Thoughts on COA's/LOA's vs Photomatches....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • joelsabi
    • Aug 2005

Re: Thoughts on COA's/LOA's vs Photomatches....

1) All COA are not created equal. Team COA, COAs from respected third party authenticator with special knowledge, or COA from exclusive player dealers have more weight to me. Some COA are worthless to me such as a COA from a mom and pop sports memorabilia dealer. No COA is the same as a lost respected COA, destroyed COA, and a worthless COA.

2) Conclusive Photomatch are better than a style match. Many cases of photomatches are not conclusive. A style match however has its merits since its not about matching a photo but having the right characteristics for that jersey at that time period. Style match can be based on matching a star player jersey with a common players jersey. Comparing the player jersey to game photos of the teammate's jersey can also be helpful for a style match.

That being said my preference is
    1) Photomatch with Respected COA
    2) Stylematch with Respected COA
    3) Photomatch with no COA or worthless COA
    4) Stylematch with no COA
    Regards,
    Joel S.
    joelsabi @ gmail.com
    Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• ousooner_85
      • Aug 2012

Well said Joel....I like your way of thinking on the matter.

Comment

• otismalibu
        • Nov 2005

Conclusive Photomatch are better than a style match.
        A recent poll also suggests that 8/10 Americans prefer pleasure to pain.

Many cases of photomatches are not conclusive.
        Well, then it's NOT a photomatch is it?

If everyone had the same definition of 'photomatch', I don't see how it could ever be trumped by a style match.

How 'bout an atypical jersey (wrong size, incorrect NOB font) with 3 respected COAs?
        Greg
        DrJStuff.com

Comment

• joelsabi
          • Aug 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
          A recent poll also suggests that 8/10 Americans prefer pleasure to pain.

Well, then it's NOT a photomatch is it?

If everyone had the same definition of 'photomatch', I don't see how it could ever be trumped by a style match.

How 'bout an atypical jersey (wrong size, incorrect NOB font) with 3 respected COAs?
          Greg,
          I state the obvious to show my reasoning. I am not an expert of forging game use but I am thinking game usage can be forged given enough time and dedication through trial an error. People forge master paintings. I imagine marks and tear on jersey can be forged. When that time comes, it will go back to where did the jersey come from, ie. a respect COA.

I respect a Mears A10-A6 more than a do a Mear A5.
          Regards,
          Joel S.
          joelsabi @ gmail.com
          Wanted: Alex Rodriguez Game Used Items and other unique artifacts, 1992 thru 1998 only. From High School to Early Mariners.

Comment

• otismalibu
            • Nov 2005

I state the obvious to show my reasoning. I am not an expert of forging game use but I am thinking game usage can be forged given enough time and dedication through trial an error. People forge master paintings. I imagine marks and tear on jersey can be forged. When that time comes, it will go back to where did the jersey come from, ie. a respect COA.
            Oh, I'm sure the usual suspects are adding 'light but definite use' as we speak. I've just heard too many tales about 'respected' sources.

I respect a Mears A10-A6 more than a do a Mear A5.
            I've never really understood A5 grade. Maybe - maybe not. Still, I'm sure there are many that are triple matted and framed.
            Greg
            DrJStuff.com

Comment

• joelsabi
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by otismalibu
              Oh, I'm sure the usual suspects are adding 'light but definite use' as we speak. I've just heard too many tales about 'respected' sources.

I've never really understood A5 grade. Maybe - maybe not. Still, I'm sure there are many that are triple matted and framed.
              I've never understood 'light but definite use' either.
              Regards,
              Joel S.
              joelsabi @ gmail.com

Comment

• kprst6
                • Mar 2011

A piece of paper with some writing on it is... just a piece of paper with some writing on it. A hologram on something is... just a hologram on something. There is no way to know something is 100% authentic without a solid photo-match. Some of the comments in this thread are ridiculous at best. There are plenty of items that were mislabeled or even fake that have come directly from the NFL, MLB, MLB teams and auctions with legitimate COA's. There is no way I would buy a $5,000.00 item just because a piece of paper says it's real. You must always do your homework and compare to other examples of the same player, year, etc. There is way to much generalization with no proof. Show me examples of these so called dealers that say an item is photo-matched when its just a reference?

Comment

Working...