Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Re: 6 charged with fraud

Not meaning to get off track here, but the "photo-matching" issue keeps rearing its ugly head in this thread. I always say, each to their own in the comfort level and parameters they set for themselves in collecting game-used items, but to say that "photo matching" should be a rule of thumb for collectors is simply not realistic or feasible for anyone who collects uniforms worn prior to the 21st century. Finding an exact "photo match" of these items is very difficult for a variety of reasons ranging from less available media resources (Getty Images, television coverage, etc.) to the fact that uniforms were worn in multiple games and were washed after each game. Unwashed jerseys were almost unheard of until recently.

If collectors were depending on photo matches of these older items, they would not have much of a collection. Many of these collectors depend on reference material such as programs, yearbooks, newspaper photos, game film, etc., to research for "style matches" on the items they collect as it is nearly impossible to find an exact "photo match" on these older items. In addition to reference material, these collectors depend on communicating with other collectors who have similar interests or knowledge in these areas, viewing the collections of others in the hobby, sorting through the inventory of dealers when possible (at The National or other collector shows, visiting their facilities, etc.), and any other resources that are available.

Again, my apologies for getting off track, but it I felt that it was important to point this out, especially to the newer collectors who might feel that photo matching and letters of authenticity (another discussion for another day) are an automatic requirement before considering a purchase. By far, the majority of legitimate items in this hobby cannot be photo-matched. If you don't feel comfortable without a photo-match (or not having a piece of paper telling you that it's real) that's your prerogative, but you will be missing out on many fine jerseys such as my nice Bears durene jerseys when it comes time for me to sell my collection

Mark Hayne
    Gridiron Exchange
    gixc@verizon.net

to say that "photo matching" should be a rule of thumb for collectors is simply not realistic or feasible for anyone who collects uniforms worn prior to the 21st century.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    If all the holier-than-thou's here stopped doing business with every dealer who's ever had an issue and returned everything they've bought from every dealer without a spotless record, your collections would be limited to a couple of items.......maybe.

But you would have that awesome "clear conscience" that's so fun to show off to your friends!
    We're not talking about "an issue" or dealers who don't have "a spotless record" because of maybe a few bad items they didn't know they sold. Rather, we are talking about deliberate misrepresentation and fraud. That's the issue here.

I don't do business with people I know who have deliberately faked and misrepresented game used. As I have said before, it could be my holy grail, but I'd rather sleep with the peace of mind knowing that I have bought from honest companies.

You know, there are times when I have missed out on something; I know this for a fact. But in the end, I would rather show off a clear conscience and good ethics to my friends than used clothing I may not know is even genuine.
    Les Zukor
    bagwellgameused@gmail.com
    Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
    (617) 682-0408

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 34swtns View Post
    Still sleep........like a baby.

Like I said, you have to assume anybody can get taken, you just have to educate yourself enough to make sure it's not you. Assume every seller is fallible, do your legwork, and you won't get had.

If all the holier-than-thou's here stopped doing business with every dealer who's ever had an issue and returned everything they've bought from every dealer without a spotless record, your collections would be limited to a couple of items.......maybe.

But you would have that awesome "clear conscience" that's so fun to show off to your friends!
    I don't show off my "clear conscience" to anyone. I don't even have a clear conscience because I sin everyday.

BUT you don't have to keep showing off your "I don't care if others get ripped off" attitude to all of us. We get it.

so i was just buying a couple hugo boss jackets at saks 5th ave and while checking out i asked the sales associate how do i know these are real and not knockoffs, he looked at me like i was a jackass and asked me if i was serious and i said yea. he then explained to me "sir this is saks 5th ave we dont sell knockoffs" i again asked him "how do i know these are real" his response "we have a reputation to uphold, we sell high-end fashion so why would we risk that to buy and resell knockoffs? If we did that and someone found out our relataionships with customers and designers would be over and saks would be no more."

ummm....

You should have asked him if he had photomatches for the jackets or if they came with a COA signed by Hugo Boss :-)

Quote Originally Posted by cubbs1232 View Post
    so i was just buying a couple hugo boss jackets at saks 5th ave and while checking out i asked the sales associate how do i know these are real and not knockoffs, he looked at me like i was a jackass and asked me if i was serious and i said yea. he then explained to me "sir this is saks 5th ave we dont sell knockoffs" i again asked him "how do i know these are real" his response "we have a reputation to uphold, we sell high-end fashion so why would we risk that to buy and resell knockoffs? If we did that and someone found out our relataionships with customers and designers would be over and saks would be no more."

ummm....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    You should have asked him if he had photomatches for the jackets or if they came with a COA signed by Hugo Boss :-)
    LMAO best reply post so far.

Wink Re: 6 charged with fraud

Quote Originally Posted by Dewey2007 View Post
    If I post high res photos of them can anyone match them for me please?

Banned

Well sir it looks like that loose thread by the upper arm seam matches this one here in the autumn catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by cubbs1232 View Post

ummm....
    So now we've resorted to making fun of other posters who are merely stating their opinion. Even if you don't like what the other poster has said it is that of an opinion which is entitled to everyone on this board. We are all collectors on all different levels, with all different views on things. Just because someone else's opinion doesn't match yours, doesn't give you the right to make fun.

Just my 2 cents ...