: practically zero.
    Speaking of that, here's an interesting read...

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...lug=tsn-166032

It is sad to see practically a decade of baseball wiped out by steroids. It really gets me thinking, we've obviously seen many HOF calibur players the past 10-15 years, but a lot of them have the PED controversy hanging over their head. So how many guys from the last 10-15 years will get in? It'll just be odd to see names in the record books, but yet not in Cooperstown. Don't get me wrong, I'm OK with leaving out the PED users - as long as all of them are held to the same standard. If Bonds, or Clemens, or A-Rod, or Big Mac (the list goes on) get in, they all should.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    They use the power of the government to drag him up there, they put him on the spot, where he's going to be humiliated publicly no matter what he says, and then they manufacture THAT into a crime.
    Yea, the baseball public sure went crazy when Pettite admitted his PED use. If Clemens was smart, he would have done the same. Personally, I disagree with their PED use, but I have a ton of respect for Pettite by standing up like a man and admitting what he did. Unlike Bonds, Clemens, Palmerio, etc...

Apparently Clemens brought this upon himself in several ways...

http://www.newsweek.com/2010/08/19/c...ndictment.html

Quote Originally Posted by slambam View Post
    Yea, the baseball public sure went crazy when Pettite admitted his PED use. If Clemens was smart, he would have done the same. Personally, I disagree with their PED use, but I have a ton of respect for Pettite by standing up like a man and admitting what he did. Unlike Bonds, Clemens, Palmerio, etc...
    How can you respect Pettite for using PEDs? As far as admitting it, he was paying attention to what was happening to the other guys and made a calculated decision to admit it. I have more respect for the lawyer(s) advising him to confess than I do for him.

Pettite's strategy was better than Clemens', that's all.

Banned

As a great judge once said (I forget exactely who) you could indict a ham sandwich. As a veteran attorney I can tell you an indictment means nada. In front of the grand jury the defense cannot even present evidence or cross examine the prosecution's witnesses. The standard to indict is much lower than the standard to convict. To convict you need to prove the case beyond a reasonable doubt, which means no doubt for which you can give a reason. The government wastes our tax dollars on a case like this because it is a feather in the cap to those who bring the case. And if he goes to trial he probably walks he has enough fans left that he should be able to find at least one juror who will not vote to convict him and it will end in a hung jury every time they try the case until they give up.

Banned

That's my point. So, where's the REAL crime? Lying about something while testifying about something that didn't involve a crime in the first place.....

Isn't this what the term "entrapment" refers to? They use the power of the government to drag him up there, they put him on the spot, where he's going to be humiliated publicly no matter what he says, and then they manufacture THAT into a crime.

Not liking Clemens or what he did doesn't mean it's okay for Congress to do this to him. Frankly, it's abuse of power. They could call any of us up there to testify regarding something embarrassing in our past, and we either publicly 'fess up, or we get indicted.

I'm not a Clemens fan but this government is starting to scare me.
    Lying to Congress - now that's a joke in and by itself. trsent - Do we have a say? People are screaming but NO-ONE is listening. Instead, they are telling us what's best for us so just sit back, work hard, pay your taxes and Congress will dictate to you what's best for you.

But hey, America wanted "Change" and I'd say - we got it.

How can you respect Pettite for using PEDs? As far as admitting it, he was paying attention to what was happening to the other guys and made a calculated decision to admit it. I have more respect for the lawyer(s) advising him to confess than I do for him.

Pettite's strategy was better than Clemens', that's all.
    I never said I respected his use of PEDs. I said I respect the fact that he's the only athlete (that I can recall at least) who never denied it once his name came out. He didn't pull a Bonds or Clemens and deny everything, he didn't pull a Big Mac or A-Rod and deny it before admitting it, instead he stepped up and admitted it. People make mistakes, and at least he came out and told the truth. And sure it's a waste of tax dollars, but I think most of our tax dollars go to waste anyway.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slambam View Post
    I never said I respected his use of PEDs. I said I respect the fact that he's the only athlete (that I can recall at least) who never denied it once his name came out. He didn't pull a Bonds or Clemens and deny everything, he didn't pull a Big Mac or A-Rod and deny it before admitting it, instead he stepped up and admitted it. People make mistakes, and at least he came out and told the truth. And sure it's a waste of tax dollars, but I think most of our tax dollars go to waste anyway.
    do you really think andy fully disclosed his use? and what he used? its called admit to something relatively minor so people dont dig and find out the major stuff. he and roger were workout buddies and close friends and his dad was involved in a ped case at a texas gym where incidentally one of andys pals was a trainer and also involved.

How long ago was Bonds indicted? He still hasn't gone to trial. This could go on for a looooooooonnnnngggggg time.

When we are taking about Petitte and "PED's" lets be specific. Petitte admitted using HGH , not steroids, and that was to help him recover from an injury. I frankly don't understand why we ban anything for an athlete recovering from an inury. If we complain about it being artificial, why don't we ban Tommy John surgery. That is the most "artifical" thing possible, takng a body part out of your leg and putting it in your arrm. To me using sometning to help recovery from an injury , even if someone used sterodis, is different form using drugs to enhance performance. How is that different from surgery. As far as whether Pettite lied, he has a reputaiton as a truthful man. Apparently his Christain fath is imporant to him That isn't to say that he should be considered a truthful person because he claims to be a Christian. There are plenty of people who claim to be Christians who are obvious liars. But many people who do take their religions serosuly, whether they are Muslims, Hindus, Jewish, etc., take their truth telling obligation seriously. That is why we give the oath to tell the truth before testimony. Of course the oath won't stop a person who is deternined to lie from lying, but it does encourage those who take their religion seriously to tell the truth.