Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sportsnbikes
    • Sep 2012

Re: George Springer MLB Debut Jersey going for $5,000

I hope my Lil Springer lineup card sells for even a fraction of either of the lineup cards that were sold at MLB Auction.

Comment

• frikativ54
      • Dec 2007

Looks like the Astros are mass-producing Springer's BP/Sunday Alternate jerseys. The one from this MLB Auction is Set 6, and George hasn't even been up in the Big Leagues for two full months.

I had always admired the integrity that the Astros showed in not overproducing star players' jerseys. However, the last time I talked to Mike Acosta, he told me that, to meet demand, certain players would be wearing more jerseys.

While I understand where people are coming from, I don't get the appeal of a jersey worn in only one game, unless it is a from a significant milestone/achievement.
      Les Zukor
      bagwellgameused@gmail.com
      Collecting Jeff Bagwell Cleats, Jerseys, & Other Items

http://www.bagwellgameused.com
      (617) 682-0408

Comment

• frikativ54
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by sportsnbikes
        I hope my Lil Springer lineup card sells for even a fraction of either of the lineup cards that were sold at MLB Auction.
        Looks like everyone is trying to cash in on Springer. There is a lineup card from George's first 4 for 4 game and 8th career HR, with an asking price of $5,995 on eBay.
        Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• BamaHater
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by frikativ54
          Looks like the Astros are mass-producing Springer's BP/Sunday Alternate jerseys. The one from this MLB Auction is Set 6, and George hasn't even been up in the Big Leagues for two full months.

I had always admired the integrity that the Astros showed in not overproducing star players' jerseys. However, the last time I talked to Mike Acosta, he told me that, to meet demand, certain players would be wearing more jerseys.

While I understand where people are coming from, I don't get the appeal of a jersey worn in only one game, unless it is a from a significant milestone/achievement.
          I was at the game last night and they had that jersey on display with a sign telling you about how it was on MLB auctions. This season they seem to be putting the bigger named players i.e. Springer and Altuve on MLB auctions and selling the lesser names/coaches at the ballpark. As far as the set 6 on the BP/Sunday jersey is concerned, you have to realize they wore these all of Spring Training, every game for BP and all Sunday games. They have separate sets they wear for BP and for Sunday games. Not saying they are not wearing more jerseys these days however with the mult. uses for these jerseys I'd expect more sets to be used. The demand for items from players like Springer and Singleton is there so they are putting more stuff on the market. If you look at the recent Springer items and the selling prices demand is there.

Comment

• frikativ54
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by BamaHater
            As far as the set 6 on the BP/Sunday jersey is concerned, you have to realize they wore these all of Spring Training, every game for BP and all Sunday games. They have separate sets they wear for BP and for Sunday games. Not saying they are not wearing more jerseys these days however with the mult. uses for these jerseys I'd expect more sets to be used. The demand for items from players like Springer and Singleton is there so they are putting more stuff on the market. If you look at the recent Springer items and the selling prices demand is there.
            The thing about Springer is that he only changed to #4 after his call-up. I believe he was wearing a number in the seventies for ST. Yes - It would make sense that there would be more BP/Sunday alternates produced. But, since you saw the jersey in person, I want to ask: Did it show many signs of use? From looking at the photos in the auction, it appeared like it had been worn maybe once, and twice would be the most liberal estimate.

The Mariners auction off a bunch of one or two game used jerseys, and it sours me on the hobby. I like a good, pounded shirt, but I think these are becoming a thing of the past - at least for star players. Ten years from now, are these newer, mass-produced jerseys going to be worth anything, when my own retail authentics show more wear than the players' gamers?
            Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• sox83cubs84
              Banned
              • Apr 2009

And if George Springer ends up being the next Joe Charboneau, there are gonna be some downright MISERABLE game used buyers.

Dave Miedema

Comment

• BamaHater
                • Jan 2009

The thing about Springer is that he only changed to #4 after his call-up. I believe he was wearing a number in the seventies for ST. Yes - It would make sense that there would be more BP/Sunday alternates produced. But, since you saw the jersey in person, I want to ask: Did it show many signs of use? From looking at the photos in the auction, it appeared like it had been worn maybe once, and twice would be the most liberal estimate.

The Mariners auction off a bunch of one or two game used jerseys, and it sours me on the hobby. I like a good, pounded shirt, but I think these are becoming a thing of the past - at least for star players. Ten years from now, are these newer, mass-produced jerseys going to be worth anything, when my own retail authentics show more wear than the players' gamers?
                Didn't take that good of look at the jersey but from what I saw it did not show that much use. Like you said the jersey was probably only used 1-2 times at best.

Comment

• jwal23
                  • Sep 2011

I was at the game last night and I saw the springer jersey in the case behind the counter but it was tough to get a good look at the use, you could only see the back side of the jersey
                  Always on the lookout for Evan Longoria GU items
                  txacerj23@aol.com

Comment

• frikativ54
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by helf35
                    $3,600 for a hat? Is this really happening? 5K for the line up card? 10K for the camo jersey? The deal of all the auctions is the 79' lot. At least you get a batting helmet and cap included. This guy has some serious cash flow laying around to be winning every auction. Did this guy win the debut jersey as well? All I can say is my mind has been blown!
                    The Springer Camo jersey and hat are up for auction again...
                    Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

• 5toolplayer
                      • Apr 2011

The Springer Camo jersey and hat are up for auction again...

Yeah how does that happen?? "Bidders" throw out these crazy insane high bids and keep jumping the prices on all these items and then just dont pay? Sounds like a marketing machine at work
                      5TOOLPLAYER@COMCAST.NET

Comment

• frikativ54
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by 5toolplayer
                        Yeah how does that happen?? "Bidders" throw out these crazy insane high bids and keep jumping the prices on all these items and then just dont pay? Sounds like a marketing machine at work
                        I'm not sure how to take your comment. Are you suggesting that Springer's people were artificially inflating the prices on his items?
                        Les Zukor

(617) 682-0408

Comment

Working...