Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White Sox Appling ebay jersey

In case you’re thinking of bidding on this jersey, here’s some food for thought.

The seller claims this is a 1948 White Sox road jersey from Hall of Famer Luke Appling. He also claims the jersey was worn in 1947 by Hall of Famer Red Ruffing in his final season. The jersey apparently had number 34 on back and was changed to number 4. Red Ruffing wore number 34 in his final season of 1947. How someone can claim this jersey traveled back in time to 1947 to be worn by another Hall of Famer is beyond me. Keep in mind the jersey is tagged from 1948, but the seller believes it was also worn the previous season by another Hall of Famer.

Another problem with the jersey is the strip tag in the collar. Apparently when the strip tag fell off or was removed, only the number 4 was left visible. How convenient was that? A proper collar strip tag from a 1948 Appling jersey would say ‘Appling 4’. I’m guessing the original strip tag to this jersey had another players name with a number 14 or 24.

Another problem with the jersey is the size. I’ve researched five other Appling jerseys including his coaches jerseys when he was a bit heavier and he never wore a size larger than 44. The offered jersey is a size 46.

The final problem with the jersey is the number 4 on back. The font is clearly different from the correct font from that era and looks hand cut. Also the stitching on the inside of the jersey for the number 4 should not be a bright red but should be an off white color since the stitching is over 60 years old.

Now if you told me Barry Halper once owned this jersey, I’d not be very surprised due to all the elaborate forgeries coming to light. This jersey would fit right into his collection.

And yes, I did contact the seller but he could care less about what I have to say. If you care, you’d be wise to stay away from this one. I could use the Chicago lettering on the front of the jersey to restore one of mine, but that’s about all this jersey is good for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Mike

Looking for any White Sox jersey from Richie Zisk.

My website - http://www.freewebs.com/karamaxjoe/

"There are only two seasons - winter and Baseball"
    ~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Re: White Sox Appling ebay jersey

Quote Originally Posted by karamaxjoe View Post
    In case you’re thinking of bidding on this jersey, here’s some food for thought.

The seller claims this is a 1948 White Sox road jersey from Hall of Famer Luke Appling. He also claims the jersey was worn in 1947 by Hall of Famer Red Ruffing in his final season. The jersey apparently had number 34 on back and was changed to number 4. Red Ruffing wore number 34 in his final season of 1947. How someone can claim this jersey traveled back in time to 1947 to be worn by another Hall of Famer is beyond me. Keep in mind the jersey is tagged from 1948, but the seller believes it was also worn the previous season by another Hall of Famer.

Another problem with the jersey is the strip tag in the collar. Apparently when the strip tag fell off or was removed, only the number 4 was left visible. How convenient was that? A proper collar strip tag from a 1948 Appling jersey would say ‘Appling 4’. I’m guessing the original strip tag to this jersey had another players name with a number 14 or 24.

Another problem with the jersey is the size. I’ve researched five other Appling jerseys including his coaches jerseys when he was a bit heavier and he never wore a size larger than 44. The offered jersey is a size 46.

The final problem with the jersey is the number 4 on back. The font is clearly different from the correct font from that era and looks hand cut. Also the stitching on the inside of the jersey for the number 4 should not be a bright red but should be an off white color since the stitching is over 60 years old.

Now if you told me Barry Halper once owned this jersey, I’d not be very surprised due to all the elaborate forgeries coming to light. This jersey would fit right into his collection.

And yes, I did contact the seller but he could care less about what I have to say. If you care, you’d be wise to stay away from this one. I could use the Chicago lettering on the front of the jersey to restore one of mine, but that’s about all this jersey is good for.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Thanks for the information.

Banned

Question Re: White Sox Appling ebay jersey

This heavily doctored jersey was given an A5 by MEARS...I wonder what their LOO on the item has to say about it.

Dave Miedema

Dave, I looked in the MEARS data base and no 1948 is up on line. would love to get the # or copy of letter to confirm. We have a 47 home on line but no 48. Get me a number or copy of letter to confirm.

Dave B,

I can tell you that jersey was originally in a Sothebys auction labeled as a Cubs jersey with a MEARS letter. The lot was subsequently pulled and I hadn't seen the jersey until it showed up on ebay.
    Mike

~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CommentsRed Ruffing wore number 34 in 1947, but no one is listed with that number in 1948. Luke Appling wore number 4 from 1948-49, however this jersey was issued as a number 34 in 1948. It is possible that it was worn by Appling, but there is no way to tell. (this is the comment section on this jersey clearly stating that nobody was issed number 34 in 1948, having been changed to a number 4 after initial issue, could have been worn but clearly stated that there is no evidence as such.Also, ther is no mention of Ruffing wearing this shirt in 1947 either, only that he wore number 34 in 1947. Could it have been made for him in spring training of 1948?, stripped and changed for Appling later in 1948? We make no claims as to either) Hope this helps.

Dave B,

Does the MEARS letter address the strip tag in the collar or the font on the number 4? Somebody obviously removed the first part of the collar strip tag and left a visible number 4.

The photos below on the left shows a 1946 road Appling with the proper uniform number font. The photo on the right is the poor attempt at a number 4. I don't believe they changed fonts from 1946 to 1948. The strip tag in the collar did change to the players name and uniform number in 1948.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Mike

~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned

Thumbs up Re: White Sox Appling ebay jersey

The conveniently torn collar tag on this jersey reminds me of a similar, though slighlt more frequently encountered problem in the 1980s...Don Bryant (#31) and Kim Andrew/Ramon Aviles (#11) Red Sox gamers that, by virtue of a year tag that "washed out" (even though the other tags were still intact and solidly affixed) were suddenly "transformed" into Fergie Jenkins and Luis Aparicio jerseys...illicitly, of course.

Dave Miedema

MEARS letter simply titles the jersey a 1948 White Sox jersey, number 4 changed from 34, no inference to Appling, hence, I did not find it when I looked up Appling.

I think the letter is in dire need of a do over. Everything from the possibly altered collar strip tag to the wrong size to the funky number on back would scare me away from this jersey. I don't know if this qualifies for an 'unable to authenticate', but it has to come close.
    Mike

~ Bill Veeck

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]