Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register
Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Re: 6 charged with fraud

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    I also don't understand the logic, rather morals, of collectors who buy from dealers who they know cheat others, "as long as they don't cheat me." Do you call 911 when you see a someone burglarizing your neighbor's house, or do you save the phone call for only when yours is broken into?

Lastly, if you buy from a company you know has cheated and you know the hobby knows has cheated. do you disclose this provenance at sale or do you suppress it? Is hiding this provenance to preserve your sell price ethical? Is it legal?
    Well said, it is amazing that there are so many people that will be accepting of these things unless it happens to them. For the sake of the hobby, we need to support the feds identifying and removing these bad jerseys from the market.

Innocent until proven guilty....Palehose, I think most members are just stating their opinions and options to chose who to deal with. Some are willing to take a chance with JO and others won't touch them with a 10 foot stick right now. The term innocent until proven guilty is only a legal term; within one's opinion, they have the right to cast doubt or guilt for as minor reason as they want.

Alot of it comes down to morals and reputation. Many collectors hold their morals to a high level and take major offense to the thought that they have been taken, or moreso risk their reputation when they resell items.

Speaking of morals, reputation, and opinion. While some posts say they are just playing devil's advocate, many opinions are being made about people's acceptance of the lack of morals...

Now that this has happened, Maybe its time for the NFL to follow MLB and do their own authenticating. This has worked out well for baseball, and if football can do it in house, it would solidify the usage, and practically eliminate the need for second tier companies to do authenticating or dealers doing their own "research". The NFL has enough employees and resources that surely this could be done. It is time.

As for JO sports, years back, the first thing I saw for sale from them was a Jamarcus Russell helmet at $2500.00 . I laughed and knew these guys weren't for me, and I never bothered to look at any of their stuff again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trublubrucru View Post
    Now that this has happened, Maybe its time for the NFL to follow MLB and do their own authenticating. This has worked out well for baseball, and if football can do it in house, it would solidify the usage, and practically eliminate the need for second tier companies to do authenticating or dealers doing their own "research". The NFL has enough employees and resources that surely this could be done. It is time.
    I certainly agree. The hard thing for us to realize in the hobby is that the game used merchandising segment is not particularly financially relevant to the leagues (or teams).

Only MLB and NFL could speak on behalf of their own positions, but clearly MLB created a high standard already and is pretty far along not only in scaling up its authentications but in refining its processes to authenticate more relevant items.

MLB had two purposes (beyond financial) that I can recognize. 1) Its sport has a strong historic element and it has a clear need for grassroots benefits, 2) its authentic items and false items were challenging to differentiate in the marketplace

Given that the NFL has a comparatively larger influx of young fans from the fantasy hobby and the pace and contact nature of its game, I expect that investing in an authentication process similar to MLB has not been a priority.

However, now that MLB has set the standard and a number of its member organizations have been caught with their pants down after signing with JO, the NFL very well may determine to create its own system for authentic merchandise.

Banned

There is no excuse as to why any sports league does not have a system to track all jerseys that involves installing something on a jersey to do so before it is ever even worn. I believe the NBA did that last season. This is a big business and many teams whether through JO or otherwise sell their jerseys in some way shape or form so the leagues should make what in the big picture is a small investment that would be a major step toward cleaning up the industry going forward. The idea of photomatching every purchase is great in theory but in my opinion in practice it is highly idealistic. As other posters have said you cannot photomatch washed jerseys, for lesser players and older jerseys pictures may not be available and in other cases a match may not just be possible due to the lack of distinctive markings on the jersey such as many NBA jerseys, QB and kicker jerseys. Plus NFL Auctions often provides terrible photos of the products they are offering that would be impossible in most cases to use for a photomatch. And try asking them for additional pictures that request is not likely to be fulfilled if the way they normally respond to questions is an indication. Yes of course you have the option not to buy but it limits ones ability to collect greatly. I also think when you buy from companies like JO, Steiner and MeiGray, as when you buy directly from the league you pay a premium over what you would pay from a smaller seller and the purpose of that premium is to receive peace of mind and a no doubt about it authentic product. The onus to do the work should not be on the collector in these situations but the seller, thats what your paying extra for.

PSA/DNA uses that invisible DNA marker on items, and has catalogued stuff for NFL Auctions before. There's an idea of how the NFL could have things marked and verified.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    PSA/DNA uses that invisible DNA marker on items, and has catalogued stuff for NFL Auctions before. There's an idea of how the NFL could have things marked and verified.
    Do they do that before or after the item is worn? Another way is how Barry does it in his hockey program with a special tag I believe.

Did JO change their name? Just got an email from them that said it was from "Game Worn NFL".

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    Did JO change their name? Just got an email from them that said it was from "Game Worn NFL".

I don't know, but I would like to have and LOA attesting to this change so I know it's really happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jags Fan Dan View Post
    I got one too. JO Logo is still incorporated into the email.
    Bill Heagy
    heagysports.com
    Go Phillies !

Banned

I did notice under their section "Partnership team" the college team names they work with have been removed. Does anyone know if they lost their deals with these teams or what?